Mattress Pads or ???

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

byeceeya

Reaction score
I'm converting my conversion van because the fold-down sofa bed just isn't big enough. What are most of you using, for instance, when you build your bed along one wall of the van?&nbsp; Standard single mattress?&nbsp; Custom cut foam cushion?&nbsp; I've priced custom cut foam from several internet sources and it's still pretty pricey.&nbsp; Got to be an easy, economical way of doing this.&nbsp; I'm 5'9", 155 lbs, can't have my head and feet hanging off the bed, ya know.<br>Jesse<br>

&nbsp;Check Walmart or one of the online discount places for foam mattresses. You can cut the matteress down yourself to make a custom fit and it's a lot cheaper than ordering a custom size. <br>

I started out with an air mattress, but after waking up with my butt on the wood bed frame a few too many times, I went with a regular twin sized mattress. I'm 6' and 175 lbs, and it works well for me.

travelfriend said:
I used memory foam and got it a fantastic price on ebay. There were several people on ebay that had what they called "seconds" from the factories. You could get whatever size or thickness you wanted. You could get queen or king size for about the same price as twin. I got a queen size and cut mine down. I could not tell there was anything at all that would have made it "seconds". I even had enough left that I put the remainder on top of my bed at home. I love it! It is especially great for winter camping without any heat, as it holds your body heat. Apparently some of these sellers ship directly from the factory. A few days after mine arrived I got a telephone call from the factory asking if it had arrived and if I was satisfied. Can you say SHOCKED?&nbsp; I think I paid around $40.00 including shipping.<br>
<br><br>That's a good tip, <br>I'll be checking it out, thanks!<br>

futon mattress work perfect for across the back... Buy a frame and weld it in place...<br>

<p>My advise is to get the Memory Foam mattress.&nbsp; I smile every time I lay down on mine.&nbsp; It is so comfortable and doesn't wear out.&nbsp; Plus like travelfriend said it holds your body heat too.&nbsp; </p>

My bunk is 30" x 72" longways behind the drivers seat on milk &nbsp;rates and drawers. I've &nbsp;been using 3" foam from Joann's but it's in 3 pieces. Have been thinking of adding a 1" layer of memory foam (from Walmart) or doing what y'all have done and get some online.&nbsp;<div><br></div><div>My big reluctance has been that I've heard it hardens in the cold. Not sure how. Omfy that will be at -10 degrees. I move a lot when I sleep, will I be needing to defrost new impressions all the time?&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>On that note, is it hot to sleep on in warm weather?</div><div><br></div><div>I'm seriously thinking of going back to sheepskin.</div><div><br></div><div><br></div>

<p style="margin: 0px;">DW likes memory foam, I prefer an air mattress. We never agree on anything.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Can't answer about freezing, Katie. We've never let it get that cold inside the van. </p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p><p style="margin: 0px;">Never had a problem in hot weather: always laid an open sleeping bag on top of it.</p><p style="margin: 0px;">&nbsp;</p>