Malibu, CA stealth situation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Svenn

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what's going on in the Malibu area along the PCH (Pacific Coast Highway, 1) in terms of overnight parking restrictions?  I was there a few weeks ago and was shocked that in places, it was packed along the ocean side with what appeared to be vandwellers.  It looked like a vandwellers paradise.  

I've researched it a bit and while there are restrictions in the residential neighborhoods of Malibu near houses, on the empty stretches between them there doesn't seem to be.  On google maps I don't see any "No Parking" signs, just trash cans and vast stretches of empty oceanside parking.  It appears to be under the jurisdiction of Caltrans, as opposed to the City of Malibu, which may explain it.  

Perhaps the reason it's not entirely packed with vandwellers is because there aren't any bathrooms or showers?

A while back i was passing through south and parked there waiting for traffic on the 405 to diminish. I was chilling in the back with curtain divider closed, and some homeless guy was peering inside my front area then started trying to open my doors.

I scared the living piss out of him.

Kind of fun busting out the psycho eyes on occassion, but his psycho eyes were scarier than mine. I was however bigger, and not stinking of booze.

I don't know the overnight boondocking situation there, regarding the law, and enforcement. I consider LA and its immediate surroundings to just be a road I drive through.

Haha, not the best endorsement of the place ;) I realize that would be a problem there considering it's so close to a metro area. Any recommendations for the PCH in general you wouldn't mind sharing on here?

there are a few campgrounds down OC way. it ain't like the old days though where you could just pull over and spend the night for free. highdesertranger

Los Angeles County is one of the more lenient counties along Highway 1 for vandwelling, especially given that LA is a vandwelling hotspot. The city/county has unsuccessfully tried to evict the dwellers many times but the sheer number of them makes it impossible. If you look closer on Google Maps, you will see "No Parking Midnight to 5 AM" signs all along the highway and in those big parking lots. From what I saw, the LAPD tolerates local homeless along certain portions of the highway, but adventurers disregarding such signs will likely get a ticket. Vandwellers are absolutely not tolerated in the ultra-rich developed parts of Malibu, which is 27 miles long in total.

USExplorer said:
If you look closer on Google Maps, you will see "No Parking Midnight to 5 AM" signs all along the highway and in those big parking lots.

The couple of times I've driven along PCH since becoming a vandweller, I tried and failed to spot no-parking or no-parking-during-certain-hour signs in the stretch near Leo Carillo. I didn't know whether that meant it would be okay to be there overnight, or whether signs were unnecessary because everyone but me knew what the deal was, or whether my ability to scan the shoulder and watch the road at the same time is just lacking.

Out there near the Ventura County line you just may be far enough away from the city to get away with it. Low key would be key, don't camp within sight of any residences. Thousands of tourists sleep illegally in RVs and vans along Highway 1 every year, and only a few get ticketed.

USExplorer said:
...and only a few get ticketed.

Funny, I hadn't worried about being ticketed. My bigger concern would be trying to find some other place for the night without driving all over. The Walmart in Oxnard, I guess.

^The whole LA/Greater LA stealth situation is kinda unclear to me... some people say the new law and the low density make it really easy, others say it's difficult. It's of course very dependent on the type of vehicle they have which you don't always know from every review out there. I guess I'll just have to go there and report back!

@MrNoodly: When I was in Ventura a vandweller told me that police tolerate overnight RV parking in the industrial section of Ventura east of Ventura Beach and south of the 101.

Stay clear of residential and no sign no fine, Ive been non stealth truck camping all over Cali, norcal, socal, urban and rural for the last 3 years and this motto has worked just fine for me. Currently camping in the dogpatch neighborhood of San Fran.

Fivealive said:
Stay clear of residential...

One of the times I stealth camped in Huntington Beach, it was in a neighborhood of apartments where everyone parked on the street. There was a parking spot next to a cherry picker truck. My white cargo van looked like it belonged there. But I probably could've parked in any vacant spot in that part of town, just three blocks from the beach.

well I just got to tell this story, this is how much times have changed. sometime in the mid 70's me and a couple buddies were drinking beer one night and decided to go surfing the next morning. so we drove down to the Huntington Beach pier pulled over on PCH and continued drinking. the next morning I woke up in the driver seat with the radio playing. looked over at my buddy in the passenger seat, his door was wide open and his window rolled down and he was kinda laying in the passenger seat with his legs kicked up on the door hanging over the rolled down window my other buddy was laying on the ground next to the car. there where beer cans everywhere outside the car. I woke them up we cleaned up our mess and went surfing. there is no way in hell you could get away with that today. highdesertranger

highdesertranger said:
...sometime in the mid 70's me and a couple buddies were drinking beer one night and decided to go surfing the next morning.  so we drove down to the Huntington Beach pier...

Ah, back when the Golden Bear was still in business.

you know what as I typed that I thought about that and yes they were still in business and they were exactly caddy corner to where we passed out, I mean slept. highdesertranger

Camping in Malibu... I had to look that up, and found the following.  JEEEZ!  Look at the rates!  $50 minimum for tent camping (no dogs) up to $210 for full hookups PER NIGHT!   The maximum stay is 28 days  for.... gulp....$4,520.
https://www.maliburv.com/reservations.asp

I travel thru Malibu a few times a year and stealth camp. Best spot I have found in on Malibu Rd. From HWY 1, head south on Webb Rd (like 30 sec.). Take a right and your on Malibu Rd. There is a stretch of the road that is very wide. Park on the right when you see apts on your left and a fence on the right. Never had any issues as you look like your part of the apts. Have not stayed there for about a year, but it was quiet and no issues if it has not changed

Malibu surfer said:
I travel thru Malibu a few times a year and stealth camp. Best spot I have found in on Malibu Rd. From HWY 1, head south on Webb Rd (like 30 sec.). Take a right and your on Malibu Rd. There is a stretch of the road that is very wide. Park on the right when you see apts on your left and a fence on the right. Never had any issues as you look like your part of the apts. Have not stayed there for about a year, but it was quiet and no issues if it has not changed

About How far west of the intersection of Webb red and Malibu road is that.

To my recollection it is less than 1/4 mile. I believe it is the backside of a shopping center/post office... You will know as the road widens. Check out Google maps. Last time I was there a few big rigs were there... Hope it is still that way and not just for construction... I am always total stealth in my van so anywhere near apartments on the street I feel pretty confident. Malibu is more residential (obviously high end) so I always try to stay near apts or stores, etc...