Looking for opinions on heaters

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alaska! I was in alaska a few years ago. I found out that the vehicles there have engine block heaters, starting battery heaters, transmission heaters and ??? Escapes me at the moment but I remember 4 heates. They all had a 120V AC plug hanging out of the grill to plugin when stopped overnight. Shoot, even the walmart had plugs out in the parking lot (only on in winter). Summer, 24 hour daylight, winter nighttime. Summer is mostly pleasant but I think the winters would be brutal unless maybe on the southern coast.

Bob had a blog post that I can't seem to find about time living there in the winter. He never turned the heater off except to change tanks.

Your lithium batteries are not going to like the cold.

ah you can tell summer is winding down when heater threads start replacing AC threads.

just remember no matter what type of heater you use you must be able to stay warm and alive without any artificial heat source. Brian has touched on it a few times. please pick out the best low rated sleeping bag you can afford and then get the next best one. BTW that last little tidbit comes from Colin Fletcher, the godfather of backpacking. heed this and you will not be sorry or dead. highdesertranger

The condensation from the Wave 3 heaters is none to minimal here in the desert, where we spend the winters. If we lived back East, I don't think that would work as well.
Ted

Its looking like ive settle on a suburban. Thermostat control and they are on Amazon for 300$ for the 16000btu model. Should be almost over kill for my little van. Will warm up fast and run less.

My thermostat is located at the head of the bed so I can turn it down at night and then back up before I get out of bed. Mount the furnace where it doesn't blow in the direction of the thermostat as it will get a false reading and cycle more. Mine is mounted midship pointed into the aisle. When I sit in the turned around passenger seat, it blows on my feet :)

I might add extra bedding in dry bags should be carried as condensation can get your regular bedding wet. Walmart/Sam’s Club sell a fuzzy thick comforter around this time of year that along with some homemade quilts work really well for us.

A furnace dries the air and doesn't add any moisture. If it is cold under the bed, condensation will occur between the mattress and the support just like on a boat. Something to be aware of. You may have to lift the mattress in the morning to let the condensation dry out or use a mattress ventilation system designed for boats.

Edit to add: I have a ventilation system for the mattress and use a bed wetters full mattress cover for the mattress to keep it from absorbing any moisture.

Truman said:
working in Alaska is on my bucket list.
Well.. Trump did officially just open up ANWR..

You may want to start pointing that way soon if you don't mind the oil biz. That is going to be a huge boon to the State economy. Not quite like in pipeline days but gonna be close. Outside of the hard to enter fishing industry..,unless on a processor or the timber industry.,, everything else is tourism... get an oil gig.. You can start by checking out the union, I think most of the oil related jobs are under a collective agreement.

As things get crazier down in the lower 48.. I am pretty sure I will be back up there relatively soon. Ill let you know after the election. :p

Thanks for the tip man. That's exactly the kind of work I'm looking for.

I tried one of the buddy heaters.. wow...

It guzzled the propane.. blasted me with heat. and put out what I consider a ton of "exhaust". I took it back. I ended up getting a Journey 3.

Pretty much like the Olympian heaters.. a couple things different. I like that it has a low oxygen sensor/shutoff, a metal slide on cover, and the tip over shutoff..which works maybe too well with bumpings.

https://www.enerco.com/journey-3-portable-catalytic-heater-series.html

I think the price is very similar to the Olympian.. I did notice in the stats that while they both pump out 3000 btu at the top.. the Journey says it heats 130sqft and the Olympian 100 sqft... hmm..someone is telling tales??

I have used it a couple times.. it works good. I did notice a faint smell of propane.. which was a bit annoying. Also the pilot stays lit for the Journey, I heard that is not the case with the Olympians...??

The tech data also says the Journey is good up to 7000 feet and the Olympian says up to 9000 feet elevation..

Im not a fan of the buddy heaters. They are not really for fulltime use. I've gone through 3 of them now over 4 winters. But... hey...they are only....70$

Usually the problem with the buddy heaters is when used with a larger tank and rubber hose instead of the Teflon one as rubber one deteriorates and clogs up things. Plus the mats get dirty if not covered when stored.

desert_sailing said:
Journey 3.

Pretty much like the Olympian heaters.. a couple things different. I like that it has a low oxygen sensor/shutoff, a metal slide on cover...
The tech data also says the Journey is good up to 7000 feet and the Olympian says up to 9000 feet elevation..
My Buddy was sent onward as well.  The metal cover on the Journey 3 looks like a nice feature.  I have an Olympian in a plastic box (for protection) under the bed.  It's been tested, but I honestly hope to never use it.  The low oxygen shutoff feature on the Journey 3 is probably why it's rated for 7,000 and under.  Always a trade off somewhere.

I just ordered a Dickinson Newport Solid Fuel heater. It will burn wood, presto logs, charcoal, and coal.

Here's my reasoning: Easy to install compared to some of the other options. Dry heat. More involved to operate than other options, but it's simple. Doesn't use any battery power. It's quiet. Can use just about any solid fuel (I'll likely use charcoal briquettes). Far less likely to break down than the more complex options. Not having to run propane or liquid fuel lines into the van appeals to me. And I prefer using the KISS principle whenever possible.

There are a lot of options in terms of solid fuel burners, but I got the Newport because of its small footprint, it's not limited only to wood, and because my van isn't very big (Ford E350 low top extended body). Also installed a CO/smoke detector and a fire extinguisher - should be in every van regardless of the heating method.

Dickenson make great products I am sure you will be happy with the build. I installed a diesel version on a sail boat several years back and installed the propane version in my kurbmaster. I Loved/love them both. I only see two downsides to solid fuel. One is Fuel storage, two the smoke coming from the stack, three the small fire box, otherwise great choice. They look nice.

Thanks for the confirmation on the Dickinson. It does have a small firebox, especially when burning wood, but with charcoal or coal it should last much longer before having to feed it again. I've been using solid fuel heaters for many decades and enjoy the process.

I have the Dickenson propane fireplace and love this thing. It puts out a nice steady heat, sips propane and the fan for it can't even be measured for its electrical draw. These things are so well made that I think any version you get you will be happy with and will work for a very long time. I also like that it uses a double chimney to bring fresh air from outside and then send the exhaust air back out as well so it is a totally closed system.

I've been in LA the last few years so rarely see very cold weather but have use it more on trips in colder climates. I don't know how it would do in sub freezing temperatures but I don't plan to spend any winters in that sort of climate. But even in cold weather dipping below freezing it has kept the van nice and comfortable.

deadwood said:
I've been in LA the last few years so rarely see very cold weather but have use it more on trips in colder climates. I don't know how it would do in sub freezing temperatures but I don't plan to spend any winters in that sort of climate. But even in cold weather dipping below freezing it has kept the van nice and comfortable.
I have used the deisel version in freezing conditions as well as the propane one no problems, the deisel was the most economical, I figured my propane one burns a little less the a pound every 7 hours. I have a well insulated van so it is always on low except when attempting a fast warm up. The fan does not have to be run on low although it helps to move air around, being variable speed it doesn’t have to draw a lot of power. The fan is a nice option although not nescassery, does the solid fuel have a fan?