• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Lou's Vardo is back on the market. Great deal!

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember that trailer from the RTR a few years back. it's a really nice trailer although I am not a fan of the suspension system. highdesertranger

You might explain why, HDR, because your reasons might not be relevant to those needs aren't the same as yours.

I am just not a fan of the rubber suspension for off road driving. there is very little suspension travel. there is very little clearance. if you have a problem in the sticks you would need to order parts and have them overnight shipped, because not many places carry parts.

I like the KISS approach, keep it simple stupid.

I feel the same about the rubber torsion axles.

leaf springs are super simple, super cheap, and super available.

my 2 cents

highdesertranger

Perhaps you meant: I am just not a fan of the rubber suspension FOR THE TYPE OF OFF ROAD DRIVING I DO — BUT OTHERS PROBABLY DON'T. there isn't enough suspension travel FOR THE TYPE OF OFF ROAD DRIVING I DO — BUT OTHERS PROBABLY DON'T. there isn't enough clearance FOR THE TYPE OF OFF ROAD DRIVING I DO — BUT OTHERS PROBABLY DON'T. if you have a problem in the sticks (LIKE I DO, BECAUSE I'M ALWAYS PUSHING THE LIMITS OF MY EQUIPMENT AND BREAKING THINGS) you would need to order parts...

HDR, you keep forgetting the vast majority of people on this forum won't be going way down nearly nonexistent roads, beating the crap out of their vehicles, tearing off mirrors, spare tires, etc. Yet you present your opinions without qualifiers, as if you obviously speak for everyone.

The first version of this trailer had super simple, super cheap, super available leaf springs — and it swayed and wobbled down the road like the primitive system it was. The current suspension fixed that. This trailer works excellently for the purposes it was intended — which happen to not be your purposes. It's for people who stick to pavement and maintained dirt roads. It has rolled just fine wherever the 2-wheel-drive F-150 (another woefully inadequate vehicle by your standards, I imagine) has towed it.

didn't I say in my first response,

"I am not a fan of the suspension system"

then in the second post when you asked why I said,

"I am just not a fan of the rubber suspension for off road driving"

notice the word "I" in both statements.

I am not the only one that feels this way some of the overland trailer builders have gone back to leaf springs because of issue with the rubber suspension.

you don't need to be on goat trails. some of the worse roads are MIANTAINED UNPAVED ROADS, some of them get terrible washboard sections that can last for miles and miles and some people drive faster on these roads because they think it helps smooth the road out when in fact it is terrible on the vehicles.

if rubber suspension is so good why don't any of the vehicle manufacturers use it? the closest you get to it is airbag suspension which in itself has good points and bad points.

my guess is if it had leaf springs and it handled badly once the enclosed trailer was built then,

the axle was never located in the correct location to carry the load
the build out threw the balance of the trailer out of wack
not enough tongue weight
if you ask me the center line of the axle still doesn't appear to be in the correct location to tell the truth IMO that trailer needs a dual axle. I am curious how much it weighs.

there are other things about it I am not fond of but I did say I thought it was a really nice trailer. why don't we concentrate on that.

highdesertranger

I a few years ago used to pass by it in the mountain area outside Yuma and later in Coyote Howls. Ever since I saw the Youtube interview I have been intrigued by the build as I started out building a lightweight small trailer with a much lighter weight frame with a single axle. I like the craftsmanship of the woodworking and thought that went into the layout. I believe he put the batteries on the tongue and most of the weight is towards the front in the original build. He later added 4' to the back of the trailer sort of a enclosed porch as he found he needed more room. When I saw his truck It had a topper and I believe it was used for storage as well. The end result was what worked for him and his lifestyle at the time. I ended up with a dual axle camper trailer frame under my tiny box trailer that I added 4' to due to the weight and it works well for me. Lou's trailer is several times over better built and designed in my opinion than any of the smaller Casita type fiberglass or really 99% of the manufactured trailers out there. It is a custom build and is one off as far as doing repairs or improvements if the new owners needs are different than what it has been used for for several years it could be difficult if you don't have the skills or resources to modify. I think it is a great built and would gladly put it up against almost any manufactured trailer even with it's less than ideal for me suspension. This trailer is a one of a kind handmade work of art in my opinion that Lou made work for him, good job Lou! I hope it goes to a good home and someone that appreciates it.

I couldn't agree more bullfrog. the wood working part of it is beautiful. highdesertranger

Lou I believe is a master woodworker/boat builder, Jamie of the van buildout did the video, only the highest quality materials, the shower is sealed wood even, water heater,composting toilet and other systems were used. I believe it was priced comparable to or a little more than a new Casita a year or so ago when it first went up for sale.

Would be great for a family of gypsies.Or a traveling circus.

The price is very negotiable. Make an offer. You might be pleasantly surprised.