Matress Condensation? I'm gonna try this...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NWShortyFord

Reaction score
Ok, so you may have seen my cardboard insulation thread at one time...some of you thought maybe free insulation wasn't a great idea. Hopefully my new idea is better received. This time I am going to try out a new product(to me at least). My friend lives on a super plush, 52 foot, double-masted sailboat with amazing views of the Olympic mts...very nice. Well his bed gets just as wet as ours given the nature of the marine environment. He recently re-fitted his bedroom with this product and gave me the remnants for my van(knows I live in one). I am going to install this stuff under my bed and see how it works...it is getting pretty warm here but I hope it gets cold and wet enough to test it out one time this year. Either way I am installing it this week and will let y'all know how it worked.

http://www.fisheriessupply.com/hypervent-hypervent-mattress-pads-39-50

My sofa/bed is a metal framed futon, that I switched the pads to foam.

Originally it had bars across the bottom & back, so there would be air flow. I didn't like the bars because I could feel them underneath my mattress, so I removed them and replaced them with a hammock style net that I made out of water proof rope. Much more comfortable and allows the foam to breath. I've never really experienced any problem with moisture or the bed being cold with this set up.

Many years ago I replaced the webbing on my lawn chairs with rope too. The rope is cheap, light weight, and very durable even though I bought it from a dollar store.

That HyperVent looks interesting. Sort of an open cell plastic or synthetic?

On Amazon I have found Milspec nylon webbing in long rolls for a good price. Upgrading some of my pack gear with it. I may try using it as a support under the foam mattress in the van. Maybe add HyperVent under the foam, as it's cheap enough to try it out.

I am also planning to try the hypervent, unless I can find something cheaper

You know, beds used to basically be huge pillows that laid on a network of rope netting or jute upholstery webbing. You could always try something like that. To use on my full size bed, it would cost me $249.60. I sometimes have a problem with the memory foam topper "sweating" on top of the vinyl air mattress (not the air mattress). The only thing that has helped (actually stopped it) is the heated mattress pad. It cost a lot less than $249.60. I can replace it several times over for that amount of money.

I haven't used it yet, but I am willing to do my own research and neither is my yacht living friend. I can tell you, if it works here in the NW, it should work anywhere.

Not sure Cry'n Bryan. Might work. Let us know. Luckily I got enough of mine to try it for free. Hopefully I can help by trying it out for the experience.

NWShortyFord said:
Not sure Cry'n Bryan. Might work. Let us know. Luckily I got enough of mine to try it for free. Hopefully I can help by trying it out for the experience.

I should have quoted Matt71 in my post. If I have a problem with moisture under my mattress, I will try the Dial pad and post back results. Hopefully I remember this thread as it will be about 2 months before I get around to buying/building my vehicle. Hope your buddies idea works out for you, as mold can be a health issue.

Matt71 said:
I am also planning to try the hypervent, unless I can find something cheaper

My wife and I put four foam backpacking pads on top of plywood.  100% wool blanket on top of those. And 6 inches of memory foam pads on top of that. In a van said:
I should have quoted Matt71 in my post. If I have a problem with moisture under my mattress, I will try the Dial pad and post back results. Hopefully I remember this thread as it will be about 2 months before I get around to buying/building my vehicle. Hope your buddies idea works out for you, as mold can be a health issue.

Be careful with those swamp cooler pads. Some are organic and some are synthetic. They are expected to be tossed at the end of the cooling season (3-4 months) and the organics are expected to absorb moisture well in order to work properly. That absorption is something I would think you would want to avoid. Also some are sturdier than others. They should be getting swamp cooler back out pretty soon. You may want to actually take a look at them. I think the green coloured ones they sell at Home Depot would be a bit "stiffer" than the mat you linked to on Amazon. The Amazon pad looks more like the soft flexible pads (looks like a grass mat). HD also has a light bluish-greenish "softer" pad that is a synthetic (33" x 160" or 13 ft long) for $32.40 ($2.43/lin ft ). That may be an idea for my use. Body weight may crush the stuff down to where it is useless.

That memory foam has a nasty problem with moisture.

Cry said:
Would this stuff work? It looks similar, but I have no experience with using it or the moisture issues with beds yet. It just looks similar. It is 24 feet long so if you cut that in half for 12 feet length and then folded that in half to 6 feet length, you would end up with 6' x 6' coverage. That is if my math is right.

http://www.amazon.com/DialManufactu...nkCode=w13&linkID=&ref_=assoc_res_sw_result_1

Ad says,
DialManufacturing 36'' x 24'' Spin Roll Cooler Pad

So, three FEET by two FEET. 

LeeRevell said:
Ad says,
DialManufacturing 36'' x 24'' Spin Roll Cooler Pad

So, three FEET by two FEET. 

No idea how I saw that " as a ', that would have really stunk to have been expecting 24' and then get 24 inches...lol. Thnx for catching that LeeRevell

Compassrose, thnx for the info, reading what you wrote makes sense.

Almost looks like Astro turf? Black AstroTurf.

Very different than astro-turf. I am going to try to borrow a camera this weekend and take some pics. Hopefully this will happen soon...however, it has become very nice and warn here and I am slightly afraid I will have to wait till next year.

Ok, so I have about 14 Sq. Ft. now underneath my bed, almost enough for the whole thing. I fold the leg portion out of my bed at night so it actually covers the part that stays wet, which is the part that doesn't fold out. I am lucky at $10/sq ft. I got $140 for free, my friend gets it almost half off since he is a boat builder but still a nice score for me. I'll have to thank him again and again if it works, heck at that price I'd better thank him again even if it doesn't. This week it is supposed to be a little bit rainy and kinda cold...I'm hoping to get a good test this week...otherwise I might be better off waiting till next year given how warm and dry it has been this year.

Results to come.

So far so good, I thought the rain this week would be colder...unfortunately I don't know if I will have conclusive results until next November. Maybe we'll get lucky and it will get really wet and cold for a week...I can't believe I just said that, I even think I meant it.

Latest posts