Mac Mini on the road

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Using a Mac Mini in my build

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

wagoneer

Reaction score
I have been a big Mac fan for years. When they imposed "windows" on a brilliant system people were too lazy to learn how to use. I will adapt
the Mac Mini to work in my van, anyone do this ? tips/warnings more than welcome.

I love Apple stock. Apple products...not so much. As for Apple computers, I've had too many friends in the past ask me the same question over and over again "but does the program/app come in a Mac version?". Many times the answer was no...or if it did, would come later, sometimes much later or not at all. On the plus side, you can always go to a local Apple store to ask one of their "Genius" employees for expert help. By the way, if you're going to use iCloud...please, please, please, don't upload naked pictures of yourself. Haha! :)

I beg to differ some people would enjoy a chuckle as they view me sans . iCloud is not my intent
at 85 watt and using an existing tv/monitor the only thing that bothers me is power usage. Caseyc that was cute.

I'm not too computer savy...but over the years I've learned that I probably should have gone with Mac's. I'm a professional artist, and I've learned that Macs are way better for visual graphics.

when I was first shopping for computers, back in the early 90's, I went to the Mac guy here in town...but he was a knob, and he was the only Mac guy around. No way was I gonna give him my money.

the rest is history.

It's true that Macs are more geared for graphic artists. Back in the early 1990s, the PR dept of my university alumni dept all used Mac gear and told me both the hardware and software were all better suited for doing graphic illustrations for their monthly magazine publications. I recall them using very cool looking large vertical oriented monitors suited for page illustration. I don't recall Microsoft having similar products back in the 1990s. I also know numerous professional photographers who prefer Macs for the same reason and prefer to use Adobe Photoshop on their Mac monitor and hardware.

You can have both OSX and Windows on the same Mac Mini.

A good, compact choice, though the required add-ons can still make it unwieldy. Is a Macbook no good?

After being a pretty hard core Windows NT guy I decided I'd had enough of Windows when it became dated. I vowed to do anything in my power to not use Windows again including learning Linux and line command, which I did. In 2005-6 I bought my first Mac, a mini, the 1.43ghz power pc, I eventually graduated to a Mac Pro and even as I type this, I'm doing so from a Macbook Pro...with Linux on it. Simply put, Mac is not what it used to be, there is nothing you can do on a Windows computer you can't do on OS X, that was true before OS X but now that's just not the case. However, OS X in my opinion is not where it's at so back to open source I go. If it were me, I would make a 12v box and run Mint 17 on it, that should be fairly easy to do. You could alternately install it on a Mini and run it via a small inverter. I've thought of doing just what you are doing many time but in the end, I just feel there are much better options.

thank you all and TucsonAZ what does this mean"If it were me, I would make a 12v box and run Mint 17 on it" excuse my igno. my entire computer life is on this little mac, not that i don't have a life, thanks

If all your doing is surfing/email/pics/video an iPad would serve you well. I have a Mac mini and love it. It's very flexible and fairly easy to hack. I've taken mine completely apart installed a dual drive kit with an SSD for better performance. It's good for multi media. You can also get an Apple TV, hook it to your tv and have your own little mobile network with a Bluetooth keyboard. Hmmm now that I said all that I think I'd go with a MacBook Air and call it done if I had the dough.