MC4 or Anderson to Goal Zero?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PattySprinter

Reaction score
[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Looking at connecting two 100W Renogy panels to a Goal Zero 1000 (for now) ...[/font]
[font=Calibri, sans-serif]I will need Renogy MC4 branch connectors to make sure that I am chaining those panels in parallel - then connect the branch connecters to the MC4 to Anderson power pole adapter ... [font=Calibri, sans-serif][size=small](I may add a charge [/font][font=Calibri, sans-serif]controller, AGM battery, inverter, fuses etc later when I get the van later this year)[/font][/font][/size]
[font=Calibri, sans-serif]Here is where I am lost - I see two different ones - MC4 to Anderson and MC4 to 8mm - which one is better to the Goal Zero?  I am looking at the Anderson pic below and I don't see how that would go into the Anderson outlet on the battery case.[/font]
[font=Calibri, sans-serif](pics [/font][font=Calibri, sans-serif]below)[/font]

Attachments

• anderson.jpg
    anderson.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 19
These are sold by Yeti, so why would you doubt the APP end isn't compatible with their products'?

This is actually a great way to go, and since I have the proper crimpers to make my own, plan to go this way with my own (better and cheaper) DIY version of the Yeti box. Thanks for pointing it out!

John61CT said:
These are sold by Yeti, so why would you doubt the APP end isn't compatible with their products'?

This is actually a great way to go, and since I have the proper crimpers to make my own, plan to go this way with my own (better and cheaper) DIY version of the Yeti box. Thanks for pointing it out!

I am asking because there are two options - and I read somewhere that one might be 'better' than the other - and the Anderson kinda looks like it won't fit - maybe it does - I just have never seen one before - pic below of the 8mm:

Attachments

• aagz.jpg
    aagz.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 14
Anderson for sure if you ever want it to carry higher charging amps.

More secure connections, self-wiping against corrosion, etc.

Those dinky "wall wart" style plugs are only good for up to say 10A, probably higher resistance at even lower currents, very easy to knock out by mistake, socket gets worn over time so connection no longer secure. . .

Really, standardizing all DC connections on APP is the way to go IMO.

John61CT said:
Anderson for sure if you ever want it to carry higher charging amps.

More secure connections, self-wiping against corrosion, etc.

Those dinky "wall wart" style plugs are only good for up to say 10A, probably higher resistance at even lower currents, very easy to knock out by mistake, socket gets worn over time so connection no longer secure. . .

Really, standardizing all DC connections on APP is the way to go IMO.

John, I am learning so much from you - you are a blessing. 
I now have new terms: Wall Wart & APP :eek:) Thank you!
Below is the diagram a rep at GZ emailed to me:

Attachments

• agzimage001.jpg
    agzimage001.jpg
    14.9 KB · Views: 15
That is the same pic from the same site that she posted before.

The Yeti has an 8 mm socket connection used by their grossly underpowered (16 hours!) shore power wall wart.

sorry...apparently I woke up in middle of the night to post nonsense. hopefully back to sleep soon...

And that 30A APP is compatible with the 45 version if you go up to 10GA wire, even 8GA, to minimize voltage drop on long runs.

The problem is we are talking about yeti. We are staying in bed, also.

John61CT said:
And that 30A APP is compatible with the 45 version if you go up to 10GA wire, even 8GA, to minimize voltage drop on long runs.

What is "45 version"?

My GZ1000 tech. sheet states: 
                                            Power Pole Charging Port: 16-30V, up to 20A, 240W max.

The cable on the back of the solar panel is about 12" long - it goes into the Y connector - which goes into the APP (12") ... that is only about 14" and too short to of a line to mount panels on roof.
Are there pre-made extensions? ... feel like I may be learning how to wire before this is all said and done.

APP come in different sizes. The 30A APP can connect to a 45A APP (which would allow for heavier gauge cable, thus longer runs). I think this is what John was referring to.

Your limiting factor, I think, will be the solar charge controller in the Yeti 1000, which sound like it supports up to 20A, 240W max.