Kreg jig for joining wood

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Free Range Chicken

Reaction score
Hello friends, I am looking into some tutorials online on how to build cabinets for my conversion.

Almost all of them talk about the pocket screw system named Kreg jig. In your experience is it worth the investment ??? Is the quality of the end product improved +?? How about the speed of construction?? Do you suggest other methods for easier and faster joining ???

I'm planning to build a lot of cabinets and the bed base, perhaps a mother's attic and a couple of drawers..

Free Range Chicken said:
Almost all of them talk about the pocket screw system named Kreg jig. In your experience is it worth the investment ??? Is the quality of the end product improved +?? How about the speed of construction?? Do you suggest other methods for easier and faster joining ???

I'm planning to build a lot of cabinets and the bed base, perhaps a mother's attic and a couple of drawers..
There are lots of reviews click here on Amazon, hundreds of them.  Looks like people rate all their products pretty high.

I use one quite often for secure, removable, hidden connections of face frames, shelves and case assemblies.
For a one time construction of cabinetry, if I were not concerned about visible hardware, or the ability to easily reset shelves or dismantle cabinets or whatever- I'd just screw and nail with glue and forgo the tool.

Like most things- there is a learning curve to get the most from the tool... I like mine, and have used it a lot in my construction business.
Normally I use the bench mount version with it's attached clamping device as most of my construction happens in my shop, but do on occasion use the simple, one hole jig that has to be clamped to the material with the vise grip clamp used for assembling the joints- I would consider buying only that simple jig, clamp and bit for a one time project...it is small and offers more flexibility, though it will slow production over using the bench model.

I have the two hole Jig, have used it often, and really like it.

It is a much stronger joint than just predrilling at an angle and driving a screw.

The holes left are not hideous either if they have to remain visible.  Wood dowels and a flush cut saw can fill them, and they sell premade inserts.

Do note that the screws are fairly expensive.

One needs a battery powered drill capable of opening to 1/2 inch.

A 120v drill can be used if one has a lot of trigger finger skill.

I've found a longer drill bit to chase the hole is convenient, as I like the screw holes a bit further from the edge of the piece on many applications.

A good deep jaw clamp is critical, like a Bessy.

The strength of the joint is impressive.  It works great for pulling the two pieces together tightly.

I've used regular deckmate wood screws with washers to join larger lumber strongly and cleanly, but the washers need a little reaming.

I didn't but my @ hole kreg jig for any specific job, but after using it, I realized it opened up a whole new realm of joinery.  Especially nice when glue is required, and one does not want to wait for the glue to dry to move the piece.

I love the Kreg joinery system.  I initially bought the system to aid in a closet remodel.  Very simple to learn and use.  Glue plus this joinery method makes an extremely strong joint.  The screws come in different thread styles.  Match the styles to your wood or construction use.  Coarse screw threads have greater holding power.

Can't resist, this is my first Kreg joinery project.  This is a room which began as cinder block foundation walls and a concrete floor.  Every thing you see was built and installed with Kreg joinery.

HPIM2148.JPGHPIM2145.JPG
HPIM2144.JPGHPIM2147.JPG

Attachments

• HPIM2145.JPG
    HPIM2145.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • HPIM2144.JPG
    HPIM2144.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 17
  • HPIM2148.JPG
    HPIM2148.JPG
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
  • HPIM2147.JPG
    HPIM2147.JPG
    944.3 KB · Views: 14
Nice, I'd like to have one of those jigs, but I find my self in turmoil as I'm trying to reduce inventory.
If I'm gonna be out an traveling, living in a van I don't need to be adding tools :(. I love my tools and new tools

just got the HF version, which has very high reviews, a lot saying its better than kreg, as its made of metal. just first impressions it is very solid and high quality. with coupon i paid 60 bucks. looking forward to building cabinets using it.

I have the two hole model. It comes with the special drill bit and driver bit. I also have and recommend the "right angle clamp". I use spring clamps to hold the jig in place while drilling. The "right angle clamp" pulls the wood together for screwing tight. Much better than any other joinery I have used. The special drill bit is very high quality. HF can not be of the quality.

That HF kit is twice as expensive as he Kreg Kit I got, but not the same design either.

I like Bessey screw clamps to hold it in place. I have some Made in Germany ones, The made in China ones are clunky in comparison

yeah the hf jig is comparable to the 99$ kreg version (the one with clamp on it), except all metal. the bits seem identical to me. ill probably put it thru the paces next weekend.
unless i paint the van instead

Looks like a must have tool for my next build.

I don't have a kreg joiner,but I have a biscuit joiner if anybody in my area wants to borrow it.Bring your van.You're welcome to camp on my place and use my shop and other tools also.Just check with me know in advance cause we travel a lot.

The Kreg tools come with a made in usa drill bit. The package says made in china, but both of mine are made in usa. The body is not ordinary plastic. It is a special stuff and the drill guides are hardened metal. Again, made in usa. The HF does not come close.

I bought the Kreg Jr because the regular 2 hole Kreg was just outrageously priced here in Ontario and all I wanted it for was this conversion job - a one time thing!

It has allowed me to do things I would never have been able to do without it and truly, there's only been a few times where setting it up once for 2 holes would have been better. In most cases the holes are separated further than the 2 hole set up and I'd be moving the jig anyways and only using one of the two holes.

I did buy the Kreg screws despite several opinions I found that they weren't worth the extra money...the little bit extra I paid was well worth it IMO. The screw heads are smaller so they fit inside the pocket hole better than a #10 wood screw AND I haven't had any crack out the wood which I did with the #10 in plywood a couple of times.

I'd rate it as the best tool I had to buy for this job. Coming in a close second is my knee pads... :D

And before you think I had a full wood shop, heck no, the whole interior is being done with a jig saw and a single speed drill for power tools. All other tools are hand tools like the ratchet screw driver.

Pocket hole screws are needed for the correct result.

Latest posts