Methylene chloride

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LERCA

Reaction score
Is a chemical used in among other things paint strippers. I hadn’t used it for several years and when I went to buy it I was told it is now illegal. There is one shop that was grandfathered in but I can strip the paint myself and save $400. 
Does anyone know if this is across the country or just California? I can drive to AZ or NV to buy it if so.
I’m not talking about sanding and staining but actually stripping the paint (yeah it eats a hole through everything you have to be careful)
Any info appreciated.

No I called several furniture refinishing places and this is the only product that works. One shop is allowed to use it but he charges a fortune.
If you want to be paranoid thousands upon thousands of products are carcinogenic that we use daily. 90+% of the jewelry imported from China has heavy metals and arsenic. Pet food and baby food is dangerous. 
There are signs in every store/workshop in California saying this facility has cancer causing products. If you want to worry start with your every day stuff. You’ll be surprised.
PS I already had cancer.

I guess I should have said "may cause cancer", as its not yet proven.

You can get it at Aircraft Spruce in Corona, CA

If you can use something less toxic that is always better, but I know some finishes are very difficult to remove without it.

For those who don't know about it here is a link to CDC on MC. https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/topics/methylenechloride/default.html

Thanks I will look. I tried to post a photo I took of a sign on the Wells Fargo Bank yesterday but it was too big.
Prop 65 Notice: It’s outside every building in Southern California regardless of usage.

“Warning: Entering this building can expose you to chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer and birth defects and other reproductive harm. Including formaldehyde from carpets and buildings and lead in brass, and vinyl cords and coverings as these substances are commonly found in commercial and residential settings. For more about these substances and Prop 65 generally please visit www.P65warnings.ca.gov

I suggest if you’re fearful you don’t look into reports on all the items we import from certain countries. My mother bought a dog bed at Costco the dog refused to go near and after carrying it I had blisters and burns on my hands, arms and lips (it was big and I’m small and carried it against me)

If it makes anyone less anxious my neighbors who have died ranged from 88-91 and my 86 year old mother lost a couple of friends in their mid-80’s and the rest of her friends and elderly neighbors (aged 89-92) are still with us. Ditto for my 89 year old father. Only one died of cancer. Stroke and heart disease were the biggest killers. Only one died of cancer.

I try and not use toxic chemicals but on the rare occasion I do I protect myself.

What are you trying to accomplish? There might be alternaatives to using that stripper. Lots of people here have refinished surfaces including myself.

I have several large pieces of furniture with old paint that I can’t get off. I took it to a place that sands and restains and he wouldn’t touch it. Tried another place and they wouldn’t touch it then the third guy explained why finally. It’s all wood vintage beautiful but the old paint is yellowed and cracked and discolored and it has leaves painted etc
Three years ago at Ace I bought the stripper now it’s illegal. Pretty much everything is now illegal in California.

Now that we have a few more details of what you're trying to do...

Media blasting would be too abrasive. Are you trying to keep the fine detailed painted leaves that you mentioned and just remove the paint that is on top of the details? Soy based stripppers work very well on paint, not as well on lead based paint but they do work. The strippers need to be left on for a long period of time and kept wet (with stripper).

Are your pieces of furniture veneered or solid wood?  How detailed are these pieces (fine carvings, moldings, intricate bits or mostly flat)? This will also make a difference in the approach I would take. With a photo or two I may be able to give more specific advice. Careful restoration, vs a "dip and strip" requires a different level of expertise. The shops you looked into sound like they may not have the expertise required.