May trade up for a larger van in the future

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan24

Reaction score
About to hit the three week mark on the road. Loving it so far. I am so much more productive/energetic than before. I am also eating better and exercising more.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>One gripe. The Previa, as much as I love her, is awfully cramped. Getting into the back is awkward. I spend a lot of time fidgeting around my bike and guitar. Even though I have makeshift curtains, privacy is not the best. I have gotten creative with the space, and put in some more stuff than I imagined. Still, things can feel&nbsp;claustrophobic&nbsp;at times.</div><div><br></div><div>Any future dwellers out there considering whether to go mini or full size, my advice would be to really consider a full size van. The gas savings are nice, but in my opinion having space would be worth it.&nbsp;</div>

Ryan, Before I bought a truck camper I had a Chevy G20 Camper Van made by a company in Riverside California, I think the name was Custom Camp Vans? &nbsp;Don't think they are in business now? &nbsp;I think the best thing was that I could stand up in it! &nbsp;I have always said it's nice to stand up-right in your vehicle during inclement weather. &nbsp;There might be a long stretch (many hours) where you cannot go outside due to heavy rains and the extra space in a full size van (over your Previa) will be nice. &nbsp;I had a toyota tacoma with an ARE top too, it was nice for a weekend trip but again there was only enough room to sit straight up and not stand up. Whatever you get I recommend it is tall enough inside to allow you to stand up! &nbsp;Just my 2 cents!

I agree. My next van will definitely have some standing room. I wasn't able to utilize my space as efficiently as some here, but it did well for me while I stayed in it.&nbsp;<div>Good luck on your travels!</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

<p style="margin: 0px;">I have a standard Chevy Express 3/4 ton.&nbsp; It's adequate.&nbsp; Standing room would be nice but I am doing fine without it.&nbsp; I don't feel cramped at all.&nbsp; An extended length would be nice, but the standard size is plenty roomy enough.&nbsp; I wouldn't want to go any smaller though.&nbsp; (I'm a heavy person)</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">The biggest thing is to plan, plan, plan and make the most efficient use of space.&nbsp; I'm doing some reworking to take advantage of space here and there but by and large am happy with the setup.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">The only concern I would have with a high top would be heating and cooling it.&nbsp; It normally gets VERY cold in this area.&nbsp; Adding a lot more space to heat could&nbsp;be more challenging&nbsp;in a cold climate.</p>