Memorial Day

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gunny

Reaction score
With all of the seemingly endless hate and discontent that pervades our world I will make one small comment.

I am on moderation so when and if this gets posted please note it is done in friendship. 

I have an explosive temper, I do my best to control it, sometimes I fail. In my life I have not failed too often, but my temper has been the bane of me.

With all that being said, I would like to remind the fine members of this forum that Memorial Day is set aside to remember our Servicemen and Servicewomen who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms.

There is no such thing as "Happy Memorial Day". It's not BBQ Day or just a day off, it is a somber time to reflect on our brave souls we have lost.

It's a well done 5 minute video for anyone interested.

Rob

thank you Gunny and to all who served. especial to those that did not come home. highdesertranger

Awesome and somber at the same time Gunny. Thanks to those that served.

I hate that Memorial Day has become a BBQ holiday and a day that everyone visits the family graves. This takes so much away from what it's meant to be. I'd rather have the day abolished than to see it change for the worse. Perhaps if it didn't correspond to a weekend it might be better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Memorial Day does NOT honor our veterans...  it honors our war dead.  As a veteran, I ask that you remember that and pay our war dead their due.  You can thank a veteran on November 11th, Veteran's Day.  All of us who are living veterans would be grateful for that.  But on Memorial Day, we veterans will be thinking of those brave souls who selflessly paid the ultimate sacrifice for all or us on the field of battle.

We would ask that you do the same.

The Cost of Freedom

Roger

Thanks for that Roger

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey Gunny, SEMPOR FI , THAT WAS WELL WRITTEN ALSO. I how all is well for you. Remember, Monday is NOTJUST ANOTHER DAY.

I visit this grave, often.  I miss my dad.

"Four score and seven years ago our fathers brought forth on this continent, a new nation, conceived in Liberty, and dedicated to the proposition that all men are created equal.

"Now we are engaged in a great civil war, testing whether that nation, or any nation so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great battle-field of that war. We have come to dedicate a portion of that field, as a final resting place for those who here gave their lives that that nation might live. It is altogether fitting and proper that we should do this.

"But, in a larger sense, we can not dedicate -- we can not consecrate -- we can not hallow -- this ground. The brave men, living and dead, who struggled here, have consecrated it, far above our poor power to add or detract. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what they did here. It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which they who fought here have thus far so nobly advanced. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these honored dead we take increased devotion to that cause for which they gave the last full measure of devotion -- that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain -- that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom -- and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."

Abraham Lincoln
November 19, 1863

Gunny said:
With all that being said, I would like to remind the fine members of this forum that Memorial Day is set aside to remember our Servicemen and Servicewomen who paid the ultimate sacrifice for our freedoms.

There is no such thing as "Happy Memorial Day". It's not BBQ Day or just a day off, it is a somber time to reflect on our brave souls we have lost.

This was the theme in Church this morning, giving thanks and remembering the service men and women that gave all.
After which the Church choir sang America the Beautiful. It was a very nice service.

Every Memorial Day, I thank God that my three sons who have served in the Armed Forces (including my Marine who served on the ground in Fallujah) are alive and uninjured. And I pray for the mothers who weren't so lucky. My youngest is no longer on active duty, but he's still in the Reserves, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Ted

HAPPY MEMORIAL DAY TO THOSE WHO WERE ABLE TO SERVE OUR COUNTRY AND THOSE WHO WERE NOT

Latest posts