Living in a car at the beach?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bet if you look down you will see it !!! Ha! Ha! Good one ITNjohn, but it is early in the morning. God bless murahka.

Oh, guess this is some sort of slang for america. Same number of letters so why not spell it correctly?

B and C said:
Where is this?  All I can find reference to is people.

I did spel it korrektly. Uv jez never attended my spelling klass & hense have deprived urself of lurning a nu alfabit.

Johny Luzsha

Hi Numpty,
Have you tried up Newcastle way, beautiful places to stay.

Gypsy Freedom said:
salty air is good for my soul. i would rather rust away a car at the beach than rust away from road salt in the snow country

millions of people live near beaches and cars from those areas have less issue with rust then the aptly named rust belt.

sure if you want your car to never rust you could live in the aird desert south west. but i value my serenity far more than the finsih on my car. i am just not materialistic enough
Amen to that!!

There is a place in South Texas where one can somewhat live on the beach. Better put, an area where your not likely to be run off by any authority, but because of it's remoteness, you could be hassled by some unsavory characters. I've never been bothered as a lot of folks go out there for the seclusion minding their own business. It's between High Island and Sabine Pass, Texas, where Highway 87 used to run but has been washed out over the years. It's okay most of the way for 2-wheel-drive, but a pickup or 4x4 will get you farther away from everyone but the most reclused. I've spent a lot of time out there as it's my getaway spot to preserve my sanity. No, it's not a beautiful beach, but it's clean, secluded, and quiet. Galveston to the ferry and across to Point Bolivar, drive until you meet SH 124 going North at High Island, but keep going straight and you're there. Another route is IH10 to Winnie, Texas, and South down SH 124 to High Island and go left. One can go from Sabine Pass West, but a 4x4 is highly recommended. I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee with the bullet-proof 4.0 six & Select-Trak four-wheel-drive, so nothing stops me. It has a house battery, solar on the luggage rack, and all the comforts I need for several days. Google Maps, Texas Gulf Coast, zoom in to Galveston to Sabine Pass, zoom in until you're between High Island and Sabine Pass, go to satellite view, and check it out.

@Qxxx

Yeah, folks know about the area, but it's not a family beach, rough going on, and along the beach, so everybody goes West towards Galveston. There are miles and miles of beautiful beach along the way. You've got about a mile or so of shell road, it changes, haven't been down there since April, I hang around the marina's in Kemeaand Clear Lake during the summer so I can sail, and after that there is tracks and trails you follow all the way up the coast towards Sabine Pass. It's a pretty beach, somewhat, it's not kept up would be the best way to describe it. Now on the Sabine Pass end, there is a State Park where 87 runs into the Gulf, and South of that, and a little to the west is a nudist beach of sorts, so if that kind of thing offends, then stay away from that area. Between there and High Island is the remains of an old ARCO offshore communications and supply base. Nothing there now but the imprints on the ground and what's left of the channel. Oddly enough, I worked out of that base many moons ago, taking care of the compressors on the platforms it supplied. If they didn't have a bunkhouse on the platform, they flew you back and forth; that's how I know what those imprints on the ground mean, and probably one of very few still alive that do. It's a quiet place, kind of spooky to me because I can see the ghost of the past, know what I mean?  This is my spot, it's hard to get to, me and my little Jeep like it there, and I carry everything I need for as many days as I can stay. If one has a big van pickup truck, you can get there. It's really nice at night, dark; you can see into space with the twinkling lights form the offshore platforms reflecting on the water on your Southern horizon.

A couple more zooming in.

Attachments

• txbeach_01.jpg
    txbeach_01.jpg
    347.2 KB · Views: 17
  • txbeach_05.jpg
    txbeach_05.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 15
  • txbeach_02.jpg
    txbeach_02.jpg
    436.7 KB · Views: 13
  • txbeach_03.jpg
    txbeach_03.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 14
We once had a tire blow-out passing a beach near Sault Ste. Marie, Ontario and pulled in to evaluate damages. Couldn't get a tire in for 3 weeks, so we just set up camp on the beach and enjoyed our three-weeks of being stranded on what felt like "Gilligan's Island". BTW, we we're living in our old Saturn 3-door car. We haven't been approached by an officer, but I'm sure if we were we wouldn't have been allowed to park there. I would check first before parking at beaches, just like for Wal-Marts we always call ahead before setting camp (most Wal-Marts in Ontario are anti-campers, even if just shopping).

Funny I found this thread tonight. Freecampsites.net Type in Houston. I was looking for warm winter camping other than Arizona. Looks like I found a bunch of it. Read the reviews.

"salty air is good for my soul. i would rather rust away a car at the beach than rust away from road salt in the snow country"

I still don't know how to do the quote thing right but when one of you said this I said AMEN.

It'd be awesome, but I don't think I'd feel safe, honestly. But it would be a great experience, though.

Trying to live in a vehicle near a beach or fishing pier in any Pacific Coast area in California, Oregon or Washington state will be noticed in the current Covid-19 situation. The public fishing piers are all closed to reduce social contact.

Beach news from the Texas Gulf coast. All beaches in Galveston and on Galveston Island are now closed.

The Texas City Dike, which has about three miles of nice beach, is now closed on Saturdays and Sundays. Still open M-F, though.

On the other side of the Ship Channel, the beaches on Bolivar peninsula are still open as of today.

Johnny

Living in an RV or van near the beaches but not directly on a beach is possible in Seattle. But you have to watch out for the signs that say no parking between 2am to 5am.

Normally there is a 72 hour time limit in any one spot but that has been temporarily suspended while the Stay-at-home order is in place. It is not illegal to sleep in your vehicle in the city of Seattle. But you do have to obey other parking ordinances.

However with as many cases of Covid 19 as there are in every neighborhood in Seattle you will be better off elsewhere in terms of having a lower risk of exposure.

In Seattle at pesent the law officers are constantly checking in with people living in tents and in their cars to encourage them to move into sticks and bricks.

With fewer cars in the places you might normally think of staying there is a much higher frequency of patrols in the industrial and business areas so you will be noticed. People are home, they notice who is parked where when they go outside on walks around their residential blocks. The patrol cars record who is parked where in the business and industrial areas because there has been an increase in break-ins. Businesses and business associations are hiring additional private security patrols who are also recording car license plates by GPS location. Under these circumstances there is no such thing as being stealthy without getting noticed trying to do it. Less traffic around makes you much more visible.

With all the bars shut down, restaurants closed, music venues closed, stores closing early, no movies open, very little traffic on the streets at night that means the police are not nearly as occupied in the evenings. So the result is more frequent trips around the neighborhooda on drive by patrolling. If they see someone inside a car at night they might think it is someone doing a car prowl so getting the knock in the night is likely to be on the increase. Just be polite, co-operative and non-confrontational if it happens.

Latest posts