Lizard Skin Insulation

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobBski

Reaction score
Anyone ever try lizard skin spray on insulation?  This video shows a griddle with half sprayed and half not.  They then put ice cubes on it.  The side sprayed doesn't melt ice, unsprayed side melts fast.  Watched some other videos on it as well.  Popular with race car builders to shield heat.

I had never heard of it, so I looked around a bit. The reviews on Amazon are few and low, and when they do like it, most of them seem to be refering to the noise reduction. One guy paid for two buckets and the contents were dried up. The price is high. It's a water-based latex. Most of the web links are from the source.

IMHO: When it sounds too good to be true, it usually is.

If you dig into the details on the web, the "ceramic micro balls" can be purchased cheap and mixed into latex paint to create an cost effective homemade product that people claim to be effective insulation.

I'm sure you would want to use paint that is for exterior use and won't absorbed moisture.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The only beef with Lizard Skin seems to be the cost, not it's effectiveness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Adding some tiny ceramic balloons to ordinary latex paint isn't going to create enough temperature insulation to make any kind of real difference.  The largest ceramic spheres for boatbuilding are 20 microns; it would take 1,270 of them, lined up, to make one inch.

Just because it's new, expensive, and the hot rod/boat people use it doesn't mean it's better than (or even equal to) foam board, hemp or rock wool.  The expense to build it up to even a quarter of an inch would be outlandish.