LADIES. Please Help. Color Scheme. My CT

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blmkid

Reaction score
### Forum Admin, Please move this to Mod's & Conversions.#####

This is something I'm not sure about. What I want. 1/4" luan ceiling panels stained with,
 Minwax Golden Oak stain.
golden-oak-minwax-interior-stain-71001000-64_300.jpg
Fabric for walls:
Tucson Stone Turquoise
turquoise_fabric.jpg
Tucson Stone Gold
tuscan_fabric.jpg
Fabric pics from:
https://www.fabric.com/quilting-fabric-novelty-conversational-quilt-fabrics-western-flair.aspx

Tuscon Stone Turquoise or Tuscon Stone Gold fabric? Ladies, do they both go well with the Minwax Golden Oak stain?

Now the BIG question. Anybody experienced using Minwax Golden Oak Stain on luan 1/4". Will the color be like the pic above, as in color after applying the stain?

Attachments

• golden-oak-minwax-interior-stain-71001000-64_300.jpg
    golden-oak-minwax-interior-stain-71001000-64_300.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 9
  • turquoise_fabric.jpg
    turquoise_fabric.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 8
  • tuscan_fabric.jpg
    tuscan_fabric.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 8
I cant speak to the color matching, heck, I'm a guy and EVERY woman would disagree no matter which one I liked, but I can tell you that as soon as you put on that stain, even clear or 'golden' or 'blonde' or 'honey', the luan will get darker, and maybe a LOT darker. But it will also gain a bit of a 'sheen' so it will look more finished.

You probably know all this already....but remember I pre-qualified under the 'Obvious Man' thread.

:p

tx2sturgis said:
 but I can tell you that as soon as you put on that stain, even clear or 'golden' or 'blonde' or 'honey', the luan will get darker, and maybe a LOT darker.
Ok Tex. Which stain color would make it a light color? I got no clue. Me no stain man. I want it bright.
I just don't think White paint would look good. 

The only way to tell for sure is to do a test strip.

I'd say Golden Oak is going to be too dark when applied to the Luan. One of the lighter pine colors may come closer to the fabric.

Also keep in mind that you're probably going to want to add polyurethane over top so that it's washable. It will also change the color of the wood at least a little.

Well unless there is some new product that does that, as far as I know, when you 'stain' something, you are by default, making it darker.

Even a clear polyurethane will somewhat darken that bare wood finish.

You have to start out with a white pine, white ash, or something equally bright if you want the end result to be a light color.

Well. Maybe a White ceiling would be okay? Ladies. Help. I'm dying.
turquoise-wall-living-room-markham-roberts.jpg

Ok Tex. White Ceiling?

Attachments

• turquoise-wall-living-room-markham-roberts.jpg
    turquoise-wall-living-room-markham-roberts.jpg
    126.8 KB · Views: 11
What do you plan on using the fabric for!

If it's accessories like curtains and pillows take a fabric sample with you and find a light paint that would go well with one of the lighter colors in the fabric. A darker paint will make the interior shrink considerably. Make sure you get a good 'kitchen' paint so you can wash it.

I wouldn't use more than one of those fabrics in the van, it would get too 'busy' if you did.

I used a fairly complex fabric for drapes throughout the entire van including my quilted driving compartment wrap-around and then used a complimentary shade of gray paint and a lighter shade of vinyl for ceiling panels and door inserts.

Fabric will be for walls in Cargo Trailer.
turquoise_fabric.jpg
or
tuscan_fabric.jpg

I want a light color ceiling. Guess the luan will be painted. Gray?

Aiming for A Southwestern theme.

Attachments

• turquoise_fabric.jpg
    turquoise_fabric.jpg
    199.9 KB · Views: 7
  • tuscan_fabric.jpg
    tuscan_fabric.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 5
Is this a van, an RV, or a house that you're working on?

{edit: cargo trailer, ok}

Hey here are a couple of pictures from my cargo trailer which had the light colored luan...and then after a couple coats of the clear polyurethane. The lighting is different so I held up a yellow stabilizer pad for a reference.

2017-10-22 14.15.28 (Small).jpg

2017-10-22 14.15.45 (Small).jpg

2017-10-22 14.16.27 (Small).jpg

Attachments

• 2017-10-22 14.16.27 (Small).jpg
    2017-10-22 14.16.27 (Small).jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 2017-10-22 14.15.28 (Small).jpg
    2017-10-22 14.15.28 (Small).jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 9
  • 2017-10-22 14.15.45 (Small).jpg
    2017-10-22 14.15.45 (Small).jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 10
tx2sturgis said:
Hey here are a couple of pictures from my cargo trailer which had the light colored luan...and then after a couple coats of the clear polyurethane. The lighting is different so I held up a yellow stabilizer pad for a reference.

Man. That did turn dark, and clear coat to boot. I'm wanting some light reflection. But no way will I use the Fiberglass re-enforced panels. This decorating stuff sure is a brain twister.

What are you doing to the fabric on the walls to make them durable?

Without some kind of coating they are going to absorb all the dirt, grunge and odors that living in a space creates. And I've found that living in a small space doesn't diminish the amount of grunge, it just compacts it in to the smaller space.

I used this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mod-Podge-Waterbase-16-Ounce-CS11302/dp/B001IKES5O

to stabilize and protect fabric when I worked in the craft industry. Covered with a coat of clear polyurethane it will hold up for years against the use as a wall covering.

Personally, I'd find doing whole walls with that complex a fabric way to busy for peaceful living.

Almost There said:
What do you plan on using the fabric for!

If it's accessories like curtains and pillows take a fabric sample with you and find a light paint that would go well with one of the lighter colors in the fabric. A darker paint will make the interior shrink considerably. Make sure you get a good 'kitchen' paint so you can wash it.

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Personally, I'd find doing whole walls with that complex a fabric way to busy for peaceful living.[/font]
I would like a Southwestern theme. Any suggestions on the fabric for walls ?

ahem.... men can understand colors too.

In short, the turqouise is the better choice for most of your ceiling options. But it depends...

For the wood, the turquoise would compliment a brown ceiling, while the gold one would be more monochromatic. (teal and orange/brown are complimentary colors - almost opposite on the color wheel, and they will generally look good together). But.... it depends on what you'd like. A monochromatic design theme is also a thing and you might like that. If you use brown wood and the gold fabric, the lightness and excact color of the wood starts to matter a lot more than it would for the turqoise, and there is a higher chance of it looking weird together.

For a white ceiling, either one. Whichever you like better.

For a grey ceiling, it depends on how dark the grey is but in general, either one will work ok. Because the turqoise one appears a bit darker than the gold one, so if you have a grey that is about the same ~'lightness' as the gold fabric, you should use the turqoise, and vice-versa.

[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]In general, white ceilings give a brighter and larger feeling interior and why popular in homes. But the dirt and grime factor is a negative. Compromises, repaint every couple years is simple and quick. There are white, wood stains btw but paint is quicker, faster, cheaper and easier overall.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]The blue pattern will hide dirt better and contrast better against a white or light grey ceiling. The gold pattern would be too matchy match and too blend with wood imho. Contrast makes it pop. Add accents/trim to the inside in shades found in the blue pattern and you will be acclaimed for your interior decorating. Blue is calming like the sky and the sea.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Btw, AT is right on the money with her comments.[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]Wise one. :)[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, sans-serif]When dealing with complex patterns, less is more else will overwhelm the interior. Sections/ panels would add impact, but maybe not ideal for all of the walls. [/font]

Almost There said:
to make them durable?  I used this:

https://www.amazon.com/Mod-Podge-Waterbase-16-Ounce-CS11302/dp/B001IKES5O

to stabilize and protect fabric when I worked in the craft industry. Covered with a coat of clear polyurethane it will hold up for years against the use as a wall covering.

Personally, I'd find doing whole walls with that complex a fabric way to busy for peaceful living.
Thanks for the Mod-Podge tip!
I want "peaceful" feeling visitor's. White ceiling and which of these two do you like?
Ranch Hands Longhorn Cream.jpg
Art Gallery Wild & Free Fletching Chant.jpg

I'm looking at this web site. Photos from it. https://www.fabric.com/find?SearchText=western

Attachments

• Ranch Hands Longhorn Cream.jpg
    Ranch Hands Longhorn Cream.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Art Gallery Wild & Free Fletching Chant.jpg
    Art Gallery Wild & Free Fletching Chant.jpg
    114.3 KB · Views: 4
The first one - while it's southwest, it almost looks like a wood grain and it is a color that will hide grunge!

If you're using it go for a winter white ceiling paint, something with a hint of brown in it rather than stark white.

Remember that all whites are not equal.

Almost There said:
The first one - while it's southwest, it almost looks like a wood grain and it is a color that will hide grunge!

If you're using it go for a winter white ceiling paint, something with a hint of brown in it rather than stark white.

Remember that all whites are not equal.
Thank you. This will do it for me on this subject.

Thank you all for the reply's.