Minimalism for full-timers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ganchan

Reaction score
I figure that it might be helpful to compile a list of absolute essentials for vandwellers who may need to want to start their full-timing van lifestyle with the bare essentials (beyond simply throwing a sleeping bag into the van and surviving as best they can, that is) before possibly making additional imporvements. I've been thinking about this myself and I started jotting some things down....

Basic full-timing requirements:

Bed and/or chair
Blankets
Insulation (including window covers)
Propane heater
Some sort of cooling fan, even if just a little personal one
Ventilation, even if just from cracking the windows
Something to serve as a toilet, if only for emergencies
Water supply
Some storage bins
A few day’s worth of basic clothing for various climates
A stock of non-perishable foodstuffs and disposable utensils
Camp stove
At least one light source, such as a cheap LED lantern
First aid kit
Battery jumper & cables
Cell phone plan
Repair/safety tools, extra antifreeze, etc.

Desirable but not strictly essential: House power, interior paneling, air conditioner or electric cooler/fridge, mosquito netting for windows, CB radio, GPS system, shelving, desk/table, dedicated galley area, dedicated washing/personal hygiene area

Anybody want to add/subtract/modify?

Sounds pretty comprehensive.  :)  Regarding the clothing, I find that doing laundry [in laundromats] is my bête noire, so I have more than a few days of clothes.  Regarding bedding, I much prefer the sleeping bag to blankets, although I have one small, supplemental blanket I use when necessary and my pillows. 

Radio, cell phone and tools, in my case LOTS of tools!

Corky

corky52 said:
Radio, cell phone and tools, in my case LOTS of tools!

Corky

In my case, I should also have added "laptop," which will serve as my essential business tool, DVD player, e-book library, radio, and overall information resource. Can be easily charged through the 12V lighter plug while driving. But I wouldn't support it with a space-wasting stand-up desk; I'd just use my trusty portable lap desk.

One "perk" I'm thinking of adding later on, instead of wood paneling, is a set of solid-color drapes, hung from curtain rods on grommets, covering each wall. The positioning may reduce the apparent square footage, but it'll also provide a hiding place for all my storage bins, supplies, and other junk that would otherwise make the place look like a hobo hotel. So the van will look smaller, but it'll also look neater. I'll just make sure I avoid any shiny fabric so it won't look like I'm resting in my own coffin a la Dracula....  :D

I've found my little hand crank & solar radio/weather/LED light to be pretty handy. Even has standby mode for auto. weather alerts.

I'm definitely a minimalist, as people who have looked at my van can attest. And everything needs to be in its place at all times. But I had to install a handicap bar on my ceiling to hang up my clothes (JB Weld holds awesome!). I also thought a paper towel holder and baby wipes were important. Plus my favorite books are needed for my sanity. I also got an extension cord for my cigarette lighter socket so I could use and charge my DVD player and phone in bed. Bacon jerky isn't a necessity but dang, it's nice to have around.

Yes, "essential" can mean many things, including "essential for sanity." I confess that I might just bring a microwave along with me, which i will plug into campground shore power directly (via an extension cord through my window) on those days when I just feel like preparing a 3-minute meal.

I found this clothing rod at Bed, Bath & Beyond.  It extends and attaches to the 'handles' on either side of the extended cab. 

Minimalism?

I don't know to me that word always meant like the bare necessities to be something.

Right now in my van I have the following :

Buddy Heater
2 Storage Boxes for clothing
1 Storage box under the bed for cooking supplies and foods
2 curtains to block out unwanted visitors prying eyes.
Toolbox in the front of the van to make it look like a worker van while also storing my necessary tools in case of emergency.

That's it.

So I guess the answer depends on the person you're asking.

The above, plus Entertainment.  For me that means:

- Notebook computer +extra battery (with stored/ off-line content (movies, e-books, audio-books, music, articles, & cough-cough....  questionable materials ;) ) for times without internet access)

- Smart phone, with generous data plan

- Paperback books, magazines 

- Knowledge: the whereabouts of libraries, hiking, rivers / lakes / trees / ferns / scenic views, local farmer's market, gym, parks, & handy & free AC power sources (just finding about new ones & getting there can be entertaining)

~ By the Road Less Rambled ~

mine is linked in my sig. it covers everything i think youd need. Except maybe a cell phone....i hate talking on phone so i go with tracfone. of course minimalism is kinda relative...

Don't forget the fire extinguisher. I bought my granddaughter an HP laptop which, plugged in, started smoking and then a small flame. Luckily, nothing was closed enough to catch fire and she happened to be near it to unplug.

I really like my cot, it's comfy, doesn't cause water condensation, I can take it out easy or fold it up if I need the room.
Sleeping bag, long underwear, stocking cap, and I can stay warm.  Don't need no heater, can't afford the fuel anyway.
Bucket, it's my toilet, and I use it to wash the van.
I have several water jugs, 5 gallons to 7.5 gal, and they're great, but really one or more milk jugs work fine.
For food I like jerky, dried fruit, trail mix, peanut butter, honey, canned fruit, crackers, nuts.  I can ignore it for months then one day I need to eat something, there it is.
I really like my jetboil personal cooking system for coffee, heating up stew, making oatmeal, whatever.  I can have a cup of great coffee 5 minutes after I decide to make coffee.
I have lots of led flashlights and lanterns. 
I need to get a first aid kit.  You never know.  
I'd rather have a good battery, and my van in good nick, so I don't need jumper cables.  
My cell phone is my connection with my world.
I have lots of tools, good tools.  

Under the "desirable" category,
Cooler is essential, but of course I like to drink beer.  I've got a mini fridge that I can use as a cooler, and at some festivals I take it out and plug it in.  I got it because it seemed every time I wanted 
As a licensed ham radio operator, I'm ashamed to admit I have no two-way radio, other than my smart phone.
For GPS, my smart phone should work great.  I've never had a GSP, which is crazy with all the traveling I do.  
I carry a couple of folding tables, which I can set up outside, or inside the van.  I'm into flexibility.
No galley area, or hygiene area.  I can cook, but usually I have other people feeding me.

Missing from the "essentials" list:
1) Bicycle.  Because I always have my bike in my van, I can park a mile away from the event.  It's really worked out great for me.
2) Tire pump.  Mostly for the bike.  But you never know.
3) Working credit card.  If you get robbed, you can get  a new card.
4) Harmonica.  They're small, and playing improves your pulmonary function.  They're used in hospitals for pulmonary rehabilition, harmonica players have the best pulmonary function of any group, which is why harmonica players live so long.  Les Stroud, "Survivor Man", always has a harmonica with him.

I really wish we had more than 5 minutes to edit a post.  I don't like doing anything half assed, but I can't fix all my mistakes in 5 minutes.

I will second Harmonica Bruce's vote for the Jetboil. I used mine for backpacking, kayak camping but now carry it in my RV as a backup.

HarmonicaBruce said:
I really wish we had more than 5 minutes to edit a post.  I don't like doing anything half assed, but I can't fix all my mistakes in 5 minutes.

Use the preview function. You have all the time you want UNTIL you click the Post button. I'm a technical writer, so I often go over my posts several times before I post them. I've been known to spend half an hour on even a short post, if necessary to get it just right.

Another strategy for keeping my initial expenditures a bit lower will be to begin my vandwelling lifestyle during a nice stretch of temperate weather. Here in Central Texas, that generally means spring or autumn. I can then do some climate-chasing while purchasing heating/cooling items for the inevitable extremes.

Starting to think that a tent might count as an essential item for me too, in case the van gets stolen or totaled or something.

ganchan said:
Starting to think that a tent might count as an essential item for me too, in case the van gets stolen or totaled or something.

What are the odds of that happening? If it did, you might be surprised by the kindness of strangers. Trying to cover all possible what-ifs is a challenge!