Living Vicariously

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Patrick46 said:
Here's a book I just got, about a family who have lived in their 1928 Graham-Paige motor-car, since 2000, WITH their 4 kids!!!

http://www.amazon.com/Spark-Your-Dr...d=1442935470&sr=1-1&keywords=spark+your+dream

http://www.criticalcactus.com/zapp-family-spark-your-dream/

...talk about your ADVENTURE!!!!!! :p

I always knew it CAN be done with a family.

Wow, that family is surely inspirational! And their kids' classroom is experiencing the world through their travels - much better than from lectures & books.

I've added the book to my to-read list.

Thanks for sharing!

Thumbs up for thatchickinpa !  :D

I'm sure you have realized that it isn't the same world today as the one you arrived in.   Gender roles are
quite different too.  To those who nay-say,  what are their qualifications to evaluate the choice you are
considering ?   For you, look at the many things you can pursue for your own personal development.

Things we as Women or Men cannot do so easily with a spouse & children.  We can do these things much
more easily with like minded circles of friends however. 

When you think about it,  there are national chains of Gym's that are open 24/7 these days.  You can
get cleaned up there after showing your membership card.  Other places where you can rest in comfortable
settings are Truck Stop Chains which have nice restaurants and showers (for a fee), Walmarts, and even YMCA's. If the temps are sub zero in the night. 

As for the first forays of traveling in a car,  you may want to spend a couple of nights a week in a budget motel.  Thus you can soak in a tub and sleep in a real bed and get close to 12 hours of real rest. 

Possibly the most interesting thing that may happen is the interesting types of people you'll meet.  When I was on the road in my Van I once stopped in a roadside rest area and met a couple of German Guys. They were
touring America on a BMW Motorcycle with a side car.   I was watching them make coffee as they had stopped to relax and offered to offer them insights to the region or history of the area that would be of interest to them.   It turned out that I knew of some things that was of great interest to them.  I gave them my name and address and was surprised at Christmas to receive a greeting card from them with a few photos in it.  They expressed their gratitude and explaining that the information I offered provided a high point of their tour of Ohio.

I would also suggest you keep a diary and take plenty of photos to upload to a photo host on the internet.
We tend to remember the big stuff,  but the small details fade quickly.  ;)

Tinman74 said:
Stevesway
It sounds like a class "B" van camper such as a RoadTrek/ Pleasureway, or one of the many  other class"B" campers would fit the bill for you both.
Most have bath room facilities including hot water, toilet and a shower + fridge, stove ,microwave etc. and are no bigger than a full size extended .

This is the what I am leaning in the direction of. Although to get one in any decent shape is very expensive...... at least to me. After taking some roadtrips and not having the facilitys of a B I can tell that I have to have something with what I was lacking on those trips. I don't think a van will cut it with me either. Very close, but I think it would still not provide what I need no matter how much I tweaked it. 
Well......I am going to keep searching and maybe someday I will find something that speaks to me. Meanwhile, I will do my extended roadtripping and mix up different things like what was mentioned here before, campgrounds, Wal-Mart, and the occasional cheap motel.

The bad news is that the class B's are expensive, but for a good reason.  They are built really well (marine grade plywood, etc).  They have all the comforts of home with standing room but usually do not have an oven.  Just no space to build one in. The little coleman camping oven on top of the stove allows baked goods although in a smaller quantity....  

The good news is class B's are expensive.  They hold resale really well and will be easily sold when no longer needed.

Brian