Microsoft is downloading Windows 10 to your machine 'just in case'

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BC Guy

Reaction score
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...ading-windows-10-to-your-machine-just-in-case

MICROSOFT HAS CONFIRMED that Windows 10 is being downloaded to computers whether or not users have opted in.
An INQUIRER reader pointed out to us that, despite not having 'reserved' a copy of Windows 10, he had found that the ~BT folder, which has been the home of images of the new operating system since before rollout began, had appeared on his system. He had no plans to upgrade and had not put in a reservation request.
He told us: "The symptoms are repeated failed 'Upgrade to Windows 10' in the WU update history and a huge 3.5GB to 6GB hidden folder labelled '$Windows.~BT'. I thought Microsoft [said] this 'upgrade' wa

and

We asked Microsoft to comment on whether it was downloading Windows 10 anyway as the company rushes to build on the 75 million machines with the new OS installed in its first month, putting it in fourth place behind Window 7, 8.1 and the erstwhile XP.
Microsoft told us: "For individuals who have chosen to receive automatic updates through Windows Update, we help upgradable devices get ready for Windows 10 by downloading the files they’ll need if they decide to upgrade.
"When the upgrade is ready, the customer will be prompted to install Windows 10 on the device.”
In other words, if you are patching via Patch Tuesday, as you should of course be, then you are going to get a big hefty folder on your hard drive ready so you can update to Windows 10 on demand.

and

noavatar92.png

dalek • 3 hours ago
If you haven't had this download pushed down your throat yet, get rid of the update that pre-loads the OS:
open command prompt as admin and run the following:
WUSA /UNINSTALL /KB:3035583
This will uninstall the update relating to win 10 install/notification/spyware crap.

[*]

Mr.Wolfclaw dalekan hour ago
Don't forget to block it in Windows Update or it will come back.

My start button shows that there are updates waiting to be installed.

Help!!

How do I make sure that they don't do this to me?

Instructions need to be in simple terms - I can follow 'do this>go here> hit this button' but that's about all!

I'm on Windows 7 and want to keep it until the last possible moment.

This may well end up being a true news story, but I, personally, would not run any uninstall commands based on a single, unconfirmed report.  Especially from a source I'm not familiar with.

If this is true, then PC Magazine and all kinds of other credible sources will also be reporting it shortly.  Time enough then to deal with it, and you can be sure that any uninstall commands THEY recommend are safe and tested.

I do thank BC Guy for promptly reporting it.

Regards
John

Yea BUT!!

The next time I shut my laptop off, the installs will start on their own!

I need to stop that until I'm sure what Microsoft thinks they're doing!

I've had Windows 10 files downloaded to my computer without my knowledge.

After a scan, the results said several files could not be scanned. I googled the names of the files and yup, they are Windows 10 files.

Almost There said:
The next time I shut my laptop off, the installs will start on their own!

Click on your start button
click on all programs or search for windows update
Click on change settings (left side of pop up window}
First option will be to change automatic updates
   Choose either the second or third option
click ok at the bottom of the window

Thanks Cyndi!

It sounds so simple (and really was!) when you type it out but if there's two areas that I have 'blind spots', computer stuff is one of them!

I use Windows 10. I prefer it to windows 8 and 8.1. I much prefer Ubuntu but I have to use Windows for work.

Good thing my windows machine is unplugged while I use my Ubuntu machine for daily activities.
I do wonder since I am using the 8.1 evaluation instead of a full licence on my windows desktop if it will be trying to download Windows 10 install files as well when I boot it up.
I'm not opposed to Windows 10 but win 8.1 is working just fine at the moment with simply reinstalling twice a year to maintain performance.

Thanks. I also can (sometimes) follow 'do this>go here> hit this button' but that's about all!

I'm on Windows 7 and want to keep it until the last possible moment.

I DID find this WUSA /UNINSTALL /KB:3035583 in my updates, and uninstalled it. I changed my settings to "check for updates but let me choose whether to install them.

I've been having problems with my pc, and finally took it in for repair. I do not want 10.

Ella1 said:
I just now tried to view an email, but it was over-ridden by a message from microsoft

Weird.  Are you using Outlook?

BC Guy said:
You will not have that problem if you change to Thunderbird.
https://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

I've used Thunderbird for years now...love it!

The only thing I couldn't do with it was read the silly Outlook appointment notices the admin in the office kept sending out - it was all in gobbledygook. I could decipher enough between the crap to figure out who and when and the conference call passcode but that was it!

All of my gmail and both corporate mail accounts were forwarded to me all on the same screen in Thunderbird!

Bear in mind that Windows 10 won't install without you first agreeing to the License Agreement, so it isn't going to install without your permission. Worst case it will download some files you don't want. At some point someone will post a simple way to erase those hidden files and you'll be back to normal.
Bob

akrvbob said:
Bear in mind that Windows 10 won't install without you first agreeing to the  License Agreement, so it isn't going to install without your permission.  Worst case it will download some files you don't want. At some point someone will post a simple way to erase those hidden files and you'll be back to normal.
Bob

5 to 6 gig of files from what I have read.  If you have limited data, this could blow your limit for a number of months in a row.  I would suggest that people turn off updates if they have limited data until it is clear what must be deleted.
Cyndi's post explains how. Post #6

BC Guy said:
5 to 6 gig of files from what I have read.  If you have limited data, this could blow your limit for a number of months in a row.  I would suggest that people turn off updates if they have limited data until it is clear what must be deleted.
Cyndi's post explains how.  Post #6

If you are relying principally on your cell account for data, you should definitely set your system to ask before allowing updates.  This also applies to stuff like new anti-virus definitions.

Updates - of ANY kind - should only be allowed when you are pulling data off of free wifi somewhere.

Regards
John

akrvbob said:
Bear in mind that Windows 10 won't install without you first agreeing to the  License Agreement, so it isn't going to install without your permission.  Worst case it will download some files you don't want. At some point someone will post a simple way to erase those hidden files and you'll be back to normal.
Bob

Everyone here needs to acquire those buttons from The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy - the ones that say DON'T PANIC.

Regards
John