Looking at a 1991 Dodge B150

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StarDestroyer

Reaction score
I found this 1991 Dodge B150 Shorty van that I'm going to look at on Monday...

https://battlecreek.craigslist.org/cto/5906382832.html

Looks like it's really clean. I spoke to the guy and he said it might need shocks soon, but outside of that, didn't mention any mechanical/glaring issues. I did some Googling but wasn't really able to find a whole lot of information on these. I'm in no way a mechanic, or auto-savvy, so I wasn't sure if these are prone to any certain issues, or if there's anything I should take into consideration before buying. I wasn't able to KBB it (they only go back to '92) but the '92 I priced said $1,600 in excellent condition so I probably wouldn't offer much more than $1,500 for it. Otherwise it seems like a good deal?

$2,500 is pretty much the absolute cap on what I can afford, and I'm worried this will turn out to be one of those "too good to be true" deals. But I'm cautiously hopeful, and hoping that someone may have experience with these, or at least knowledge/better Googling skills than me...

I did check out AdventureManVan's youtube channel, specifically this one detailing how he set up his B150. I feel that I could handle living in that small of a space if the trade off is easier handling. I am an incredibly anxious driver. I learned how to drive in an Astrovan, and that was mildly uncomfortable for me. I rode passenger in a Ford E-150, and it felt like an absolute beast. So I'm thinking that a shorty will be the way to go as far as ease of driving. I plan to spend most my time in the front seat or exploring, so living space isn't my biggest concern, I suppose. I would like to be able to stow my bike inside, which may prove difficult. I originally intended taking out the passenger seat and placing it there, but not sure if there's a better idea?

But yeah, long and short of it, I'm wondering whether I should seriously consider the B150 in that post, or if I'm better off holding off for now and going with something else. The low miles are a big plus, especially if the body's in as good of shape as it looks...

Thanks in advance!

1991. Its the last of the pre-magnum 3.9L. Its slow, but great engine. A999 great transmission. The problem with B series vans of this vintage is the rust. Especially in the front steering area. Poor gas mileage compared to V8's. My old Dodge V6 shorty only got 15 mpg, when my V8 got 14mpg, had over 250K on the clock, but it NEVER left me stranded even-though in the end, it was burning a quart of oil every 500 miles, and was making some worrying rod knock type noise at idle.

Check for roof gutter rust ( bring a small step ladder) and also around windshield, in addition to the underbody rust Streamjam1 mentioned.

Sniff transmission fluid, Should smell sweet. Wipe it on white paper towel, Pink is good, red is likely OK, brown and smelling burnt is run away screaming.

The last picture shows a bulkhead with no door.  Do you intend to remove it?  It will cut down on the usable room.

Attachments

• 00I0I_gAQm8RpYldb_600x450.jpg
    00I0I_gAQm8RpYldb_600x450.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 9
It's got MOON Eyes on the dash... it's GOTTA be good!!!
720649d713ad4d67f4a89aeedc72b9ca.jpg

On a serious note... why are you an "incredibly anxious driver?" And why does four feet of length frighten you so? Do you have a physical limitation that affects your depth perception, or is it just that you've not gotten enough experience to feel comfortable with something larger? If experience is all you lack, then perhaps giving that some thought might start you down the road to NOT being so anxious about driving.

I will add that compared to my Ford RV van, that old Dodge v6 shorty I owned was REALLY easy to work on. Everything was "right there" and if you want to learn how to work on cars, the old pre-magnum Dodge V6 powered full size van is the ideal way to learn. It's got a super simple fuel injection system, no transmission computer, you don't need any special tools to work on them (other then that stupid thread on upper ball joint tool.), parts are EVERYWHERE and super cheap.

My old shorty... I kinda wish I kept it and just invested the money into a new engine and used it as a work van. The V6 pre magnum engine equipped vans are relatively rare, and are nearly bomb proof.

The transmissions lacking fluid coolers is the mechanical Achilles Heel of the Dodge B vans. I have welded a few Dodge van idler arm brackets back together, and patched the frame under the steering box on these vans. I cannot stress enough the importance of a chassis inspection before you buy. The windshield pillar and front bulkhead rust is more a pre-1986 problem when Dodge was still sealing the areas with expandable foam that soaked water up like a sponge.

Steamjam1- Something mechanically solid that's easy enough to learn how to fix myself and cheap enough to pay someone else to do if I can't is definitely a big determining factor. Ideally I'd like to be able to take the whole thing apart and put it back together before taking off so I'm totally comfortable with it, but I want to at least have an understanding of the basics, and how it all works. Slow is fine by me as long as she's sturdy! 15mpg isn't the greatest, but I've accepted that's likely around what I'll get, as I probably won't be able to afford something newer that can get me closer to 20 (or more). Perhaps one day, but right now just looking for something to get me comfortably and safely from Point A to Point B (and then C, D, E, etc ad nauseum, heh) Will definitely make a note to inspect the chassis thoroughly before making any decisions.

BC Guy- Yeah, even if the bulkhead had a door, I'd likely remove it anyway. I want to have easy access from front to back without having to leave the vehicle, and especially in a shorty, I want all the room I can get. Aside from privacy purpose, I can't see any reason to keep it there. Some blackout curtains or something along those lines would work just as well, without cutting down on room, I'd think.

Hepcat- Well yeah, can't let a hot rod like that go unrecognized... ;P In regards to my statement about being an incredibly anxious driver... I have generalized anxiety disorder so am just naturally anxious in day to day activities. But I got T-boned back in 2011 and wound up with a pretty nasty TBI, so that traumatized me a bit. The whole idea of my going on a road trip is actually in hopes of overcoming my anxieties about driving, so I may just need to "suck it up" and go big or go (or stay, rather) home. I do think you're right though in that a large part of my wanting something smaller is just due to the fact that I don't have any experience with any vehicle larger than an Astrovan. If I could find a full sized that handled and maneuvered as well as something smaller, I'd give it a go. Can always go find a parking lot somewhere and play around to get a feel for it. I think in the long run I'd probably be glad I went with something larger...

I'll probably go give the shorty a look, just to get a feel for how it rides, but seeing as how I still have time before taking off, will likely keep my eyes open for a full size. Hopefully I can get my hands on a pre-magnum Dodge as Steamjam1 suggested, or something similiarly easy/cheap to learn and work on.

Thanks for all the advice, guys! :)

StarDestroyer said:
Hepcat- Well yeah, can't let a hot rod like that go unrecognized... ;P In regards to my statement about being an incredibly anxious driver... I have generalized anxiety disorder so am just naturally anxious in day to day activities. But I got T-boned back in 2011 and wound up with a pretty nasty TBI, so that traumatized me a bit. The whole idea of my going on a road trip is actually in hopes of overcoming my anxieties about driving, so I may just need to "suck it up" and go big or go (or stay, rather) home. I do think you're right though in that a large part of my wanting something smaller is just due to the fact that I don't have any experience with any vehicle larger than an Astrovan. If I could find a full sized that handled and maneuvered as well as something smaller, I'd give it a go. Can always go find a parking lot somewhere and play around to get a feel for it. I think in the long run I'd probably be glad I went with something larger...

I'll probably go give the shorty a look, just to get a feel for how it rides, but seeing as how I still have time before taking off, will likely keep my eyes open for a full size. 

I didn't mean to pry...  and thanks for the explanation.  Living with a TBI is a challenge in and of itself.  I commend you for doing your best to move outside your comfort zone and not be trapped by what seem to be insurmountable challenges.  

I have a 19' commercial moho conversion.  I've had a '92 Ford standard van conversion, and a couple of 19's now, and there is a difference in the length for maneauverability, but it's not significant enough not to enjoy the added room, strorage, and capacity.   It may not sound like much extra, but believe me, the difference is a big in living space as you currently perceive it to be in drivability; and very little actual difference in drivability.  Remember to consider how much time you'll spend driving vs. how much time you'll spend in the living space.  

Your advice to yourself is sound.  Get out there and drive as many as you can to see for yourself how well you can do in a longer van.   If you decide that the shorty is still the way to go, more power to you... but at least give yourself the opportunity to try them out.  If nothing else, it'll expand your horizons pretty dramatically...   and it seems that this whole endeavor is, for you, an opportunity to expand your horizons.

Good luck, and happy hunting!

Have someone who knows what they are doing CHECK FOR RUST.  I think you will find this van does NOT have a frame.  I grew up in Michigan
(was actually born in Battle Creek) and I know rust is not your friend.  This van is probably what I call a unit-body which means a bunch of sheet metal pieces are welded together making a strong unit when new, BUT those individual pieces rust over time causing bad things to happen.  Have a good body man and mechanic look it over.

StarDestroyer said:
I found this 1991 Dodge B150 Shorty van that I'm going to look at on Monday...

https://battlecreek.craigslist.org/cto/5906382832.html

Looks like it's really clean. I spoke to the guy and he said it might need shocks soon, but outside of that, didn't mention any mechanical/glaring issues.

The B150 is a light duty van, so think about how much you want to load it up with. If you're going to only go with the basics, it'll do just fine.
Bring a mechanically inclined friend.
From what I can see, this van belongs to a band member that needs the money for something else now. Some band members aren't always maintenance savvy, others are, so check it out closely, then offer $1500. If he doesn't bite and you like it, you can always offer more incrementally.
Typical band members I have known usually need money, so move up only after a long pause.
Good Luck.