Mobile... Geodesic tiny house, yes?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie W

Reaction score
Hi

Sometime during the last century (after surviving that crazy institution aka 'high-school'), got into 1st. Abode = cutest little TINY house
At 14 by 20 /280 sf.ft. it had a couch, fridge, stove, table, 2 chairs, bathroom for $120/m rent (only bad: Stuck in boring deserted desert)   
YET in colorful earthen pots I could grow on both 20 ft. sides/400 sf.ft. my own nutrient-rich Veggies & Berries & Herbs & Flowers, yeah !
You know where this is going, Right ? ;)

(as a new US. citizen, unfortunately i got sucked into that next insane institution aka 'college', for even more insane jobs, yikes!
I reminded profs: "NO 'job' do i care for. Instead I WANT TO *STAY MINDFULLY... ALIVE*
For 30+ years it was one insanity, after another. - Why (on GOD's GREEN EARTH) humans want more $$ ? unless we help others also therefrom benefit...
Just when HOPE grew dimmer,
I found in boondocks another kinda Tiny house, with acres... to again grow nutrient-rich Veggies & Berries & Herbs & Flowers
But more Economic-insanity intervened, so in process of extricating from that again.)  Simply to live in the home of my dreams...

You know where this is going, Right ?  :D  Yes,
do you think it is possible... to live in a Mobile... Geodesic Dome.  Scaled-down from http://pacificdomes.com/new-life-in-a-dome/ but
kind of like a Gigantic TURTLE where one can continue growing nutrient-rich :heart: Veggies & Berries & Herbs & Flowers, yeah !

Since all progress is powered by our happy & joyful IMAGINATION, some fashion of this should be do-able. What do you think ?

8'-6" wide x 13'-6" tall max for trailers in the US. 8' wide max for motor homes. I'd stick with an 8' base diameter dome and see how tall it gets on top of a trailer. Might be a funny looking trailer too as you build the dome on top of it. I'll venture a guess that it would be a real head turner and you'll get a lot of folks pointing at it.

2vretro_trailer_med.jpg

WOW (except for a car) that is soo KEWL !! :) Let's make it Lavender+Salmon my 2 favorite colors.  Thanks, Motrukdriver

The reason I Omitted in the OP the 13 feet tall for bridges..., plus 8 feet wide for lanes..., is that 'HOVER-crafts' :D would come in
handy to fly-low... over the bridges, & over the road-sides...

Never cared for (conventional BOXes) that too many only believe is reality.
Nope, merely society's reality. That I have for the most part rejected, in favor of my own beliefs, & also helped a few others make their enlightened REALITY. Sooo true.

Well, a truck-GARDEN is kinda ho-hum; But you know maybe more easily doABLE...
sigh.
Maybe a KEYHOLE-garden would be better... to store... equipment in the TRUCK. All the above would be served in a Toyota Tacoma.

Okay & since I've proved for decades, that plants can+DO easily produce... in a mere inch of Nutrient-rich soil
what would be the gas mileage on these above MOBILE projects, anyway ??

Post edited for unecessary quoting.
Please review this post
https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=29922

Bucky Fuller's original designs always used a circular base, not practical for something that needs to be longer than wide.

But a variation could work and could both be designed to be strong and light, get good MPG and look cool.

Do some googling for PMF / Foamie designs using

site:tnttt.com

Note by reducing the triangles you approach the pure curves of the Airstream, another great non-box concept to consider.

I think Foamstream will help you get there at that other forum.

Hi Guy,
would you agree that all projects start... as a mental exercise? - most of mine, incldg. this one I've thought about living in, & building for over a decade, tho as a Stationary structure. - Yet after arriving in Bob's forum here, the thinking became "I could use this to travel... to where children are, since I dearly love children the younger :heart: the better" Why? well with Show+Tell they can experience...*How foods grow...* & these experiences... would stay with them as they too grow... so they can grow their own :) with their Mind+Body benefiting while at the same time enjoying Fun "
so
you ask: but is it practical? - in case nomads here think not, I can always stay local... & continue my many passionate projects as I have since age 18.

Even a large foam GD could easily be carried in kit form, and assembling it with the kids helping out would be a wonderful experience.

Don't worry about zoning if it doesn't stay up long, call it an art project.

A fellow in Arizona built a Hexa-Yurt ( with elongated sides) from foam insulation with water tanks built in on a small trailer for him and his family to go to Burning Man and other type events. Didn't even cover it just taped it together and roof coated it. Drove it at highway speeds pulled with a small car with no damage. I believe it was 6' x 12'. The fact both ends were tapored like an Air Stream shape he felt helped.

John61CT said:
Bucky Fuller's original designs always used a circular base.

Variation could work and could both be designed to be strong and light, get good MPG and look cool.
Hi John,
True, Bucky was another :) genius. Partly because he understood a tiny... part of GOD's  :heart: GENIUS.
see:
1. ever seen a rectangular planet ?? hell, no\\ GOD designed & created ALL/every planet *round*

2. so too Cells & all organic matter structured of them are in a rounded... shape. IGLOOS are just plain cool, lol

3. Therefore plant-foundations (Stems, & Trunks) are as well ROUND; as is each water-DROP.

4. And in construction are used Male + Female gizmo's that are ROUND. plus ENDLESS more rounds found in NATURE...
====
But then upon WISDOM, humanity assumes to improve ?? with their insufferably-boring-rectangular stuff called houses :rolleyes: no less.
and
as far as that "Airstream" contraption: why ?? would anybody wanna pay $50K+ for a blown-up sardine-TIN, lol
====
Clearly ROUNDed .......... is the intelligent way to go... :D

modern-rectangle-planters-2.jpg

Hehe! :cool:

Attachments

• modern-rectangle-planters-2.jpg
    modern-rectangle-planters-2.jpg
    248.9 KB
John61CT said:
Do some googling for PMF / Foamie designs using site:tnttt.com

I think Foamstream will help you get there
Hi again John,
Thanks so much for your generous Thinking for this project. Being able to further... give to the world in my passions is Soul-enriching...

okay something got lost in translation of my OP specifically SEE THIS link http://pacificdomes.com/new-life-in-a-dome/ - you see
it's translucent.
Tho in reality the mobile structure needs to LET SUN shine in..... for Optimal  :) PLANT-life...
 iow a choice of https://www.greenhousecatalog.com/greenhouse-covering so for mobile ROUNDed GREENHOUSE-project, which material to use ?
with possibly (partial at very center top) Netting used as a roof Allowing taller tree (like Moringa) to grow...
==
Project could use further explanation: Currently we live in a (as usual rectangular  :rolleyes: boring) stationary GREEN house; that
in winter months (Nov. thru March) I turn into a Greenhouse  :D kinda to over-winter plants... using the glass-windows.
obvious limitation is Height = 7 feet). - Fruit-trees (avocado, Moringa, etc) need more height.

So for ages now I've wanted to build an exterior ROUNDed-house), at least an OCTAGON...yet best Geodesic Dome.
(but city Zoning-fools limit 2ndary building sizes.) Hence a MOBILE platform, that Additionally can be transported  :) all over, ideally.

Understand how this all developed better now  ?

Just noticed this thread.  I've followed Geodesic design for some time now.   On a trailer with a round fore and aft  base one could construct a "Zome".  It is a Dome cut down through the center and joined together with a geodesic tunnel.  

Like this geodesic green house:

3d2f7f96aa73e38406c2a0d1fe803513.jpg

It would be fairly aerodynamic,  but it may be difficult to mount a roof air conditioner on.  Still the ventilation
in domes is a bit unique to rectangular structures. Note the roof vent in the end of this green house. 

I've seen structures like this covered with fairly thin expanded metal and that with a thin cover of "ferro cement" to make a thin shell.  That could be insulated from inside with sprayed in foam.  If the concrete cracks it can easily be mended with any number of coating treatments to keep the structure water proofed. 

Whether a trailer or a "Tiny Home" the cost of such a structure may be less than one would think.

Sad that you lost both.

However, just yesterday you Guy said "Of course it's possible..., Before I go further ...", while
now you sound like NOPE, this dream of yours has no chance of becoming reality ??
so
Since it IS possible, what kind of Modifications ? would build this into the success I envision... :)

Anyone who's spent much time keeping hedges and topiary trimmed knows what an affront they are to nature :cool:

But corners work well when cabinets and furniture are involved in a tiny space.

Lounging around on pods and pillows in a 30' diameter open space is very pleasant though.

And I'd love an Airstream in good shape, everything but the price.

hey Guy, & John,
can see you 2 fella's now, trying to drive your rigs down a freeway in Reverse :p  no?
see that works about the same as now trying to Back-peddle on this project, that you were doing so good on
Yeah,
to get this moving in a FORward direction as I asked: What modifications would be helpful for this mobile ZOME :cool:
quite like the sound of that too. & while waiting for your next suggestions,
understand only 10 kinds of Edibles would grow in it, while I would hangout in somfing suitable towing this zome.

So I'm picturing in my mind, a Geodesic Motorhome for city dwellers...

I'd call it the Geo Metro.

Wait...wasn't that a car?

:p

At $100grand plus delivery from overseas, I'd DIY thanks.

but cute!

Pardon the pun, but the sky's the limit with geodesic construction principles. 

Remember that in WW2 the Vickers Aviation Company in the UK built Bombers using
geodesic construction principles.  These were rugged and inexpensive to build while conserving
scarce materials needed to the war effort.  Note that structure is using criss-cross structure opposed
to hexagonal sections used in domes. 

6068085699_f545724953_b.jpg

Assembly line showing Bombers in production:

ww2vickwelling-1.jpg

wimpy01.jpg

If you can imagine things you can probably do them.

eDJ_Just noticed this thread.  I've followed Geodesic design for some time now.  
On a trailer with a round fore and aft  base one could construct a "Zome". 
It is a Dome cut down through the center and joined together with a geodesic tunnel.  

Like this geodesic green house:

3d2f7f96aa73e38406c2a0d1fe803513.jpg

It would be fairly aerodynamic,  but it may be difficult to mount a roof air conditioner on.  Still the ventilation
in domes is a bit unique to rectangular structures. Note the roof vent in the end of this green house. 

I've seen structures like this covered with fairly thin expanded metal and that with a thin cover of "ferro cement" to make a thin shell.  That could be insulated from inside with sprayed in foam.  If the concrete cracks it can easily be mended with any number of coating treatments to keep the structure water proofed. 

Whether a trailer or a "Tiny Home" the cost of such a structure may be less than one would think.
---------------------------
Hi dear person ,

I don't know your Name, - and
tho I silently Thanked you for both of your wonderful *picture*-Contributions... I appreciate soo much, I had not yet Responded.
Forgive me.

This past weekend my own discussion here got Sidelined because:
1. I was trying to help the moderators understand how they can help... people with Behavioral challenges, *change* ... :)
& also
2. I am waiting... for gsfish + John61CT to help make *this dream* reality :)
&
re "If you can imagine things you can probably do them." 
just so you know: I have been asked in nearly every context:  "Annie, does YOUR Imagination ever know any limits ? LOL" & for all things good  :angel: I surely hope not, LOL
so this part of the puzzle is already Well-established because my primary/preferred Rep-system is VISUAL.... I LOVE that above :heart: Greenhouse you shared, so much that I oogle it, sometimes Twice a day lol

Honestly John61CT there MUST be some way for little me to BUILD this, plus to MOVE this Greenhouse around ... surely ...

Latest posts