lifepo4 coulomb capacity LCD meter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, my old one did not have any configurability. I like these sunsavers. I had a ss20l before, but liked the idea of the duo charging starter battery too. The modbus adapter will.pet me configure everything on the controller.

I'm curious if the two bank outputs only differentiate amps available, or actually regulate voltage/stages independently, two completely separate regulator circuits.

Supposedly completely isolated from each other. There are dip switches to choose the battery chemistries for each. It's all in that pdf manual I posted.

Cool that's very rare.

I think I've never seen that in a shore charger, although they try to imply with "isolated" just meaning current isn't allowed to flow from one to the other.

Hi John, the manufacturer replied back that the absorb voltage is 14.6

Great. I tell people never base a big expensive bank on a batt mfg you can't get good TS from.

Ideally basic info like this is readily available while shopping, but so many buyers are unaware of what to look for, in the mass market channels I guess the mfg hasn't got such a strong incentive as at the high end dealing mostly with pro's.

So, based on that info - should I change anything in my setup? Settings in the controller? How about the end voltage on the meter, should I change that to 14.6 from 0, and set the empty voltage at 10.5?

I am guessing the controller is not set up to push the right amount of voltage at 14.1 by default for a sealed battery. That should instead be 14.6...

Yes and yes.

Every batt has its specs, best to match them.

John61CT said:
Yes and yes.

Every batt has its specs, best to match them.

Thanks for the help!

I asked morningstar and they said it is their policy not to tell customers what to set the custom setpoints to. While I can appreciate that to a degree,  I was also a bit lost, because I provided the battery specs, and want to make sure I set their controller up properly.

There are many settings with the modbus adapter that become available. I'll dig into that on Monday I suppose. 

For now, I'll at least change the settings on the meter.

Attached is the configuration screen defaults.

I plan to set it to 14.6, and 13.8 for absorb and float respectively. I guess I should leave the 60 min value alone?

Attachments

• default sunsaver.JPG
    default sunsaver.JPG
    86.6 KB · Views: 9
Jmel said:
Attached is the configuration screen defaults.

I plan to set it to 14.6, and 13.8 for absorb and float respectively. I guess I should leave the 60 min value alone?
Yes and no

You need to adjust the hold Absorb timer so that under avg or higher load conditions, it stays at 14.6 until Full, as per endAmps.

If you don't know mfg spec, use .005C, or 5A per 100AH.

Disable Equalize, do manually monthly if appropriate.

What model batts?

I'll probably leave it alone then. Batteries are ocean 100ah agm. 2 in parallel.

Just got the modbus / meterbus adapter in. I set the absorb on the duo from 14.1 to 14.6. I set the Float from 13.7 to 13.8.

I read that the "time to float" is how long it keeps it in absorb until it changes to float. Right now I have it set at 60 mins, but it looks like my controller was actually set to 120 from the factory.

The coloumbmeter seems to still be doing well. It gives a great "at a glance" view of the battery's capacity.

My guess is you want to increase the absorb when under use and decrease it if not.

Since my battery is always under use with the 12v fridge attached (at least, it is cycling a few times per hour), I went with these higher values. I hope it works out.

Yes, long as a fridge is powered, on a solar-only setup the bank is getting cycled every day, needs Absorb voltage.

Attached to shore power Float voltage will carry the fridge 24*7, nothing is drawn from the bank

I got some new info from Morningstar. Their support is amazing. They said the timer for 'tine before float' is essentially time that it will hold absorb. I set it to 4 hours now. Especially with it being winter soon. They gave me a great rundown of what all the settings and values are with the meterbus device that hooks up to the controller.

So I noticed something new this morning. The battery was charging away in the morning sun, and voltage read 15v.

There is a setting for the controller called "max regulation voltage" - so now I've changed my strategy a bit. I set absorb to 14.4 and max regulation voltage to 14.6 from 15. Now battery is sitting nicely at 14.6 eating about .4 amps.

I’ve just been watching my pre-charger amps and volts for the first time. I’d not be surprised if there is a substantial voltage drop while you are in actual, not estimated, absorb. My alternator went out on this trip and I used the panels to get me out of some deep backcountry 5-10 miles at a pop.

Latest posts