Let's Talk Vintage Campers

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd go 3/4 or 1 ton with a crew cab and a cap.

Thanks Everyone for you input on this.

I am seriously soooo torn about what I want, lol. The two most important factors for me are getting the smallest rig I can (I hate driving big stuff) but also having room to sleep at least 3-4, which would seem to contradict each other. I think I'm going to end up doing my own build.

I often miscalculated how long a project will take. I thought maybe a week, it was months. You will find a lot of trailers already stripped out because the person who started the "restore" found out how easy it isn't.

I would just keep an eye open for a deal. Sometimes people inherit them and have no use for them. They want them sold sooner than later. Asking price is not selling price. If they want it gone bad, you might get it for half price.

Some people are good negotiators, they really know how to read people. I am terrible at it. My motto is buy high sell low. If you are like me find someone who can dicker for you.

DannyB1954 said:
I often miscalculated how long a project will take. I thought maybe a week, it was months. You will find a lot of trailers already stripped out because the person who started the "restore" found out how easy it isn't.

haha yep....that will totally be me I'm sure.

rvpopeye said:
...Don't think what do I need to tow a particular trailer but what do I need to stop it.

Very true.  Whatever the tow rig is, it will need a trailer brake controller to safely operate the brakes on the trailer.

MindyLee said:
...The two most important factors for me are getting the smallest rig I can...

My honest recommendation here is that you should look into a Toyota Tacoma (6,500lbs.), Nissan Frontier (6,500lbs.), or Dodge Dakota (~7,400lbs).  Try to get an extended or crew cab (either/or makes no difference) as longer wheelbase trucks handle a trailer better as will 4x4 (or Toyota Pre-Runner) suspension, and go for the biggest engine available for the year that you're looking at, and consult the owners manual for specific numbers (in other words, don't just take the salesman's word for it).  Any of the three listed above should be more than adequate for towing anything under ~20'.  Once you get into the 20'-25' trailers, you'll want to upgrade to a half-ton F150, Silverado/Sierra 1500 or Ram 1500.  I personally think that a 3/4-ton would be over-kill here, but that's just my 2¢.  There are also a lot of mid-sized SUV's that haven't been discussed, but the Trailblazer I seem to remember also has a good reputation for towing quite a bit.

I know the Dodge Dakota came with different engines. I have the V8 4.7. It towed a 18' storage trailer full of things when I moved from Ca to Nv. Fuel consumption going uphill was 10 MPG or a little less, but it made it.

You might consider a high low trailer. They offer less wind resistance while towing.

DannyB1954 said:
I know the Dodge Dakota came with different engines. I have the V8 4.7. It towed a 18' storage trailer full of things when I moved from Ca to Nv. Fuel consumption going uphill was 10 MPG or a little less, but it made it.

There's always a trade-off for MPG's when it comes to towing capability. The good news is that a 4x4 Dakota with a V-8 gets about 20MPG unloaded, and that's not bad for a truck that can tow close to 4 tons.

Here are a few Hi-Lo's

A fixer upper, that's what good for hunters means. lol

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/rvs/5784115391.html

Another vintage with less fixing up to do

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/5748400716.html

No fixing up it looks like

http://denver.craigslist.org/rvs/5806963101.html

Now I'm not going to lie to you and say the larger ones can be pulled by a Chevette. The one mentions a dry weight of 4000 pounds and that's 5000 pounds or more loaded. Even without as much wind resistance it's a substantial trailer. The first one looks smaller but has little info. All from my area but just as examples of Hi-Lo's.

the thing about those pop up trailers is there is very little storage, there are no cabinets that go from floor to ceiling, the refer is at floor level, they are drafty. the seals on the first two probably leak like a sieve. in a dust storm the insides get filthy. highdesertranger

There is no free rides. A advantage in one area usually means a cost in another. I don't like seals which is why I don't want a slide out. Mine may be a 3 season but it does pretty well when the temps drop into the 20's at night. No seals means no drafts.

IMHO........
Towing is a major PITA!!!!

It is stressful,
You are limited where you can park,
You are at times limited where you can drive,
Getting into a "camp site" can be difficult if you must back in. (I use the word "camp" tongue in cheek for staying in an RV ain't exactly camping!)
Sucks your fuel mileage away.

Look for a class "B" camper Van.
Failing that get a simple pop up style trailer, they are light and your minivan can tow the smaller ones.

I've got a VW Westfalia Camper with the pop up top, sleeps four.
Not cheap to get but is a fantastic vacation pod for camping.

Dave
Dave

WOW such a wealth of new info today! You guys rock. This place is like the Library of Congress of RV info!

It bears stating that I've never towed anything in my life, LOL but I'm inclined to think at this point that it really will stress me out, at least until I was used to it. Another factor I just thought about is ease of setup and takedown of our campsites, so at this point I really do feel a van of some sort or a class B is the way to go.

More research to be done!

If you've never towed before, while it can be learned, it isn't a fun activity. Sure straight ahead on the freeway is fine....... Outside of that...... I'd rather shove a pencil into my eye! I've been driving and have towed things for almost five decades, I've NEVER enjoyed it!
I'm planning to build a class B camper from a simple Dodge conversion Van.

Dave

See, I disagree. It depends on the person. When I was younger I did a lot of towing. When I first started I found a space to practice. It really wasn't a big deal to me after the first few times of nerves, and if it weren't for spinal issues I'd still consider it. There are many women over 55 who took up towing small trailers for the first time with no issue so I wouldn't rule it out just because it sounds stressful because you have no experience. The only way to know for sure is to actually try it out. With a young family having a trailer could make camp setup and tear down easier since there is less that would have to be reorganized to pack up. Perhaps you have or know someone with a tow hitch (so you could rent a trailer) or even a trailer that might let you test it out to see if it could be a viable option for you.

Sorry to give you more food for thought but I think you deserve to hear another point of view.

I agree with anewbie, it's not that hard. I didn't learn until I was well in to my 40's and when the day comes that living in just the van becomes problematic, I'll likely switch to a travel trailer.

The first time I ever towed a trailer was when I picked up my custom made cargo trailer at the Wells Cargo manufacturing facility in Elkhart IN.

It was a 15' long box with an extra foot in height so it actually looked larger than the Ford E150 I was going to use for towing it. Actually the darned thing looked huge!! The staff there gave me a 20 minute lesson in the parking lot and helped me adjust the trailer brakes and I was off!!

Hauled it back to Lockport NY, loaded my stuff and headed out down the interstate to Florida.

The worst part of hauling the trailer was having all the guys pop out of the woods to tell you how to back it up, even if you were in the middle of a 100 acre corn field...I swear that they popped up just like groundhogs..... :D :D :rolleyes:

You didn't know how to drive a vehicle until you learned...now you do it without giving it much thought. Same goes for hauling a trailer around. It's all a learned skill!

Don't let someone else's fears or perceived problems derail you from getting the type and/or combination of vehicles that you need to have for you and your family to enjoy life on the road.

I agree 110%. pulling a trailer is not a big deal once you learn, it becomes second nature. I don't have a problem parking because I know where to park when I have a trailer. I can get a trailer anywhere I can get my truck. it doesn't matter if I am towing or not my gas mileage sucks. highdesertranger

CottonTexas said:
There's always a trade-off for MPG's when it comes to towing capability.  The good news is that a 4x4 Dakota with a V-8 gets about 20MPG unloaded, and that's not bad for a truck that can tow close to 4 tons.

Mine does not get near that. Maybe 13 city, 17 highway, ( I have the 2005 Dakota 4X4 4.7).

On trailer towing a lot depends where you operate it. In San Francisco no way, just about any rural area not a problem.

Latest posts