Minimalism for full-timers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting to think that a tent might count as an essential item for me too, in case the van gets stolen or totaled or something.

Ummm....but wouldn't the tent be....in your van?  :huh:

mockturtle said:
Ummm....but wouldn't the tent be....in your van?  :huh:

Come to think, if the van is totaled, I'll probably be doing plenty of sleeping in my hospital bed. Or in the cemetery.  :angel:

I carry a small tent with me and think it has enough uses to merit the space. Although my main reason is to use it as a model in photography which wouldn't apply to most of you.
Bob

mockturtle said:
I will second Harmonica Bruce's vote for the Jetboil.  I used mine for backpacking, kayak camping but now carry it in my RV as a backup.

Is the fuel proprietary?  It doesn't look like a standard propane bottle.

Yes, the little isobutane/propane canisters are proprietary because of the way the cooker fits onto them.

What about art?
I plan to at least have one piece of art hanging somewhere just to make the place feel more like a home than a storage shed with a bed. Even if I have to mount it on the ceiling.

I happen to agree. Art and books [kindle, at least] are essential. The only painting I have room for is one my late husband painted for me one Valentines Day. It's very special and also very lovely. My other paintings are all in storage.

I want to at least hang one of my nicer photos. I wonder if there's a market on the road for matted prints that can be hung with magnets.

Paisley777 said:

I have both a Snow Peak and a Jet Broil. They both say to only use their brand fuel, but I've interchanged theirs, and a couple other brands with no problem. As long as the bottles are the right type and screw on with no modifications I have never had a problem, but as always, when not following manufactures instructions, do so at you're own risk.

Paisley777 said:

I bought a can of fuel at walmart, "power gas" in the camping section.  It seems to be the same stuff, works great. Cheap!

(Is it my computer, or is the site being buggy?)(first it wouldn't load without failure messages, and now I can't tell if I am really replying to a Comment here) 

Reno Wrote:   Tell Me more (about free AC power hook-ups)

My answer:  Free power is where you find it.   
Once I used my phone to search for an "internet cafe"  and ended up finding a really kick-ass computer gaming center, complete with bar, food, pool tables.  Really, it was more like a sports bar, with a Computer Gaming center too.

Well, to make a short story long, I found a 110Vac plug on their external wall, so I plugged in the entire time I was inside.    It was so cool, that I stayed for hours, and even bought a sandwich & a beer, then napped inside my rig while charging.  

HarmonicaBruce said:
I bought a can of fuel at walmart, "power gas" in the camping section.  It seems to be the same stuff, works great.  Cheap!

That's good to know!

Matt71 said:
What about art?
I plan to at least have one piece of art hanging somewhere just to make the place feel more like a home than a storage shed with a bed. Even if I have to mount it on the ceiling.

I've been thinking the same thing.  I've got a finger-painting I did in kindergarten that I had framed 20+ years ago that I thought would be nice on the wall of my van, just to keep things a little less sterile.  That or you could hang one of those digital picture frames that changes the images automatically.   :p

You could take pictures of all the places you've bin and friends you've met and add them to a rotation in that digital picture frame to help relive the memories.

A couple hundred watts of solar on the roof, a solar charger, a couple golf cart batteries and a small inverter is as close to free ac power that you will get in this life. After the initial investment all you will have is battery replacement costs every 3-5 years (depending on the quality batteries you choose and how well you keep them charged and watered). On the cheap side, you can get GC-2 batteries at Sams for about $85 ea. Trojans have the potential to last a little longer but will cost a little more too - so it's sort of a wash. I have a cheapo 400/800 watt inverter that I've had since 2007 and it still works great. While hardly essential, a reliable source of both 12v and 110 power, even in small amounts, is very useful for powering fans, lights, water pumps for showering, power tools, compressor, electronic equipment (I often run a 19" TV/DVD player & laptop, others might run a radio/stereo or CB radio), portable fridge, charging batteries, phone, etc.

I have a single group 27 battery and a small camping generator that I run for a few hours every couple days to keep it charged up when off-grid in my Aliner. A couple hundred watts of solar would virtually eliminate the need for the 1/2 gallon a day (on average) gas expense and the noise and maintenance requirements of the generator for battery charging. Of course my little 1,200/1,500 watt Triron generator can run my 5,000 btu air conditioner, where a solar/battery set-up can't, so I still can't ditch the generator for peak temperature needs, but I'll sure be able to run it much less and not cycle my battery as deeply, making it last longer too.

Chip

I practice unintentional minimalism. Many of the things others list as bare essentials are in the "would be really nice to have someday" category for me. I've lived the past 2.5 months with no heater, camp stove, insulated clothing or thermals through a PNW winter. It wasn't exactly comfortable all the time but with a few good sleeping bags I managed.

Some absolute essentials for me have been:
  • Window tinting or windowless portions. Living out of the car there was no tinting and that made stealth entirely impossible. Whether by permanent tinting or the decal type, if there are windows in the living area then they've got to be tinted.
  • Some way to block line of sight between windows (minimum stealth necessity). Curtains or other full window blocking is nice, but the bare minimum I could (and have) lived with is blocking the silhouettes. I learned this from observing another vandweller's stealth fail.
  • LED headlamp with both red and white light options available in different brightnesses. Makes it possible to find things in the dark, makes it possible to remain stealthy when window coverings are less than adequate.
  • Synthetic sleeping bag(s). You must always have the option to get adequately warm at your fingertips. Always.
  • Some sort of padded surface to sleep on, that's either insulated or off the floor.
  • Drinking water
  • Shelf-stable food that requires no prep
  • Storage bins with lids that STAY ON.
  • Cell phone with data plan
  • Laptop (for sanity)
  • Ability to charge electronics from van battery (inverter)
  • Notebook and pen/pencil
  • Shoes & other basic clothing
  • Container to pee and poo in, if only for emergencies (I have learned how to poo in the Piddle Pail. Not recommended for everyone.)
  • Trash container that can also take vomit (HINT: broken ones leak. D'oh.)
Each of these factors are things that, if I didn't have, vandwelling would be a complete no-go for me until I did. There's lots of nice stuff out there to make vandwelling more comfy, but these are most of the things that I find makes it actually possible, for those without a lot of leeway.

Bitty, So good to see you posting again. And, I'm so amazed at the transformation from your first posts on this forum. You have learned so much about vandwelling since those early days. You now have that voice of experience. Congrats!

In addition to your list, I would consider someplace to sit essential. Although I know many have enough headroom to use their beds for sitting as well as sleeping. Also, self-cleaning supplies (toiletries). Because I spend time outside of cell range, my SPOT GPS Messenger device (with plan) for emergencies is also pretty close to essential for me. Everything else I carry, I consider niceties.

Suanne

Bitty said:

• Ability to charge electronics from van battery (inverter)
I don't claim to be an expert, but I think using an inverter to charge electronics is wasteful.  The inverter loses power converting 12v to 110ac, and your wall charger loses power converting the 110ac back to dc to charge batteries.  Better, I think, to use 12v chargers that plug into the cigarette lighter.  

Or, there are lots of places you can charge electronics for free.  I've found libraries, bars, some McDonalds, and laundromats.  The McDonalds I'm at right now (Saline, Mi) has an outlet, but it doesn't work.  I suspect it's controlled by a switch that is normally turned off.      

To your list I'd add a cooler (for beer of course), long underwear, and at least a harmonica (or ukulele, or both).  I have a big van so I have the luxury of having all my tools as well.

HarmonicaBruce said:
I don't claim to be an expert, but I think using an inverter to charge electronics is wasteful. ...  Better, I think, to use 12v chargers that plug into the cigarette lighter.  

Or, there are lots of places you can charge electronics for free.  I've found libraries, bars, some McDonalds, and laundromats.

The subject is minimalism, and I found getting an inverter was the more immediately cost-effective and simple solution than finding 12V cords to each of my electronics. But, to each his own. I hope to get the cords one of these days but I have higher priorities and zero free money floating around right now.

Before I had the inverter, my entire life revolved around finding ways to charge my electronics for free. The stress and hassle were intolerable for me - my life was not my own, it all revolved around keeping my communications equipment fed. I'd attend free social events I didn't want to be at and use libraries that are hostile towards transient people, and I was forced to restrict contact with friends on account of budgeting juice. I can totally see if someone had a regular job or went out to eat often or otherwise generally spent a good portion of the day outside of their van in society this could work, but for me after a month of van living getting my inverter meant suddenly I could actually do what I wanted to do. I'm chronically ill and often need to recover from activity by resting a good 36+ hours or so, and so charging my electronics from a battery has truly made life doable for me personally.

@Bitty - since you're not using any fuel you don't need a CO monitor. Ouch those things are expensive for the RV types. Just been looking at them for my setup. Oh course, waking up is priceless...