maximum solar power possible on chevy express cargo van

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Joseph_Grey said:
I have 520 watts on the roof of my 2008 Chevy Express Cargo.  I think I could fit another 260watt panel up there.

--jg

Is that a 2500 or 3500 van?

I am wondering the same thing. If I just install one vent on the roof and just solar panels, how many can I get? Also I have the access package. If you have never heard of it, it is where the side panels can open to allow access to the inside from the outside. I thought it might be a good idea to install some sort of flexible panel on the access panels to get more solar wattage on the van. My ultimate question that I have been asking myself is if it is possible to have 1000 watts total of solar on this particular van with the right solar panels / cells.

Keightley

i have 280W @24V on the roof with an mppt charge controller with no issues. install a vent under the panel. i could probably add another but find i don't need more.

Nice... I was wondering if a vent could be installed under a solar panel. Which vent did you buy? I am thinking you don't need to worry about rain or snow on your vent. I once found a youtube video of a couple that installed their solar panels over the vent. I can't seem to find that video anymore. But it gave me the idea. Good to know other have done it.

Keightley

Hmmm, I had thought that if I needed or wanted more solar panels, and space was a limitation, would explore some stacking design where another panel or two could be on drawer like sliders and be pulled out once parked. Or hinged like on a foldout tool box.
Stack weld some c channel, place the sliders inside, affix panels to sliders, design some locking method, route the wiring and voila! More solar*3 baby!
Anyone seen or thought the same?

Yes. I'd design a large rigid standing-height awning for shade, robust enough to bear the weight of semi-flex panels.

I like the "toolbox foldout" idea for gaining that bit of extra height needed for a shorter van, sliders OK for a high-top or Euro style.

Both based on a strong roof-rack, framed panels filling the roof space, supplemental flex ones super-easy to deploy.

Flip-up unfolding "split halves" could be incorporated to give the flex extra protection while driving.

I would be wary about mounting anything on the sides if you plan on doing any off road driving. desert pin stripping does more damage then just scratching paint. highdesertranger

No major off-roading for me. I like well groom dirt roads.

even on well maintained dirt roads sometimes they narrow down and there is no helping it. my experience is if you drive these roads you will get pin stripping. just something to think about. highdesertranger

keightley said:
Nice... I was wondering if a vent could be installed under a solar panel.  Which vent did you buy?  I am thinking you don't need to worry about rain or snow on your vent.  I once found a youtube video of a couple that installed their solar panels over the vent.  I can't seem to find that video anymore.  But it gave me the idea.  Good to know other have done it.

Keightley

I got the vent at junk yard in Phoenix when I went to buy my solar panel. Arizona RV Salvage? Sounds familar. I recall that it sells all kinds of used RV stuff, appliances, body parts, etc.

Since mine is under the panel, I don't care what is looks like as long as is it functional, doesn't leak, doesn't let the bugs.

Minivanmotoman said:
Hmmm, I had thought that if I needed or wanted more solar panels, and space was a limitation, would explore some stacking design where another panel or two could be on drawer like sliders and be pulled out once parked. Or hinged like on a foldout tool box.
Stack weld some c channel, place the sliders inside, affix panels to sliders, design some locking method, route the wiring and voila! More solar*3 baby!
Anyone seen or thought the same?

I think going down any corrugated gravel roads would beat the hell out of the panels

I have two of my three vents under my panels, with the panels down they can only be opened up about an inch, when panels are tilted there is no problem. I can move the panels mount holes up 2 inches so the vents can open 3 inches , but I have not needed to do so. The one vent that is not covered is a fantastic fan so it pulls the air in/out just fine.