Milk Crates for bed

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

katelyn

Reaction score
I have searched every second hand store in my area for months and even asked a few grocery stores if I could buy some of their milk crates that I saw in the cooler (of course they said no). At the Salvation Army I found 1...yes 1...and it was broken!!

There is a store online that sells them but for the price of shipping I mine as well buy a fancy pants custom made bed from an Amish guy. LOL!!!

Anyone have suggestions for a person who is not able to build their own bed frame?
I also tried out a cot once and it was horribly uncomfortable.

I was going to suggest a cot Katelyn, but try one with a camping pad on it. The camping pad can make all the difference in the world!!!

Another nice thing about a cot, is you can fold it up and still haul stuff if need be. It's ALOT more difficult with a bed.

Hi katelyn!
It's not very hard to make a bed frame, but if it's something you not comfortable with maybe you can find a local handyman that can make you one. A mattress on top of a piece of plywood, sitting on top of a bed frame is a lot better and much more comfortable than milk crates.

I was thinking a row of milk crates on their sides (access to storage underneath) with a stretch of plywood and the foam mattress cut to fit. Zip ties to hold them together.

As far as where to find them... they're available behind many big grocery stores, but not necessarily for the taking. I found some gathering dust next to an old record store. Just gotta keep on the look out.

Keep in mind, while milk crates seem to be in many ally ways, the law recognizes milk crates as belonging to the milk company. Milk company can choose to prosecute.
Many hobby stores have crates for sale. I also seen them in Target.

Hi Katelyn,

Welcome to the forum! I have an old chaise lounge that I'm thinking of using for a van bed. It's the type of lounge you'd have on a deck or around a pool. I'll put a camp pad on top of it for comfort, using the space below for storage. The chaise lounge can either lay flat for sleeping or with head elevated for reading, computer use or just relaxing. It may be easier to find a used chaise lounge at thrift stores or garage sales. Also, I would think you could find a new chaise lounge for even less than the cost of a cot.

Suanne ... enjoying the planning process

A good lounger sounds nifty.

If you want a regular single bed, a bed frame with plywood cut to fit works well. Conduit can be used to adjust the height of the legs. Assemble, throw on the mattress, and away ya go :)

Plenty of storage under and a nice space beside it.

Thanks for the ideas :) I've got awhile yet to configure the inside, the van needs small repairs and tires. Guess I'll keep looking and see what's out there, gives me an excuse to wander around the second hand stores :cool:

Anyone used the IKEA bed slats in a van? They are not the cheapest way to build but as much time as I will spend in bed that is the most important thing in my build. I have not actually seen them so I don't know if I can modify them to work. I am building close to full size bed across the back or the twin size would be perfect. A lot of truckers are using them now. Closest store to me is 1 1/2 hour drive I don't really want to make for bed slats. I can build slats but not with the curved boards they use (some are even adjustable).

I used them for a while along with 4" of dense foam, a 2" pad of memory/gel foam and 2" of super soft foam on top of a plywood platform. They didn't seem to make much difference and I ended up too close to my van's ceiling. Also, they were unnecessary weight and my van was running hot in the mountains, so I donated them to the Salvation Army along with some other heavy items I really didn't need.

I'm now using a self-inflating 1" camping pad under the soft top layer of foam and that makes the pile just OK. I've had chronic back problems for years and haven't run across an ideal mattress combo yet.

BTW:The ones I had were the Sultan Luray and I'm at 230lbs.

PS: They weigh 13 lbs. and are 39" wide. I cut mine down 3" as I didn't want a real wide bed cutting to much into the living space.

Hey slow2day, I was thinking the slats should way a lot less than plywood. If I can find a way to set the IKEA slats on to a couple 2x4's secured to the frame across the back of the van. I hope I can get to a store that sales them so I can see them in person.
Thanks for the info.
A SEEKER

The Ikea slats are $30.00 not that much for something you will use for 1/3rd of the rest of your life! Light and they flex for a more comfortable sleep. There must be someone around who can help you build the bed platform.

I started with ply set up on a dozen crates, just to test, mostly for height. (Camping not full timing) Once I built a platform I made it just high enough to slide the crates under for organized storage, since I unpack for daily driver duties.

Guess you could use a collection of sturdy Rubbermaid containers too.

jonthebru, that's what I wanted to hear. . . that they were a good way to go. Trip to Orlando near future I guess to eyeball and probably buy some.

Bindi&us,

What do you mean to use conduit to raise the bed? Am having a hard time pulling up the visual :) I think the bed frame is a super idea, but it is too short...

PJ

Other than milk crates, this is the cheapest, simplest, easiest bed I'v'e ever seen. If you have any friends who can drive a few screws you can build it. Home depot will cut all the wood for you.

If you go and buy the materials, a handyman can build the whole thing in a couple hours. Just show him the post and it will be super easy for him. All you have to do is find a handyman .

http://www.cheaprvliving.com/blog/convert-van-50/

Bob

I started out with a steel twin bed frame with slats -- not from Ikea. I used an 8" thick foam mattress on top of that. After a few months the slats were sagging. Some in the middle were bowing downward instead of upward. I'm an extra large guy. :-/ So I ditched the slats and put plywood on the steel frame. No problems.

There was a guy at RTR with a very straightforward bed. All his stuff was in cabinets along both walls. His bed was a fairly thick roll-up foam mattress that went directly on the floor, between the cabinets. Simple.

Latest posts