Looking to join the tribe. Bags are packed.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4x4gamer

Reaction score
Hello everyone my names JR  (go by JR name is actually John Renfro Jr lol so you know where the JR comes from) I reached out to Bob and he told me to ask where the tribe is that's around Flaggstaf Az.  Im looking to meet up with folks later this month if any body could use the company. Been full timing for an honest 2 months but here in Oklahoma there is no free camping and I just really want to get out west. Even once I get a location it may be very likely that I stop in Carson National Forest
New Mexico 87530
https://goo.gl/maps/SekxY1PucQM2 for a month to replenish my funds. But if I can make it all the way to the tribe on my existing money then ill prolly just come straight away. 
Am I correct that there is free camping in Carson? 
Thanks in advance!! Can't wait to meet everybody!! 

Welcome 4x4gamer to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

I'll be in Flagstaff early next month if not sooner. Hopefully a few others too.

Welcome aboard JR !
There will almost always be tribe in the Az high country every summer. Post when you get close and they will guide you in.

Hi JR,
I arrived in Flagstaff today, lots of great spots to camp. I haven't found any tribe yet. But found a big site to camp.
Roger

Thanks everybody for the replies. Im going to leave Oklahoma on the 17th as long as everything goes as planned. Im definitely going to stop in Carson cause ill need the rest and some time out of the drivers seat. So I guess ill reply back here when I've made it that far, and at that time maybe I can nail down a date to meet up with yall or anyone that doesn't mind meeting up. Its a great relief to start my adventure knowing there's friendly folk already doing this I can meet and learn the ropes from. Thanks again everybody. If there's a better way to let yall know about my progress rather than me posting here then just let me know what to do and ill do that instead.

Define "free camping."

Many of us live this lifestyle simply on city streets wherever, and I'm sure you could do the same in Oklahoma. Yet there is a difference between existing and living, and if living for you is joining vandwellers in the southwest then do it! In the southwest this lifestyle is more common and there's lots of public land so it's easier to do it openly. But don't think you can't do it anywhere.

TMG51 said:
Define "free camping."

Many of us live this lifestyle simply on city streets wherever, and I'm sure you could do the same in Oklahoma. Yet there is a difference between existing and living, and if living for you is joining vandwellers in the southwest then do it! In the southwest this lifestyle is more common and there's lots of public land so it's easier to do it openly. But don't think you can't do it anywhere.
Yeah your right I've been parking overnight in neighborhoods and Walmart but its just existing but totally possible in Oklahoma as I've been doing it for two months but if I had to do it another two months I would be misserable. And that really has nothing to do with the small space or my rig or anything really to do with the life style. I guess my rig is starting to feel like a prison cell cause as soon as I step outside im in public well even before that really as soon as I take down my shades im in public and im terrified of accidently changing clothes to close to a park or school or church or whatever and the wrong person being nosy and then im a sex offender for the rest of my life. I know that sounds extreme but trust me I would not put it past Oklahoma law enforcement to take that situation to the max just to prove a point and make an example. Of course since im aware of this I am taking every possible precaution to be as legal as possible but its exhausting. So yeah I just would like to go where I can make life easier on myself and actually enjoy the benefits of the lifestyle and I feel like from research mostly on here that Id be best served out west, where as you said its more common and accepting. 
Oh by free camping im just meaning where I can go and not pay to just be there overnight and where its ok for me to change in my vehicle and cook outside and just normal camping activities. Where I can step out of my rig barefoot and not be looked at like a homeless person. Let me know your thoughts if I've got the wrong idea about this? Thanks for chatting with me.

Hey again everybody I'm leaving Oklahoma and heading west here in the next couple hours I don't know where to go really I was gonna stop in Carson national forest but to be honest I'm a bit skiddish kinda scared lol. Kinda just want to meet up with people ASAP just so ill rest easy lol. I guess the flagstaff area is the place to get to? If that's correct just send me a message please? Thanks in advance!!

:)  Hello and Welcome 4x4 G.   Just a suggestion,  something I do/tell myself quiet often....Take a few deep breaths and say "it's gonna be alright, I'm gonna be O.K."    I  wind myself up some days with too many "what ifs and what do I do now's"  

This place here has some of the kindest and most understanding & helpful people in one place [yet scattered all over] that I've ever ran across.  If you have a question or problem just ask and someone will surely get back to you.  

What kind of rig are you travelling in?  Do you have what you need to be comfortable?  You do not need to answer unless you want to.  I hope you have safe travels and find some of the tribe along the way.  If you want to post where you are as you go along  you might be able to meet up with folks as you travel.

I just read in your profile that you have a Trail Blazer. Under "Other Conversions" at the top of the page there is a full size Blazer conversion. You may have seen it? I had a big 1981 Bronco and the 1st thing I did was take out the back seat and put it in the house.

Jewellann and Queenie my Guard Dawg Chihuahua

Congrats, 4x4!! Go slow and enjoy the journey! Check out the Capt's Logs and start a thread and thrill us with pictures of your backyard!!!

I went 499 miles today!!! Uggg Im exhausted. In New mexiCo on my way to flagstaff to meet up with yall. If anybody wants to meet up just um I guess message me or post here and guide me in please. Thanks everybody for all the kind words!!

Thats alot of driving...after 3hrs or 200ish Im pooped!

Welcome!

Yeah I was beat last night for sure. I'm disabled and have enough hardware in my body to build a two stroke motor so I was sore lol. Txjaybird is right I gotta slow down but I know at first well actually all day yesterday I was running from some emotions I teard up pulling out of Tulsa. But I think its gonna be ok. Changed my oil last night and all seems to be good with my rig. Well at least everything I know to check. I was an A &P mechanic for years so I'm not completely lost on mechanical stuff but I'm no car guy either. So anyways I think I'm gonna head up to Carson National Forest after all I can't drive all the way across New Mexico and half way across Arizona and not just kill my body in the next few days cause I know I would do that lol. I've never been the one to just be like well ill get there when I get there but I'm gonna try to be more that way I think it would be good for me. Last night when I laid down I thought nothing is making me beat feet as fast as possible to Arizona so why am I hauling ass like this lol. Ok this is prolly excessively long so ill check in when I get closer. Take care everybody!!

4x4gamer said:
I gotta slow down ....... its gonna be ok. ...... So anyways I think I'm gonna ..... not just kill my body in the next few days ...... ill get there when I get there ...........I think it would be good for me. Last night when I laid down I thought nothing is making me beat feet as fast as possible to Arizona so why am I hauling ass like this lol.
You've got this, 4 x 4!  Growing pains? You bet! I have been doing the same this past week, to move through the fears to buy the vehicle to convert. It is refreshing to read your candid, honest posts as you head out. It encourages me as I sit here with my doubts. Thanks for your posts. I'd love to hear a description of what you find around you at Carson while you chill there a while to rest up. That suggestion to start a Captain's Log is making me curious. I'm going to head to that thread and see what is there. Enjoy your journey.  TL

Latest posts