Living in a car

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagickWizard

Reaction score
I have been homeless long ago for a decade. I spent a lot of time living in a car, when I had one. I also drove Uber, which takes a LOT of hours to make anything. So I slept a lot in the car. 

I am 63. I think I can live in my compact car. It is comfortable enough and I only need to be in it for shelter. I can go for hikes and other stuff out of the car.

I want all advice. Is anyone in this situation now? 

I will have $1480 a month social security and military disability. I will be maintaining my apt in San Diego as I am on a veterans program and in a lease until May. I have already removed my part of the rent from the above income figure.

Pack your car and go for a trip for a week.
Try to live out of your car. No hotels, no motels.
See if you are going to like it, and figure what else you will need.

Thanks. You reminded me of a few years ago when Uber flooded our market with cars. WAY too many cars. I lost my motel room I lived in and had to live in the car while driving uber for six months. It was not real bad. I had a gym membership so I could stay clean. You're right. I will do a week in my current car and see how it goes.

Most important aspect is can you get a good nights sleep and can you stay warm or cool enough to do so. Many have used a Toyota Prius as it has the capability to maintain a set temperature automatically. It also has the potential to power an inverter which makes electrical appliances easy. You can even run an extension cord to power a tent if extra space is required. Depending on the outside temperatures this can be your most difficult problem, getting a good nights sleep. A good sleeping bag can get you through the cold but heat is another matter. The right vehicle will make a big difference as well as the part of the country you plan to be in.

Welcome MagickWizard to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips, Tricks and Rules" post lists some helpful information to get you started.

Most of our rules boil down to two simple over-riding principles: 1) What you post should provide good information (like your introductory post), and 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

We look forward to hearing more from you.

highdesertranger

Follow the climate...find warm places for winter and cool places for summer.

Having a tent to stash things in makes the car roomier for sleeping; even if just a small decoy tent for campgrounds that don't want you sleeping in your car.

There is a section on the forums called “choose the right vehicle” and there are forums for various vehicles one of which is cars. You can find more in depth information there. Sounds like you’ve done it and it worked for you. I’m shopping for a Class B (Roadtrek would be my dream) small RV class C or van because the car for me wasn’t enough. But many people are happy in their cars.

Suzanne who works with Bob lives in her Prius happily and by choice.

I am 63. I think I can live in my compact car. It is comfortable enough and I only need to be in it for shelter. I can go for hikes and other stuff out of the car.

I can guarantee you one thing if your car is your home, you  are not living, you are existing,  day to  day. Keep your apartment, after the first couple of days is over and the novelty of living in your car has past, that apartment will look like a palace.

bagabum said:
I can guarantee you one thing if your car is your home, you  are not living, you are existing,  day to  day. Keep your apartment, after the first couple of days is over and the novelty of living in your car has past, that apartment will look like a palace.

Sometimes a stick and brick can feel like a ball and chain. I doubt that a car or van (as living quarters) has been compared to that. It's all about perspective.

You don't have to limit yourself to a small car. Unless you have a lot of debts, your income should enable you to buy something a little roomier. Many minivans give decent MPG and also have enough room for a bed placed behind the driver's seat.

I'm retired and for the past few years I've spent 4-6 mos. of the year travelling in a mid-high top van. It's fairly comfortable but I would like something I can fully stand up in. I'm lucky to have friends that I rent a small house from in wintertime. It is nice to have someplace where I can take a break from the road.

If it wasn't for COVID this year, I would have regularly stayed in AirBnB rooms for a week or so as I searched for temp driving jobs.