Living Out of a Shipping Cart

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debit.servus

Reaction score
You don't have to be homeless to use this vehicle. You can live out of a shopping cart cheaper than a bicycle or shoes! When the cart stops rolling find another one, and transfer your bags!

This is the cheapest, most hassle free way to live if you do it right and you can feel just as free as a trucker, bikepacker or RV dweller. Flush that expensive vehicle and trade it in for a shopping cart as the pros far outweigh the cons!

Yeah, you can maybe use solar power for the drive system of this 'vehicle'...

Many carts now have a brake that stops one wheel when the cart goes beyond the store's parking lot. They are easy to recognize and avoid.

Which brand do you think is most reliable and easiest to repair?
Plus I'm a little bit shaky on "gap insurance" is that a good investment for a new cart?

Shopping carts are not real stealthy........just sayin'

For some time now Schools of Design world wide have been making a project of very simple housing for the
homeless.   They have started the concepts from scratch and from "repurposing" a common form (item, such as a shopping cart) to build out.  Much like we build out empty Cargo Vans.   Of course there are those who delight in putting any such efforts down.  Often making up names like,  "Bum Boxes" for these efforts.

There are many designs but since this addresses Shopping Carts here is one worthy of mention.

kevin02.jpg

When taken from the drawing board into form:

Front

13_camperkart01.jpg

Back

13_camperkart03.jpg

Worthy of mention:

copy_0_kciconthumb.jpg

You can see that these are mostly scaled down forms others tow with cars.  Pop Up Tent Campers, and Ham Cans. 

Understand these are being created by young students who quite likely have never been homeless and on the street,  let alone being a Van Dwelling Nomad.   Perhaps never having been in Boy Scouts to spend a night out under the stars.   But these are academic assignments.

As far as I'm concerned,  these don't offer much protection from high winds or storms.  They would probably blow away like tumble weeds in those conditions if they weren't taken to naturally sheltered areas.   Extreme cold wouldn't fare well for the occupant either.  Then there is the question of how the homeless would afford them,  when they can find deserted buildings, subway tunnels, sleep in cars on used car lots late at night etc.

So the photo Debit posted will likely be the way the homeless continue to live.  Anyone who could build such vehicles as above should be able to escape being homeless and get back on their feet and go on with their lives.

27a4940575.jpg

https://bashny.net/uploads/images/00/00/35/2013/05/12/27a4940575.jpg

Trebor English said:
Many carts now have a brake that stops one wheel when the cart goes beyond the store's parking lot. They are easy to recognize and avoid.
The walmart in Douglas AZ is right next to the border crossing into Aqua Prieta Mexico. Last time we were there the corner of the parking lot was a collection of carts that would go no further. Had they no brakes you can bet they'd be at the border crossing or maybe even in Mexico.
Used to be folks would use their own rolling carts for errands (the aluminum ones with two wheels that fold up flat when not in use).

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

WOW, that tent on shopping cart deal is nothing short of a deathtrap.. no real stability. ..Willy.

mnpaul said:
Which brand do you think is most reliable and easiest to repair?
Plus I'm a little bit shaky on "gap insurance" is that a good investment for a new cart?

If you're not being sarcastic, You don't need to repair the shopping cart. When the cart stops rolling find another one, and transfer your bags. So the vehicle costs $0.00. 

I don't ever plan to live out of a shopping cart. Next to being a company driver living out of a semi-tractor (which saves you tens of thousands of dollars a year in the form of a salary), living out of a shopping cart is the cheapest "RV living" at $0.00 and no DL needed.

eDJ_ said:
I see dwellings like these all the time in SF.  Not a bad way to do it if you have the skills to build it.  
Sure beats lying in a filthy sleeping bag on the urine-soaked street.  :s

I don't know if the exteriors are as nice as the one pictured, but they use the same wheels and built a fairly sturdy looking box, complete with windows, for shelter.  

27a4940575.jpg

Yes, it does represent the fact that some people are thinking about the plight of these people.  Others simply scoff and call such efforts as "Bum Boxes".  Whatever. 

Yes, I agree that the shopping cart as pictured needs something like 2X4's 6' in length as outriggers lashed to the  lower part of the cart with perhaps a couple of bricks under the ends to add some stability. 

But the alternatives have already been mentioned.

All of us who are fit and able bodied may take a lot for granted.   What I see with so many of the homeless is a mental outlook dysfunction.   If you don't have your mind you don't have anything.  Those who do have their mind and find themselves without a home will find ways for providing themselves with shelter and mobility.  (as we talk about here)  Remember some will see anyone living out of a Van on a Walmart Parking Lot as just a step above these homeless folks. 

But these so called "Bum Boxes" are only a first step in trying to provide shelter from the elements and a bit of safety.   Not all homeless will even relate to such devices and may want to live more minimal. (ie dirty sleeping bag on urine soaked streets). 

I've actually read one proposal where Rail Road freight cars would be fixed up as bunk houses.  There would be a certain hour the homeless could show up and claim a "cell" and be towed to the outskirts of the town where Churches would sponsor a "Mission" in an old building there with food, showers, and changes of clothing. (for those willing to abide it)  One of the suggestions was to allow students of Barber Colleges to come there and have these homeless to practice with giving them free hair cuts. 

Some scoff at encouraging the homeless in this way,  but there are going to be homeless just the same and they may provide some opportunities for beginners in the human services too.