Long term parking/maint. question.

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dunjuz_van

Reaction score
Hello fellow campers,
I'm just right now gathering input about prepping the rv motor for an extended stay in the same spot.( 6 mo. to a yr.) Drain any fluids? I've disconnected the battery already.

Thanks in advance.

Happy & safe camping, everyone!

Will you be there living in it, or are we talking long term, unoccupied storage?

If it was me, I'd have the oil and filter changed before parking it.  The gas tank should be filled with fresh gas, with the proper amount of stabilizer in it, and then run enough so that the unstabilized gas in the fuel lines is all used up and replaced by the stabilized gas.

Depending on when it was last done, consider flushing the cooling system and refilling it with fresh anti-freeze.  Rubber hoses deteriorate over time just sitting there, so examine all your cooling system hoses and belts.  Perhaps they need changing as part of the cooling system service.

How many miles on the vehicle?  Automatic transmission?  How long since the tranny fluid was changed?

You might also think about having the old brake fluid flushed out and replaced with new brake fluid.  Brake fluid is hygroscopic, that is, it sucks water out of the air, and the water in the brake fluid can cause steel brake lines to rust.

You might also consider having the rear end fluid drained and replaced with fresh fluid.

The goal would be to have the rig ready to go as soon as you hook the batteries up and turn the key.

Oh, and find some way to protect the tires from uv rays, if possible.

As far as the onboard water system goes, if you won't be occupying the RV, it needs to be drained and winterized with RV anti-freeze.  It goes without saying that the gray and black water tanks should be drained, and I would not leave water in the drinking water tank that long, you WILL get algae growth. 

Regards
John

I have been told that gasoline is only good for about 6 or 9 months and diesel lasts longer... like a year. Although my diesel was pretty old (as in YEARS) and I only put 10 gallons fresh into a 1/8 tank of old fuel. It cranked up on the second try. So I do have to wonder about that. I have had dead gasoline that was a year old.

I have had no trouble using gasoline up to two years old by retreating with Stabil Marine Formula.  Good stuff.  Pri-G is said to be better.  After a bad hurricane season one year I keep several gallons of gas stored.

well if you notice on your maintenance schedule, it gives both mileage and time intervals. pay attention to both and you will be fine. like others have said a good gas treatment wouldn't hurt. this has more to do about the junk gas they push off on us nowadays. highdesertranger

If you're going to be living in it, your best bet will be to cover your tires to protect them from the sun. then start the rig up and run it for at least a half an hour every month or so. When you do that, pump your brakes, turn your lights and blinkers on and off several times, simply use everything a little bit so that you keep everything in working order.