Lived Out of a F150 Lariat No Cap or Camper

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Carla618 said:
So the plywood and insulation sheet are for your (sleeping) bed only? Or do they cover the whole truck bed?

For my bed only.  To clarify, I use this setup in my converted cargo trailer, but it will work the same in a truck bed.  When I travel I cover the bed with a big piece of cardboard or something and stack things on it.

wanderin.pat said:
For my bed only.  To clarify, I use this setup in my converted cargo trailer, but it will work the same in a truck bed.  When I travel I cover the bed with a big piece of cardboard or something and stack things on it.

Gotcha! Thanks so much.

Carla618 said:
I had a lot of issues with dust. It infiltrated the bed of the truck and a little bit in the cab probably from leaving the windows down every once in a while. It's also hard to keep yourself clean for any decent amount of time. I would wash my hands and arms and within a few hours they would pick up dirt that was blowing around.

The only thing I could do was live with it as much as possible and cover stuff up that needed to stay clean like food and clothes etc. I used 2 55 gallon container one as I said as a platform for the bed and the other I put in the bed of the truck. With clothes, food, and cookware I put those in small plastic boxes and then in the 55 gallon containers making them double sealed against the dust and dirt. Boxes also organized the stuff in the 55 gallon containers rather then just throwing stuff in them helter skelter. 

You'll find ways to organize everything around what's most important to you. Even though I was ultra prepared for living out of a truck I still tweaked a couple of things. Living like that gives you oodles of time to think about things around what can make it easier for you.
Thanks for the help, vanman

Yeah, I have no back seat. It's a regular cab. But I just found a topper and the guy is holding it until I get there Thursday. Only $150:)

Those are all good reasons for not getting a topper. I wish I could hop into the driver's seat in just a few seconds. Oh well... maybe I'll bring my dog. But she is old, too! I might take her on some trial runs to find out how she adjusts to life in a truck and topper.

Bob said dust can be an issue in the desert. Whelp, I'm about to find out!

Carla618 said:
Sorry for hijacking your thread, vanman!

No problem. It's good that you're getting some ideas. Bring the insuletion strips with you when you pick up the topper. Toppers can be heavy and it would be so much easier if they could put the strips down before loading the topper onto the bed of the truck.