Litter on Public Lands Facebook group

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LookinUp

Reaction score
I just started a Facebook group called Boondockers and Campers for Cleaner Public Lands. Please feel free to check it out.

"why won't anyone go on facebook?"

hahahahaha really? do I need to explain this again? they are A-holes. they got into my computer years ago. went on once and they got all my E-mail contacts and sent them E-mails announcing I was now a member. which I was not. and the only way they could get all my E-mail contacts was to get into my computer without my permission. never again.

highdesertranger

debi56 said:
why won't anyone go on facebook?

Many reasons.

Mine -

1) privacy
2) I'm a fairly linear person who likes reasonably meaty discussions, and FB discussions drive me batty 
3) the part FB plays in disseminating bad information and spreading rumors

LookinUp said:
I just started a Facebook group called Boondockers and Campers for Cleaner Public Lands. Please feel free to check it out.

Hello LookinUp,  what do you think... 2) Any response to someone else's post should make them feel glad they are part of this forum community.

Buy some gloves and some grabbers and get started. Wherever you go tell the people nearby what you’re doing and I guarantee it will spread. I think many nomads (notice I didn’t say “all”) have a deep respect and appreciation for nature and just didn’t think of it. Be the change you want to see. LOL We did it at local parks without spreading any word. Good luck!!! ?

I am on Facebook to keep track of some relatives and friends who I can only see there.

But that’s all I do I hesitate to get too deep in it for multiple reasons,here are three.

1- I literally hate receiving stuff from someone who has no originality and just passes on everything that comes their way. Yeah you pass along something that you got that is meaningful but not every single one.

2- Facebook is unAmerican in at least one way they don’t believe in freedom of speech. Oh yes they practice freedom of speech for one side of the political spectrum but sensor in the other. This Makes me furious. Whether I agree or not I have the right to hear and read you and whether you agree or not I have the right to say what I want.

3- I was taught to type in high school on an old manual typewriter. The keyboard is the same except for needed additions. But what the heck is this using the return key to post instead of skipping a line. Seems minor to young people.  But if you’ve spent the amount of time On the keyboard in all these years, As I have that is one modern update that makes no sense at all.

Now back to the original subject of the thread. I tried to say something like this several months ago here. we nomads need to police Our ranks. We ought to keep track of those who frequently violate the leave no trace rule and share that with others.  Perhaps we can shame them into compliance. And as far as cleaning up their messes that’s something I’ve done for years. I taught my children to do the same and remember some of the things others left behind Required some explaining to the young ones. They and I continue to do the same today although with my physical limitations I don’t do as much as I want to.

So, whatever happened to the group Boondockers United? I believe their main objective was to do exactly this. Not sure if it’s active? I have no reason to believe it’s not. I’d check this out first... no sense duplicating too much.

I just reached out to Kathy at Boondockers United. She’s been battling health issues but is looking to get back at it! I hesitated to join not knowing the status there. I will also check out this effort. I’m just starting my nomadic life, but being a back country traveler in my spare time which I created plenty of time for, I found it necessary to bring bags just to help clean up after others who apparently think there are people paid to run around doing such a thing. So it’ll give me something to do and will be fun to meet others in doing so. Just thought I’d give an update so anyone else confused whether the BU effort still existed, there ya have it!

Most garbage I see around are wrappings from fast food joints, or drink containers like cans or bottles.. I pick them up and throw them in the nearest garbage can or recycle bin. Which is sad as most of this garbage can be recycled, these companies should be held liable for this garbage along with the health problems they are causing those that eat and drink the garbage that is inside the garbage. The way to fix this is to stop eating garbage wrapped in garbage, from garbage chains, not starting another face book page so you can be profiled then sent a bunch of garbage on garbage related advertising.

In the US, it's usually bags of garbage they're too lazy to take home, broken glass everywheres, empty beer bottles and cans, and spent cartridges left over from blasting beer bottles (the favorite target).

nature lover said:
This Makes me furious. Whether I agree or not I have the right to hear and read you and whether you agree or not I have the right to say what I want.
Freedom of speech does not mean you can say what you want, there are laws against that in America like playjerizing, fraud, hate speech, saying things about others that are false is subject to liability. I look forward to the day In America when people can’t tell everybody else about their gods.  Not to say you can’t have freedom of religion that is your problem, you just can’t pass it on publicly or indoctrinate your children it is a bit like not being allowed to smoke cigarettes in a car with your children locked in.No one is stoping you from smoking we are just stopping you from harming others.

highdesertranger said:
"why won't anyone go on facebook?"

hahahahaha  really?  do I need to explain this again?  they are A-holes.  they got into my computer years ago.  went on once and they got all my E-mail contacts and sent them E-mails announcing I was now a member.  which I was not.  and the only way they could get all my E-mail contacts was to get into my computer without my permission.  never again.

highdesertranger
that was probably the Russians HDR ;)  i support the idea of the group but i'm not boondocking yet, and we are working on a goal of hitting as many state parks in the next 7 years as we can and they are usually pretty tidy. i would like to "like" the group but i saw no way to do that? (i did see where a fellow was doing excellent work cleaning up the Gila river in AZ, and it made me long for the pristine areas of the Gila Wilderness in NM that we haven't been to in 25yrs). but yes, keep up the good work and hopefully i can join at a later date! jim

"that was probably the Russians HDR"

NO it was Facebook and I don't find humor in it. there inside y'alls computer too. I don't know why you want to kick a dead horse and get me all riled up.

highdesertranger

LookinUp said:
Great job LookinUp! I checked out your FB group and instantly joined up, the  work and the bags of garbage your FB group, sorry, our group,  is getting off the public lands is incredible. I like the positive remarks from hikers that witnessed a member picking up other peoples trash on a trail. It's people like you that act as a "positive catalyst" that make a difference, not the haters.  Thanks for making campsites and trails cleaner!

Hello Everyone,
I too have not been on FB for some time now.
Just one comment about litter on Fed lands. I am currently boondocking in a national forest near a boat ramp and have observed a few boaters coming and going. Its quiet, not much traffic. It seems to me that the litter is coming primarily from the day trip folks and weekenders. For example,
One truck just left with its tailgate down. As they drove away 1 beer can and an empty bait container rolled out. Things like this play out daily. Its not ever a lot of trash from one vehicle but a small amount from several.
Careless acts by those who come for the day.
My advise to all nomads who live on these lands is simple. Dont let those careless acts by others ruin our opportunity to use these lands. Pick up trash and dispose of it even though it is not our trash. This is very important! Make it a point to ad this chore to your regular routine. 
Although living / camping on public land is "free", nothing is entirely free from effort.
Good luck
God Bless

highdesertranger said:
"that was probably the Russians HDR"

NO it was Facebook and I don't find humor in it.  there inside y'alls computer too.  I don't know why you want to kick a dead horse and get me all riled up.

highdesertranger
Sorry HDR, i shouldnt have provoked you. i apologize. to the OP, i did go ahead and join your group as it is worthy and i am on many groups and i can swing by and like posts and such and give encouragement as you said. heck, i'm even in a Slab City group i keep tabs on but the more i see what goes down there the less i have the desire to go there :)

Latest posts