More New Mexico Gold

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BamaDuke

Reaction score
KIMG0031.JPGKIMG0040.JPGHi All,

My buddy and I just got back from a week at the claim (see another Gold thread below), and we did alright. This trip was he and I and our ladyfriends, and I did all of the diggin'. Of course, that meant we didn't collect near as much as usual :p

There was a pretty good rain a few weeks before the trip. We went to the westernmost bridge in Hillsboro and did some panning. We got almost 2/10 of an ounce (6 grams) in about an hour and a half. We then spent 3 days digging on the claim (3 hours a day), and got 3/4 of an oz (22 gr).

Hopefully some pics will show up...
The pan was from Percha Creek in Hillsboro, and the vial has .228 oz gold, my share of the loot.

Our next trip will be in March, and I'll announce it beforehand. This trip was spur of the moment.

Bama Duke

Attachments

• KIMG0048.JPG
    KIMG0048.JPG
    1.5 MB
  • KIMG0040.JPG
    KIMG0040.JPG
    986.6 KB
  • KIMG0026.JPG
    KIMG0026.JPG
    885.5 KB
  • KIMG0031.JPG
    KIMG0031.JPG
    1.2 MB
dang bama that looks sweet. would like to hook up with you one day and shovel some paydirt. that looks pretty chunky, do you get a lot of fines there to. highdesertranger

It looks like a good time was had by all! I love prospecting as a hobby! It's perfect for vandwellers!
Bob

LOL!! Cheech and Chong...

We don't get many fines, because of the way we collect the dirt. We shovel into a screen over a 5 gallon bucket, shake a few seconds, and toss the oversize stuff. We can't carry enough water to wash each rock. In the past, we have carried water, and gotten more fines. It turns out not to be worth the work. We figure we lose less than 2% of the gold that we shovel, and washing would double the time spent. Wouldn't be prudent...

We invite everyone to join us, usually. This trip was an audible when I suddenly had some vacation time. Anyone willing to wield a shovel for a couple of hours a day will be invited to the next outing. I will try to give 60 days notice. We will probably look at going next March.

Bama

****Next Trip Scheduled****

I will make another post later, with some pics, but we have tentatively scheduled the next trip for the week starting 21 March. Anyone interested in invited to join, and we'll make sure everybody goes home with some gold. Start practicin' your shovel work :)

Bama

Shucks I'm already IN New Mexico (Albuquerque) If at all possible I would love to come along.Already have panning gear and shovel! Keep me posted please!!!! :)

We're a bit south of you. The claim is near Hillsboro, and we usually stay in Truth or Consequences. We have the equipment at an RV park at I-25 and Hwy 152. Near Caballo State Park. It's named Lakeview RV Park. We will probably arrive late Sat night, and be at the RV park Sunday the 22nd mid-morning. The RV park is a nice place to stay if u have an RV, but we drive my buddy's Sprinter and stay at the Ace Motel for $185 a week. They also have cabins for rent, about $28 a night.

Bama

I'd love to get into gold panning I bought some panning gear about two years ago and never used it.
I been metal detecting for many years, on and off. The last 20 years I been metal detecting in rivers and lakes.
That's where the good jewelry is, under water.
Notice by the post dates, most gold panning is done during the winter months.
New Mexico would be the closest from where I live to go....
Good luck...

Everyone is invited. We have shovels, pans, and a big rotary wash plant. If someone wants to just come and dig a bucket of dirt to take home and pan, that's fine, too. I'll tell ya where to dig :)

I have good detectors, but just haven't practiced enough to consider myself proficient. A guy from MN came in a couple years back, and found 2 nuggets in a couple of hours. About 3 grams each. We took detectors on the last trip, and my ladyfriend found a 1945 Liberty dime in the middle of the creek. On the surface. While watching me swing the $800 detector ten feet away. Life ain't fair.

Bama

What kind of metal detector do you recommend? I have 4, one is a old 6000DI Whites, that will detect mineral (TR) and metals. Bought it back in 1986. I believe it's the best land metal detector I ever used, but I still love my Fishers aqua under water detector. Guess we would be looking for mineral? Is this wet or dry panning?

gojo just a heads up, native gold is a metal. any detector will find gold although some work better than others. it's all the other junk that the detector hits on that messes you up. highdesertranger

I'm excited! One of my daughters has a metal detector she would let me borrow too.I'm in a mini van so I may just camp in it but as time gets closer that may change.Looking forward to this ; am I getting gold fever already? LOL! have a great weekend and I'll be following these posts !

gsfish said:
This is something I have always wanted to do, maybe one year. I have been picking up some pans along the way and found a new Royal folding sluice box a month or so ago for $20!

Good luck in your eff
When I state mineral setting, referring to black sand.

Back in the 70s you could purchase a TR detector that specialize in gold. The 6000Di has both. (black sand) If there's black sand there should be gold.