living in a Pontiac Vibe (Toyota matrix)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been looking and looking for a trailer, but to be honest, I have no tow vehicle, save a Pontiac Vibe, and not thinking that's a very good tow vehicle, also after many years experience driving, I have gotten to where i have some anxiety driving, at times, not all the time, I have done Ka stInt going up to where I am now, from Red Bluff, CA to Bellevue, WA with my dog, and from Bellevue back to Red Bluff, to put some of my stuff in storage, as I just divorced and had my ex keep some stuff for a few months, until I could get down there and store it...Boy, still more stuff, but most of it is kids, so they can figure it out, I have one or 2 more things he'll hang on to them, he doesn't do anything with his stuff anyway, so not worried about that, we amicably divorced, just had different points of view on just about everything, and it wasn't working, so decided it was done, we sold an old, crappy money pit house that needed more work than we could afford, and split the proceeds,so I have a very small nest egg, don't want to use it up, and am very frugal, got lucky and am working for a company paying me while I don't work, it has been a bit disconcerting, I have worked hard all my life, lost retirements, and got paid very poorly, so this has been an amazing time for me, and im afraid to blow it, however i've been working in kitchens over 25 years, mostly healthcare, and this time im in a cafe for a Corporate, Microsoft, the contractor I work for is all over the U.S. and Canada, and the UK, my only problem is while we've been out of work, I have to keep in touch,  via computer, and their system is a pain to access, as well, Im losing memory, and passwords are a "B" for me, also figuring out how to use a pdf, and to save it, etc...its been a bit of a mess as I can sometimes do it, and other times it just stresses me out...So, Im trying to see if I could work for them in Las Vegas in Winter, and in Bellevue in the summer, that would be perfect for me, and I could travel in my car , Im thinking of just using my car, as when you put down the front seat and back seat it has quite a lot of room, just wanted to see if anyone else has done this and how it could work.

I just use my RAV4, augmented by 2 tents of different sizes, so I have options. If stopping for just one night, I just sleep on a cot in the cargo area (seats folded down into floor). If staying at a campsite for a night or 2, I use the 2-person dome tent as a storage room for a folding table, camp chair & bins of kitchen stuff. If staying at a campsite for several nights, I have an SUV tent that can also stand alone and I set it up as a small cabin, with a lounging area, kitchentte, and table for dining and computer work.

Remember, we live out of our vehicles, not in them.

I also have a Rav4.... which SUV tent do you have, GypsyJan?

Right Line Gear SUV tent. It is a stand-alone for when I choose to use it as cabin tent.