living in a car in a small city

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dardrian

Reaction score
I have been a member of the site for years, but been away for a while so I thought I would do another introductory post.

I am 26, I live in south Georgia.

I am thinking about moving into my car, a 1997 Ford Thunderbird. I'd love a van but I can't afford one right now. I almost have a part time job (interview next week) so I would most likely have to stealth park in the city. I am very worried about being spotted, but I don't want to waste gas driving out to the country and back every day. I just don't know what to do, really.

If possible, the first step I would take, (seeing that you're in Georgia) is to get the windows tinted (if you have the $).

Does the state have any laws that would restrict having the windows deeply tinted?

I had a buddy at one time, had a 90's T-bird & he was was able to remove his back seat (although it was for subwoofers).

He was able to sleep partially in the trunk space when his back seatrest was removed (he did it for out-of-state audio sound-off competitions).

Hang in there! We're all pullin' for ya! Cool car, btw!

I am having a lot of trouble trying to remove the back seat. The bolts are stuck and it is very frustrating. I do like the idea of tinting the windows as dark as is legally allowed.

Hi there!
Just a thought: don't know if you need the seat but maybe you can take the car to a junkyard, sell it to them and let them remove it. Or just let them have it if they remove it.
Tinting the front windows may be illegal, but you can tint all other windows and use the trunk to partially sleep in. You can also put a jacket or something across the front seats for more privacy.

Liquid wrench usually works fairly well for loosening stuck bolts. If that doesn't work you could cut the bolts with an angle grinder or a Dremel tool with a cutting wheel. That's assuming, of course, that you're planning to permanently remove the rear seat.

Being in a small town, it's going to be a challenge to stealth park. Everyone knows everyone's business. Not impossible. What are the laws and police opinion of living in a vehicle? Friend's driveway maybe to park in?

I said small city, not small town. Approximately 28,000 people. It also has a large college so no, not everyone knows everyone. <b> I </b> certainly don't know any of them.

I don't have any friends who live in town so that is not an option either.

I want to completely remove the back seat, yes.

This is a terrible idea and I am completely changing my mind again.

Thank you for linking to that blog. I had read it before, years ago, but it is good for encouragement that this is actually doable.

Dardrian said:
This is a terrible idea and I am completely changing my mind again.

Actually, I think that you have a brilliant idea, deciding to dwell in a car!

I mean, seriously, I personally think that living in a house/apartment/condo totally blows chunks, man!!!

By vehicle dwelling, you can "beat the system" by being what I call "Feral"... meaning, you can live free & not be under the thumb of most sheeple!

I've stealth camped numerous times on private properties/occupied territories while on my little bicycle tour this past summer & I'll tell you, I've NEVER been caught or rousted!

Keep your chin up! With a little thought + careful planning with good judgement, the sky's the limit!
Be a rebel!!!