Laying the floor in an E250 (motorcycle related) Opinions please :)

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi again.  Thanks very much for the help everyone gave so far.

I'm now starting the floor thought process.
The end goal is to be able to scew not only the bed and cabinets, but also steel hooks into the floor to tie down my honda 150 dirt bike.  Its light enough that I (a woman of 125lbs) can pick it up off the ground (after some muscle building in the gym).

Do you think this method would work?
1. Scew in one 2x4 support across where I want the bike.
2.  Glue foam board down either side of 2x4 support.
3.  Lay, glue1/2 inch plywood on top of foam and the 2x4.
4.  Lay vinal floor.
5.  Screw hooks through vinal into 2x4 support for the bike.
6.  Screw rest of furniture to 1/2 inch plywood.

I would put eye bolts or those lay down D rings like they use in trailers through the floor with good sized backing plates on the bottom. Think seat belt fastening. If you are in a wreck (hopefully not), you want that bike to stay in the back and not come flying up front where you are.

Simple screw hooks that are scewed into wood will NOT hold a motorcycle in place on bumpy roads, much less in a panic stop or worse, a collision.

Recessed D-Rings OR E-track is the way to go, and either solution HAS to be secured to the frame underneath the metal floor. For a lightweight motorcycle, you might be able to secure the mounts (in multiple places) to the metal floor only. (not recomended, but some owners do it anyway)

Then you need ratcheting cargo straps to secure the bike with at least 4 points.

Also, you really need a Pingel or similar motorcycle wheel chock or you can build or have something fabricated that will secure the bike against all forward movement. 

From experience I can tell you it is a huge pain in the backside to load, secure, work around, and then unhook and unload even a small motorcycle or moped in a van.

You are much better off to use a hitch mount carrier and carry the bike (up to about 300 pounds) behind the bumper.

I tie down my Kawasaki KLR250 dirtbike in the back of my truck with two ratchet straps hooked to each side of the handlebars, drawing down the shocks a bit in the front. I also have 2 ratchet straps in the rear hooked to the rear lift bar, that I tighten up to the point of drawing down my shocks a bit as well. My pickup truck has a grooved floor so the tires stay put. You may want to build a 2x4 cradle to let your tires sit in to keep them from moving.

tx2sturgis said:
Simple screw hooks that are scewed into wood will NOT hold a motorcycle in place on bumpy roads, much less in a panic stop or worse, a collision.

Recessed D-Rings OR E-track is the way to go, and either solution HAS to be secured to the frame underneath the metal floor. For a lightweight motorcycle, you might be able to secure the mounts (in multiple places) to the metal floor only. (not recomended, but some owners do it anyway)

Then you need ratcheting cargo straps to secure the bike with at least 4 points.

Also, you really need a Pingel or similar motorcycle wheel chock or you can build or have something fabricated that will secure the bike against all forward movement. 

From experience I can tell you it is a huge pain in the backside to load, secure, work around, and then unhook and unload even a small motorcycle or moped in a van.

You are much better off to use a hitch mount carrier and carry the bike (up to about 300 pounds) behind the bumper.
Thanks.. it would be nice to have the bike on a hitch, but unfortunately I xanca do that.  It will get stolen.  Already had someone try to take it.  I'm ok with tie doens.. just wanted to know more about securing the hooks to the floor.  Thanks again for your suggestions.. into the frame it is.

Thanks.. it would be nice to have the bike on a hitch, but unfortunately I xanca do that.  It will get stolen.  Already had someone try to take it. 

A large chain or sturdy cable lock securing the bike frame to the vehicle frame or bumper should slow down anyone who doesnt carry around a portable grinder.

I am sure most of you know there a 2 types of eye bolts. the cheap ones should never be used to tie down anything in mobile applications or anything heavy. here's a cheap eye bolt,

https://www.amazon.com/Hillman-Grou...8978&s=industrial&sr=1-6&tag=geminipcstand-20

here is one that is actually rated for loads,

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WAK26N...&pd_rd_r=7aec8bd1-3488-11e9-8e3f-a56107da1d35

now you don't need one quite so big but you can see the difference. also note the cheap one doesn't even give you a working load.

highdesertranger

Pick up a cheap wheel chock from harbor freight.

Replace the rear seat bolts for the driver and passenger brackets with closed eye bolts. The seat bases are heavily tested for crash safety. They'll hold. If the van originally had passenger seats the bolt holes and seat belt bracketed is also plenty strong.

PS I've transported many a much much heavier bike this way. Had a few emergency stops and they stayed put.