Legal stealth and make a few bucks?

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boyntonstu

Reaction score
Find a small strip mall.

Go into each store and offer to park outside their shop and be their night watchman.

Else, just ask if they will allow you to park for the night like at Walmart.

You could install a video camera and possibly a motion detector operated light/alarm.

Show them your rig, etc. to gain confidence.

With a signed note that allows you to park, you should pass all inquiries.

They may even give you a few bucks for parking.  

Who knows?

You would most likely have to talk to the owner of the property. The shops just rent their spot\place. I like the way you think though! :cool:

Wabbit said:
You would most likely have to talk to the owner of the property. The shops just rent their spot\place. I like the way you think though! :cool:

I believe that the store owner has rights as well.

Have you ever seen a truck parked near the road with the store name on it?

Free billboard ad?

Could very well be.

Yes.

Free billboard or their stealthing it and making a few bucks working road security.

Get a job there and tell them you like working there so much you never want to go home!!!

Boyntonstu said:
Find a small strip mall.

Go into each store and offer to park outside their shop and be their night watchman.

Else, just ask if they will allow you to park for the night like at Walmart.

You could install a video camera and possibly a motion detector operated light/alarm.

Show them your rig, etc. to gain confidence.

With a signed note that allows you to park, you should pass all inquiries.

They may even give you a few bucks for parking.  

Who knows?

Have you done this, Boytonstu? What part of the country? Thanks!

Wabbit said:
Could very well be.

Yes.

Free billboard or their stealthing it and making a few bucks working road security.

Good idea!  If you plan to be in the area for awhile.

Have them buy a few magnetic signs and your van with their name and address should work wonders.

The next van in town can reuse the magnetic signs,  :dodgy:

Working as a group really helps.

and when they report you on their taxes as a 1099 write off, the state asks to see your business license, your corporate insurance, and your security guard license. yeah that van is theirs.

what you might as well do is go to a security guard company and tell them your situation. you'd be there darling and work 60+ hrs a week sitting in your van with a "legit" spot to park. did this at a construction site for over 2 years.

bardo said:
and when they report you on their taxes as a 1099 write off, the state asks to see your business license, your corporate insurance, and your security guard license. yeah that van is theirs.

what you might as well do is go to a security guard company and tell them your situation. you'd be there darling and work 60+ hrs a week sitting in your van with a "legit" spot to park. did this at a construction site for over 2 years.

eh ... I feel like you're overthinking it.  It seems more likely to me that this would be a cash transaction, which means they don't even really need your full name, much less SSN or something for the IRS or state regulatory agency to track you down. 

Then again, we all have our own levels of risk tolerance.  I have a pretty good defence against the possibility of being audited - I just don't make enough money to make it worth their time.  They'll pay an auditor more to even look at my file then they stand a chance of getting out of me.

honestly then If I were a business I would be pretty skeptical. "hey I live in this cargo van and would like to totally stay here overnight and watch your store, cash only"

I mean we've all seen heist movies

You're going to throw a brick through their window each night for a week prior to asking? LoL

they can't file a 1099 on you without a SSN. if they did then they would be in trouble. highdesertranger

UptownSport said:
You're going to throw a brick through their window each night for a week prior to asking? LoL

I've actually caught a couple people on security videos that thought that was a valid way to find employment; ... they got new jewelry (handcuffs) as a reward.

As a business owner (though I don't have a shop location) I can tell ya that if I watched a guy in a van work his way down a strip mall asking every place this questions I would definitely NOT hire him. Especially if he was trying to get hired off the books without providing the proper info. I would however take down his plate and whatever info he gave me and pass it on to the local PD. Sounds more like you're casing the strip mall then wanting to watch it. But who knows, maybe it will work ...