Live TV on your tablet

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

broken ed

Reaction score
HDHomeRun - I ran accost this in Best Buy the other day, but according to their website it's also available at Amazon and Walmart among others.

I found it interesting and so I email their support. I got the answer I suspected fast, in less then a day. In short, it will work over a network whether you have Internet access or not.

HDHomeRun or https://www.silicondust.com/

So what does it do? It is a TV turner - receiver and routs live TV to your network devices over, either Ethernet or WiFi. So yes, watch live TV on iPad, smart phone, PC, ect. You must be able to receive TV reception.

So why would you want one? Well, you might not, but if you don't want to own a TV this is an alternative. Or if you and a partner want to watch live TV on two different channels, or if you have a TV and you want to watch TV outside your van on your tablet. I want to be clear, I havn't used this, but their response is below. Also it doesn't work with some devices such as Roku.

Here's tech support response:
"The HDHomeRun is designed to be used like your other home devices. It's connected to your internal network, but connects out in order for guide listings to work. It can be used on a completely private network without internet access, but you would not get guide listings inside the HDHomeRun app or use the HDHomeRun DVR (most third-party DVRs would still work)."

So it is a tuner that receives broadcast tv over the air. I'd skip any access to their tvguide. Those are just trackers imo. Thanks for sharing.

I have a HDHomeRun. THe model I have is a dual-input digital tuner that will receive OTA or unencrypted cable channels, and will send those streams across your network to a viewer or to a multimedia backend like MythTV or Kodi. Even old models are still getting firmware updates.

The guide is not a tracker; it is an electronic schedule a dvr uses to tune the HDHR to different channels when shows air (that meet a given criteria). [It'd be] more useful who are parked in one spot. The traditional provider is Schedules Direct, $20/yr last time I subscribed.

The other way to get schedules is use the broadcast data (EIT), which is the schedule your TV can see without any kind of service. Not nearly as robust as Schedules Direct, but free and perhaps more useful for nomads. In this configuration you may want to dedicate a tuner to pulling down the EIT data.

Coincidentally, I just pulled out my HDHR last week. I am setting it up at work with a laptop since I don't have cable or reception out here in the boonies.

[fixed weird typo]

I have an older USB TV-tuner from Hauppauge that I use on my laptop. It's nice for getting local news and weather.

NoMadYesHappy said:
Why would I want TV when there's so much good stuff on Bob's YouTube channel?  LOL!  :D

An intelligent backend like MythTV can record shows based on keyword searches:  "nomad", "van", "Bob Wells", "off grid", "tiny house", whatever.  Also can skip reruns, re-record shows that get damaged or cut off by "breaking news", etc.  Or record your favorite actors.  

If you want, it can also use free space to record recommended shows based on your past recordings. 

Basically it can cherry pick what you want to see and show it to you when you want to see it.

Latest posts