MDF panelling for van wall not a good idea?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And PS> isn't this MDF type panelling used in all of the fancy manufactered RV's?

Lance

Even humidity will mess with that stuff. Fasteners will wiggle and enlarge the holes too. If you applied it with adhesive over a sound substrate of plywood and sealed edges, I think it would be fine for decorative purposes....

Medium-density fibreboard (MDF) is an engineered wood product made by breaking down hardwood or softwood residuals into wood fibres, often in a defibrator, combining it with wax and a resin binder, and forming panels by applying high temperature and pressure. MDF is generally denser than plywood.

However, on Lowes website it says it's plastic....

One of those two descriptions is obviously wrong. IF it's plastic, it should be fine, IF it's MDF then it's a no go.

What you're looking for is FRP, which is either Fiber Reinforced Plastic or Fabric Reinforced Plastic.

MDF is basically particle board with a veneer. the veneer can be real wood or a sheet of fake wood like shelf paper. FRP is fiber reinforced plastic. myself like to use real 1/8 inch plywood paneling. a big problem with MDF is if try to flex it to fit the contour of a van wall or something similar it will break. highdesertranger

I worked full time in a cabinet shop for about 12 years and have a ton of experience with all sorts of sheet goods (Plywood, MDF, particle board, laminates, melamine, etc) MDF has it's place but I wouldn't recommend it for a van interior. It's not flexible, it's not good with moisture (although they do make one that's better for moisture but you won't find it at any big box store) and above all it's rather heavy and always better to try and keep weight down as a rule in my book. A better option would be a plywood. 3/8" Plywood is fairly easy to work with, lightweight and easy to contour. An added bonus is you can stain and/or put a poly finish on it. I'm going to be buying a cargo trailer shortly and converting it to a camper. I'm planning on a dual axle 7x12 or 7x14. Still playing around with the layout to decide which one I'll go with.

I used double sided 1/4 inch melamine in my van. Looks great, cleans easily, and conforms well to the contours of the walls.

It has held up well for more than a year now.

UPDATE: Now at 4 years on the melamine and not so much as a scratch. Looks brand new still.

I'm on my sixth year using FRP - fiber reinforced polymer - for my walls. It's the white pebble textured stuff you see on public restroom walls. I flipped it around so the smooth back side is out. Then I painted it. It's thin, flexible and tough.

As far as I'm concerned, MDF is crap and even more so in a mobile setting. A few years ago, I went to a large RV dealership to check out some campers and, after chatting with a sales person for a bit, she agreed that it's basically garbage and heavy too. ..Willy.