Looking for someone to foster a cat for a few days in NYC

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

K1ngN0thing

Reaction score
I've got a cat ready to be imported, and need someone to hold him in NYC for a few days until the transport service can pick him up. You would need to pick him up from the airport. I don't have a lot of money, but if you're a fan of video games/anime/film, I can offer a $10 discount code to my online shop.

I need someone to hold him because the transport service only makes their rounds once a week, and it's too tricky trying to line that up with flights.

He's coming from Istanbul. Someone posted on reddit that they'd found a street cat who was clearly abandoned and wasn't faring well. They got him treated and couldn't keep him, so he'd have gone back on the street. I'd been throwing around the idea of adopting a cat, and figured now's as good a time as any. He's a cute little bugger:

There are responsibilities and there are drawbacks to accepting a pet into your life. That time has already begun for you, so IMO, you needed to adjust your plans to be able to be there for your new buddy.
That kitten is gonna be scared and a foster layover isn't gonna help a bit. It needs to know right from the start that he is home...feeling the love.

I'm not a cat kind of guy, but all of my dogs have been rescues and they need all the bolstering they can get, especially at first.
Hope you can just get there and meet that flight.

K1ngN0thing said:
He's coming from Istanbul. Someone posted on reddit that they'd found a street cat who was clearly abandoned and wasn't faring well. They got him treated and couldn't keep him, so he'd have gone back on the street. I'd been throwing around the idea of adopting a cat, and figured now's as good a time as any. He's a cute little bugger:

"Istanbul"
street [feral] cat
"Reddit"

The cat's not feral. He's not even a year old, and was clearly (according to the poster) adapted to living in a house. "Istanbul" and "Reddit" aren't inherently things to be wary of.

There have been no requests for money, and it was stated up front that everything would be paid for (he's even been fixed). I'm more concerned that he'll change his mind and decide to keep the cat, than I am about it being a scam.

It just seems strange~~~ Sending a cat around the world to re home it.   :huh:

There are millions of cats needing a forever home here.  

I hope this works out for you.  I just do not trust anything that sounds too good to be true.

I have a dumpster baby that was very small and scared when I got him. I have had him for two years and love him to death but he is a weird little dude! You really have to be okay with this kind of cat. I know he loves me back but it is totally on his terms........little sh!t. :)

GotSmart said:
It just seems strange~~~ Sending a cat around the world to re home it.   :huh:

There are millions of cats needing a forever home here.  

I hope this works out for you.  I just do not trust anything that sounds too good to be true.

There are, but they cost money to adopt. This one was in immediate need of a home and I gave it a week to see if anyone else offered to take him. I just couldn't bear the thought of him going back to the streets to his probable death.

highdesertranger said:
you do realize age has nothing to do if it's feral or not. highdesertranger

Sure, but it makes it less likely. This cat's obviously not adapted to life in the "wild" streets, so it's not feral.

Konaexpress said:
I have a dumpster baby that was very small and scared when I got him. I have had him for two years and love him to death but he is a weird little dude! You really have to be okay with this kind of cat. I know he loves me back but it is totally on his terms........little sh!t. :)

According to the rescuer, he's incredibly sweet, and loves to rest on shoulders. I'm not worried :)

So, let me see if I get this straight ( As a person I have previously lived in the middle east with my dog ):
I am supposed to pick this cat up at the airport. This is considered cargo. The cat will go through a security checkpoint for drugs, etc. and I am supposed to accept this as my cargo?????????????????/
Hummmmmm.
Belinda2

I remember my friend was moving to Hawaii with her dog, and we were both surprised at the amount of paperwork involved. IIRC, there was even a quarantine period....

I'm also surprised that there is not a quarantine period.

Depends on the state and animal. Some only require it to have been done in the past year, or within 30 days of entry.

This whole conversation sounds shady to me. Somebody, you or him, could be doing something illegal. If your only in Rhode Island, just change the shipping date, for you to accept it. I wouldn't recommend anyone on this site blindly accept your "cargo" (sorry, but that's what a cat is considered) shipment.

I really don't see what could go wrong. Keep in mind you're also going only by what I've said, while I've been talking with the other party, so my read of the situation is going to be more accurate, but let's entertain the paranoia. I'm definitely not doing anything illegal, and what could he possibly accomplish with a cat, especially when the one picking him up is not a known associate of his?

https://www.reddit.com/user/portokalada here you can see the original post.

K1ngN0thing said:
I really don't see what could go wrong. Keep in mind you're also going only by what I've said, while I've been talking with the other party, so my read of the situation is going to be more accurate, but let's entertain the paranoia. I'm definitely not doing anything illegal, and what could he possibly accomplish with a cat, especially when the one picking him up is not a known associate of his?

https://www.reddit.com/user/portokalada here you can see the original post.

I think most of us are not able to conceive of the idea of a certified cat nut shipping a kitten around the world to find it a home.  We cat nuts are a special kind of crazy.   :blush:

We recently had one driven 120 miles to us by a rescue volunteer, so others thinking on a global scale is possible.   It looks like my traveling buddy, so I for one am hoping this works.  

Post pictures, and get a harness to help keep track of it.