Little things

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GypsyJan

Reaction score
Sometimes small or simple things can make a big difference. As a solo minivan dweller, I have found a few items that solved a problem or two. From the dollar store, I have a back scratcher (wooden, long handle, small fist of fingers) which has saved the day a few times when used for its intended purpose, but has also come it handy retrieving items I could not otherwise have easily reached (croc shoes, grocery bag with handles, small pillow, etc.) In addition, it slips through the openings on the steering wheel and with the palm turned upward, it holds my laptop in place for me to use in the driver's seat (relax, car is in Park!)

The flip-down visors had no extension and let the sun thru, so again a dollar store item helped. I got a CD visor storage sleeve. It has elasticized bands to hold it on the visor, but I can slip one end several inches off the visor and it blocks that gap that lets the light thru. It is especially helpful when the visor is swung over the side window.

I have a hard plastic console addition that covers the gap between the passenger seat and the console. It keeps things from falling into the abyss and also provides extra cup holders. In the middle holder, I have a square metal magnetic clip which I place with the magnet inside the cup holder and it holds my nail clippers and tweezers, for use at stop signs or red lights, of course. :rolleyes:

Does any one else have a small hack that made a big difference?

Hey Gypsyjan,

Like your magnetic tweezer holder -- good one!

I used a custom-crafted flat Home Depot cardboard moving box to make a barrier that fits between the passenger seat and the passenger door to keep things from falling off the passenger seat into that gap. It extends from the dashboard to the floor and to the seatback, with a precision-cut contour on the front end in the shape of the curve of the dashboard. Mr. Earhart's 8th grade shop template lesson finally pays off -- Thanks, Mr.Earhart :)

Anyway, keep up the good work and keep on engineerin' !

Great idea about the cardboard partition blocking the gap. I will try that. It would probably also work as privacy blind over passenger window when parked for the night if I put something of the right height under it as a booster. Thanks!

I also use a hand held fan (the type found at church and funerals) to block bright blinding lights in my driver side mirror (from cars passing me). I can still keep my left hand on the wheel and flip the fan so it blocks that death ray beam.

I don't know if this is in the spirit of the thread, but for me, a decent meal can make an off day a better day. Try to find meals you can afford but really enjoy. I don't do this everyday because of budget restraints, but if it's a meal I enjoy, I can look forward to it a day or two in advance.

I do have a little thing(s) that helps keep small things sorted out but accessible too. Easy to do, low in cost storage solution for corralling things like computer cords, USB drives, toiletries, receipts, spare batteries, sewing kit, medicine, etc.

These two items work in combination with each other
(1) a zip lock bag, use a paper punch to put a hole through the upper edge just above and at one end of the zip track
(2) a binder clip (or small carbiner) by squeezing together the silver wires on the binder clip you can remove it and then thread it through the punched hole in the zip lock bag. Then put the wire back into place in the clip.

Now you have a handy way to corral small items and a way to hang them up. The binder clip will clamp onto the edge of many objects. How thick of an object depends on the size of the binder clip, they come in mini sizes all the way through extra large sizes.
Here is a photo of a binder clip https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/561339/Office-Depot-Brand-Binder-Clips-Medium/#

You can also put the other leg of a binder clip over a cup hook that you have screwed into your walls or cabinets and hang it up that way.

Thanks, Wabbit, I agree that anticipation of a favorite meal makes one's day brighter. On a cold or rainy day, I grab chili from Wendy's drive thru and serve it over rice for a cheap but comforting dinner.

Yes, Maki, those binder clips are super handy, as are the zip lock baggies. I use the baggies with a slider zip as these are easier for me to open and close. I clip them to a curtain panel lengthwise and slip one of the silver handles into the seam of the car's headliner...makes it easy to put up the curtains at night and take them down in the morning. A binder clip can also be used to keep the toothpaste tube end rolled up after each use.  I also use them to close chips and cereal packages.

Hardware stores sell "tool rolls," consisting of a series of thin vertical pouches used by carpenters to store chisels, screwdrivers, etc. 

I hang the tool roll inside the back door of my truck camper, adjacent to the galley. I use it to gain quick access to silverware, tongs, a spatula, small flashlight, leatherman tool, etc. It is suspended from a skirt hanger which has convenient alligator clips.

When packing up to leave a campsite, it just takes a moment to remove the tool roll, roll it up, and store it securely behind a seat.

That tool roll is a great idea!

One of my favorite small things are those large, clear, heavy duty suction cup hooks you can buy inexpensively for Christmas wreaths or, less inexpensively, at Camping World.

They stick like glue to any flat surface, including the outside of your vehicle, are great for hanging anything and especially for drying towels.

Good ideas!

I hadn't thought of any of these things and I will install them today in my spare time.

Great topic, GypsyJan!

Johnny

Not neccesarily a car/camping hack, but my EDC (every day carry) items for my pocket are happy.

I found that a 2 place COHIBA leather travel cigar case will hold my tactical pen (window breaker), also my swiss army knife, and my bushnell mini flashlight. All of these items are easily accessible from inside my left jeans pocket, with one hand when needed.

Without an assortment of s-hooks and a clipboard, my life would be significantly more difficult.

I appreciate the suction cup idea upthread I am going to incorporate that one.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

I like the tool roll idea also. I have been using empty toilet paper tubes to store cords and such in. It has always been a pain to figure out what tube what I needed was in. Now I can put them all in the little pouches in the tool roll with the ends sticking out. I can add my thumb drives in there too. Thanks VanForNow! Great hack!

This holds my purse and other things I need handy on the driver's door. The 1 gallon size on the description is wrong - this sorter hangs on the side of a one gallon barrel but it's pretty small, 9" long and 3" deep.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/90204620/

I use magnetic everything, since my bus is a metal can. My blackout curtains have magnets sewn into the top and that's how I put them up.