Overnight Parking Florida Keys

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vgilbert

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
I just finished a trip to the Florida Keys and wanted to share some info on parking for those who really want to go but are afraid of having no place to overnight. I want to say that this was my first trip and the info I am sharing may or may not work for your trip.
Trip length: 5 overnights / 6 days. Started in Key Largo and went all the way to Key West, then back.

During the day I would park at State Parks, cost $4.50 to park from 8 am to sunset. There are several state parks in the Keys to choose from. Campsites in these parks are booked months in advance and the chances of getting one on short notice is slim to none. Should you get lucky... cost is $27-$37 per night with full hookups, showers, flush toilets, fire rings, etc.
Also, depending on your rig size (mine-26 ft Shuttle Bus Conversion) there are many roadside parks and pull offs along HWY 1 which is the main road thru the Keys.

FREE OVERNIGHT PARKING!!!: This worked for me with no issues and no late night visits from the police... I used Boat Ramps and parking areas for the fishing bridges along HWY 1. If you look at Google Earth and follow the HWY you will see these at the bridges. Both the boat ramps and the fishing bridges work great as there are vehicles coming and going 24 hrs.

NOTE ON THE CITY OF KEY WEST!!! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO STEALTH PARK OR BOONDOCK IN THE CITY OF KEY WEST!!! I spoke directly to a County Sherriff Deputy who advised me that doing so is actually a misdemeanor offense per City Ordinance. (being a retired First Responder I am just fine with chatting with Police and asking these questions)
Also in regards to Key West. You cannot park a Motor Home, Bus, or other large vehicle on City Property including City Streets and City owned parking lots. If you vehicle does not fit in a marked parking spot it will be towed in the blink of an eye. I Parked at the State Park on the south end of the city (old town) during the day and 30 miles north at a boat ramp overnight.
I also want to ad that I did not park in the same spot 2 nights in a row. I moved every night to a new spot.

Total parking cost over 5 days $22.50! 
Just wanted to share that it can be done without hassle.
God Luck
God Bless

Something I forgot to ad. I did had 1 issue.... There is a rule for the State Parks that you cannot run a generator. I have done so in Florida State parks many times prior but ran into an issue in Long Key State Park, (Long Key is in the Middle Florida Keys) with a Park Ranger who demanded that I turn it off...
I run a 2000 Watt quiet run inverter/generator. The Ranger did not hear it but did see it as he drove by (had it sitting outside running)
Solution: My rig has a rear compartment separate from the living space. I simply restarted the generator after the Ranger left and put it in the rear compartment. Out of sight, out of mind.... it ran the rest of the day and 2 days after at different State Parks without incident  :thumbsup:

I don't know what iOverlander is but as soon as you start advertising locations on the internet it ruins it for everyone. highdesertranger

Good idea to keep this thread a secret. Keys is on the bucket list, and now I know it can be done. So don't tell anyone else before I go there.  -crofter

No need to ad the locations anywhere... Google Earth is your best friend! All the info is in the initial post, just look at google earth along HWY 1
'

Sharing specific parking spaces publicly online is like your sharing your favorite fishing hole, and what bait you used...not so wise !

I’m surprised someone (another prospector) hasn’t put a tracker on HDR’s trailer yet! Lol!!! Bet you he goes and checks after reading this!

vgilbert said:
Hello Everyone,
I just finished a trip to the Florida Keys and wanted to share some info on parking for those who really want to go but are afraid of having no place to overnight. 
This was a very informative post and thanks for sharing!
Keys was so nice but you are right, there is NO where to park overnight except some of those boat ramps and side roads for the bridges.  I mean, there just isn't anywhere to hide LOL other than asking a privately owned biz IF you could stay in their parking area overnight and that would be the only other option.

It is wonderful you stayed for SO cheap LOL   We stayed up in Homestead FL and drove down for the day to Key West without the toyhauler for our Key West trip but it is fantastic to know you were not hassled at the boat ramps and more.

Getting a res. at any state parks is almost impossible....ask me how I know this HAHA

I loved your report, thrilled ya did so well on this trip and thanks for sharing a great journey here!  State parks are fab cause you do have that luxury of using them all day and enjoying just that but after, it is wonderful to know there is those boat ramp areas etc by the bridges one can sleep overnight easily.   This is the kind of info in a very crowded, not user friendly stealthy sleeping options that one likes to hear on how good you got thru your trip!  Thanks for posting!!

Thanks for the info. Have looked at going to the Florida Keys but have heard is very hard to fond a place to overnight.

I’ve been wanting a keys trip for a long time. A check of RV parks that you can actually find a space in can be $100 a night - not in my budget.

But there is a military campground for those of you who might be eligible and I believe it was around $15 a night. They rotate the campers from full hookups to dry camping every two weeks. I understand it’s pretty nice.

I think it’s Sigbee maybe?

It’s so hard on me to stay in a campground. I’m just too spoiled by having so much space in the desert or camping at my place in Kentucky and I really spread out my stuff.

As I’ve mentioned before, anyone coming thru KY this summer we should be there and there are plenty of spaces to spread out and relax for awhile.

It sure as hell ain’t the Florida Keys but there is a little water:

5ec639b4fb64932fc75184cdbd56cb69.jpg

There is a river also within a mile or so and I have kayaks available.

Yup water is a draw for me but truly 'the keys' hold something special some need to see ya know, I am a 'beachy coastal person' and the keys are the bomb :)

I booked next Christmas. Got Boyd's campground. You just can't get into a state park site there. I don't know....me thinks...???...rigged. I have gotten into many 'can't get into state parks' but the keys are truly something I sure as hell can't get into at all. And there aren't many sites truly but 'rigged a bit', again, me thinks so LOL

Boyd's was $170 a night. Mangrove waterfront site.

Hotels are starting around $400 and up per night so this trip is 'a christmas special' for us since kiddo is off to college in a few years here and I wanted this next Xmas to be all about warm and jet skis, and key west and seafood and beach and more, total opposite of life in NC in the darn cold LOL

kinda a send off trip. So $170 for 11 nights....$1870 vs $, hmm, $430 per night AND 2 hotel rooms cause older kiddo wants nothing now to do with us....$9,460 and if we forced her into our room or suite room? like $500 a night or so with 2 bedrooms? then near on $6,000----------------so I think we did ok truly HAHA I gotta think that LOL
Shit at some point ya can't take it with you and me being a very frugal person, to open the purse strings that much the family is thrilled I allowed it :) :)

You could always take a camp host job! I considered it once but changed my mind as I figured people paying that kind of money would demand a lot and I’m not the kind of person you can demand a lot from. I get a warped sense of pleasure getting to enjoy the fancy places without having to pay for them!

Sheesh. That’s even more than I thought it was!

yea I had a cow before I made the reservations and I got the last spot in the campground on the water

my normal is like $20 a night at a COE or maybe a bump into $35 at a nice state park

luckily we do stop overnight for no cost etc. so we do save alot doing things to make a trip like this doable, but not regular. In fact will be the first trip I ever spent this much on a site....will probably be the last time too LOL

yea GypsyJan, that is why I am doing it for kiddo kinda. Once college hits our family trips are over.

you know we chatted about our camping travels and we've done ALOT and heck if the kid barely remembers any of them......we are like remember when.....and hell she don't remember she was even there. We started her rv'ing since a baby. But these later trips she remembers so I want to have a big send off trip kinda for the family. Yea I am paying for it HAHA but like you said, well worth the memories.

Luckily we buy a christmas tree ornament from every one of our trips. Kid made that a tradition so she has a ton of wild and weirdo ornaments for the tree, all hers to take and we put them up and she is like....where did we buy this crab cage ornament? and we start to chat and she is like, oh yea I kinda remember that trip :)

Seems wild it will be over, the 3 of us. But I am so looking forward to me and hubby on the road in full freedom...FULL freedom to wander as we want. And the kid is taking her little darn doggie with her to college, that is for sure LOL No kid, no dog, just us...wow. Sad but excited on it all.

"I have my eye on Florida. Are metal detectors permitted?"

They may even be required, LOL...along with white socks with sandals and zinc cream on the nose.