• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Van Living Forum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Looking for a class A or older bus around CO

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drifted_Cowboy

Reaction score
If anyone happens to come across a nice clean looking class a or an older bus conversion we'd sure like to see it. We're hoping our step up from our entry level beater will be in the 6 to 10 thousand range.

Doesn't have to be anything special but unique is a huge plus. We have 2 adults, a 6, 3 and 1 year old and a dog. We're in a 19 ft right now. It's a touch cramped. I'm pretty new at this and any help or guidance towards a good boondocking rig is certainly appreciated.

I'm a huge fan of school busses...as they're built with 'Roll-over' standards, so that the kids inside have protection. (something I'm sure you'll appreciate.)

I also like busses as they're built on a heavier chassis, and the metal skin is a whole lot tougher than the thin aluminum or fiberglass skin on a conventional RV.

Unfortunately...they don't get as good of gas mileage, mostly because they weigh more.

I also like busses because they have alot more charactor, and can be easily modified to fit whatever your needs may be...and that's something that means alot to me as well.

Doing a conversion is definitely in the plans down the road. There just isn't time and a place to do it this summer and I need to move up into something I can reasonably trust on the road pretty soon.

PastTense said:
Have you thought of converting a bus yourself?

Anyone have an opinion of these transit buses (from Steamboat Springs, Colorado)?
http://www.publicsurplus.com/sms/all,co/browse/cataucs?catid=411

My take is they have too many windows to deal with. They are not designed for standing around comfort. They have to be moving with A/C(or heat) full on for comfort for some and unbearable extremes for others in the bus. If you have ever been on a bus where the engine was stopped, it is like an airplane on the tarmac with the engines out.

See what GotSmart (I think) has done for his skoolie with window replacements.

I did think about a Ford E450 Bus myself, but the windows gave pause.

-Wayne