Looking at a 72 Chinook 18+

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whitewolf

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm still around. But now I'm getting serious. Looked at this old Dodge Chinook today. Haven't seen the inside yet but the outside looks good. Running and inspected til August. I'm trying not to get too excited but I really like it. If I hit the lottery, I'd get a new Roadtrek. But I guess this is the closest I will get. Any hints specific to this type of RV?

In '72 they still had points ignition. Electronic came in '73 and an improvement. 318 or 360 engine? If it's only a 318 it would be under-powered IMO. If you stayed on flatland though it'd be OK.

Thank you, I was assuming it was a 360. Didn't know.

'72 was the first year for the 360 as an option but a MH could be a 'leftover' chassis from '71 and titled as a '72. I guess it could also be a 413. If the distributor is in the front, then it's a big block 413. Plenty of torque but a gas eater.

Do you plan to do a lot travelling or will you park it somewhere? Are you capable of doing mechanical work or have a good chunk of money set aside for repairs? A '72 is pretty old and there's a good chance it will be a money pit. If you plan on hitting the road, old tires can be dangerous even if they have great tread. They're also expensive to replace. There is a Dodge MH section of RV.net you should maybe ask questions on. It's for Class C's but they can steer you in the right direction as the Chinooks are a Class A?

http://www.rv.net/forums/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14219250.cfm

bindi&us said:
I think the 18 plus is a class C rig , if I recall correctly.

Yeah, you're right. I was getting it confused with the 2200. There's quite a difference.

I wouldn't call it a Class C. Kind of a tweener. I call it a B though some call it a B+. No full bunk over the cab though you could stick a little kid up there if you had one. Fold out bed on one side. Narrow bed on the other. The usual "dinette" bed set-up.

Yeah, everything takes money. Poor people buy old stuff and put money in it every month. More affluent people get a loan and pay money every month. Rich people don't really care about such stuff. My plans for hitting the road have been set back a year. So I got time to play. I figure it's a classic and if I work on it, it will always be worth something. You seldom get your money back on things that you drive.

We used to camp out of an old conversion van. And it broke down a few times. But you didn't know it was going to do that until you already packed everything up. So then we would have to unpack and re-setup camp Which really made it a PITA.

So I was laughing when I told my son, "If we get an old MH and it breaks down, heck, we still have a home. We got the stove, the fridge, the toilet, the TV. We just chill, man".

Latest posts