Looking for opinions on heaters

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman

Reaction score
I have a small class b.i been using a buddy heater hooked to a 30lb propane tank. Well the heater died on me so I figure now is a good time to upgrade. I didnt really like it much anyway because of the condensation and uneven heat.

The first thing I thought was to buy one of those chinese diesel heaters. But I'm not sure how long the fuel last. I dont want to make a diesel trip every other day. I liked that part about the buddy heater. A tank of propane lasted 2 weeks.

I also have a pretty large solar system. 1175 watts and 100ah @24v. Was also eyeing up these 700w radiant electric heaters on Amazon. Anyone have experience with them?

If my suburban furnace ever dies I will replace it with another. Everyone complains about the electricity draw but with your system, you probably wouldn't even notice it. Great dry heat with a thermostat and I have to have propane anyway.

Which model do you have? Do you hook it up to a regular 20lb propane tank?

If you have a B motorhome, there should already be a place to put it. Mine is IIRC 16k BTU's. Mine is tied into the onboard propane system. I see no reason that it couldn't be connected to an external tank. You will need a regulator at the tank. Mine also powers the fridge (absorption) and my water heater + cooktop.

It sounds like you are in a van though as no onboard propane or heater. IDK, maybe not all B's have that. I don't want to carry another fuel and have no idea if you 24VDC system would support an electrical resistance heater + your normal loads. This is where math comes into play.

I don't have onboard propane. There's an electric heater in this for when you plug into shore power. It's from 1993. I'm scared to turn it on with my batteries. I have 2 battlenborns and 2000w inverter.

They do make vented propane heaters without a fan that would serve your needs, if the heat from the buddy was sufficient. You already have a propane bottle. If I remember correctly they have a metal box with a barbecue grill like burner that heats the box while drawing and exhausting out a single double layered pipe, so only one hole.

I have one like this in my B.  Two holes through the outside wall for fresh air intake (combustion) and the other for exhaust.  Any propane furnace can be plumbed to and extenal tank, it does not have to be built in.

I am not trying to dissuade you from other options but you already know about burning propane inside.  I am just telling you what works well for me.

Options pro's and con's.
Electric heater - Safe heat - power hungry and may require a generator if not enough batteries/solar
Diesel heater - safe heat - carry another fuel and it is oil so somewhat messy to mess with.
Propane furnace (as above) - safe heat - you already carry propane
What you have been doing for heat - heat - moisture and careful with placing things near it.

If there is another option, IDK what it is.

Hopefully you have an RV rated propane detector and carbon monoxide detector.  A cheap battery operated smoke detector works well and is what came in mine.  All 3 of mine have been replaced as they don't work forever.

Thanks

Im really curious about how long those diesel heaters run on a tank of diesel. And if anyone knows of electric heaters that play well with solar.

Also. Propexs.

After going through all the above, a good sleeping bag is a must. Just run the heat just before bed and again when you get up. I set my thermostat at 55 for the night and turn it up in the morning. You have to plan for when your heating source fails.

Diesel fueled bunk heaters can burn about one gallon of diesel per night when its a really cold night, (below freezing) and you are trying to heat the typical interior of a small RV or medium to large van...average insulation values (meaning not great).

That burn rate will be much less if the nights are mildly cool and/or you have really good insulation. It depends on a lot factors.

Cheap chinese bunk heaters (also called parking heaters, diesel heaters, etc) are not known for 100% reliability. Buy two and then you should have all the spare parts you might need in a typical heating season. Or carry a spare heater of some kind like the Buddy heater or a Camco Wave.

It sounds like you have plenty of electric power to run the DC side of either the propane furnace OR the diesel bunk heater.

You (the OP) dont really have enough energy available to try to heat entirely with electric, unless you are hooked up to shore power.

We have a Wave 3 in both the trailer and the van. We've been pleased enough that we installed a Wave 6 in our tiny house. We have a furnace in the trailer, but it is so noisy and the Wave 3 is adequate for the job, though we very seldom get into the lower 20s or teens.

Whatever you have, if it is propane, make sure you have a carbon monoxide and propane detector.

I learned when reading the instructions on the propane detector that you will smell it long before the detector alarms, so the detector is for those with bad sniffers or to wake you up. We have one because Hubby's sense of smell is sadly lacking.
Ted

I have a Dickenson vented propane heater that has a fan but you don’t have to use it on low, The fan is variable speed, a double Chimney pipe to draw and exhaust no condensation. Low profile chimney cap. All stainless. I used to have a diesel version of this stove on a sailboat, it was very economical much more so than the propane version, burns 3lbs in 28 hours. The propane version heats up faster. Neither have thermostats. They look nice. They are expensive.

Olympian wave 3, I have had one for 10+ years. If installed according to the instructions regarding ventilation, it will work amazingly well, zero electricity use, and very little propane use. Must have a good carbon monoxide detector.

i have a Suburban RV Furnace, propane. It is much better than smelly diesel oil.

Truman said:
I don't have onboard propane. There's an electric heater in this for when you plug into shore power. It's from 1993. I'm scared to turn it on with my batteries. I have 2 battlenborns and 2000w inverter.
Truman, forget electric heating. To run the little 5130 Btu electric heaters sold everywhere you are talking about 1500 watts per hour. You could only run this for a little over an hour and your batteries are at low voltage cutout.

Truman, the problem with electric heating is the efficiency issue. No matter how fancy they package the heater shroud, you are faced with only 3.42 Btu's per watt. You can do the math now.

I have a zero degree bag. That's the first thing I bought when I moved into a van. I didn't even have a buddy heater at that time. I remember my first night in the van it was 2°. The bag kept me very warm. Best money I ever spent.

I'd really like to have normal heat distribution, no condensation, and a fuel source that will last at least a week before needing refilled. I guess my best option at this point is a propex or suburban hooked up to my 30lb propane tank.

I'm weary of the Olympic heaters. I imagine they still let off condensation.

One thing I liked about the diesel unit I saw is it heated the engine coolant so you don't need a block heater in extreme cold. I like cold climates and working in Alaska is on my bucket list.

I did buy a 200w electric heater. I know its not going to heat the whole van but im curious what it can do as I just built this large solar system recently.

Thanks everyone for participating