Kodiak discussion

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hausmutti

Reaction score
Not sure where this should be posted but there is something important I would like to address.  Namely, the negative attitudes and calling people stupid (even if not using that particular word) for wanting information on or using something you don’t like.  This can apply to other things like composting toilets but I’m speaking namely of the discussion about the Kodiak Solar Generator.  
First, I realize the term, “generator”, isn’t exactly technically correct but that’s what the industry calls it.  
Next, anybody researching or asking about this knows we can make a set up cheaper, though this might be using lower quality components.  So, if one is asking about experiences with the Kodiak or Goal Zero they are most likely aware of the difference in cost.
There is no one here who does not pay others to do things they either are unable or don’t want to do.  For example, I have neither the skills nor the desire to deal with many mechanical or electrical things.  I hate wires and stuff all over.  Back in the 90s I had a set up with a couple of lead acid batteries, inverters, solar panels and plug in charging we used during power outages living in the country.  Even 20 years ago and having the batteries on a rolling rack, the weight was difficult for me to handle.   Now, there is no way. So, for me and many others, a compact, lightweight, plug and play unit would be just right.
On the other hand, I do things that save money that many would not consider doing, either for lack of desire or skills.  I don’t pay others for new clothing.  Almost anything I wear I have made myself sometimes using repurposed clothing from thrift shops or sometimes from new fabric.  I have made clothing for my children and others’ children from pieces of fabric most people would throw away because I have the skills and enjoy working with it.  Whenever we moved it didn’t occur to me to buy  window treatments new from a store. I made them, even formal draperies.   I recovered my travel trailer cushions and made new curtains with almost all repurposed fabrics.  
I make almost everything we eat from scratch, including condiments.  I make all of our soaps, toothpaste, deodorant, moisturizers and body powders.  Would I call you stupid if you pay a company to make your clothing or deodorants or food from a mix?  
I’ve seen people say, "this is CHEAP rv living and a Kodiak isn’t cheap”.  Well, I daresay I’ve saved the cost of the difference in price of a Kodiak and homemade solar set up  many times over by making everything else from scratch because I have the skills and interest.  Other people have the ability and interest to lift heavy batteries, run wires and deal with electrical plugs and connections.  Some people do not.  Everything has an opportunity cost, as you learn in a basic economics course.  You might pay someone to change your oil, but then have to save money by not driving as far that month.
My point is, If someone asks about a product or technique, it would be far better for those who actually use or have experienced the product or technique to give their advice and opinion, rather than someone calling or implying a person stupid for wanting information if you have not used it.  
This forum can be a wealth of information because of the wide variety of skills and experiences of users, but only if used positively.  If you have used a product and it didn’t work out for you, by all means let people know of your experience, but if you’ve never used it yourself, please don’t imply someone is stupid for using it or wanting information.
Thanks.  

So, do you like your Kodiak?

What sort of things do you power, and for how long?

How many watts of solar are you using?

Just curious what your actual experience has been.

I don't have one, yet.  I'm one of the people looking for reports of others' experiences.  I would like to power a very small travel trailer or camping van as well as use in power outages at the house.

I think most of the negatives are about the price, and the marketing. But the unit is designed perfectly for you, as you described yourself.

The unit itself will power things like laptops, phone chargers, and other entertainment products easily.

If you try to run the 3-way fridge, or an A/C unit, microwave, or space heater, in a travel trailer, you will not be happy.

But lights, electronics, and intermittent use of things like blenders, drills, etc you will be fine.  

Buy a solar panel or two to charge it, and enjoy.

ok I don't think anybody actually called someone else stupid or even implied it. if you have examples please let the mods know. we will take care of it.

ok here's my take, to call these solar generators isn't just technically not correct but totally dishonest. if the people selling these are going to lie right up front what else are they not telling the truth about. liars seldom tell one lie, once started everything is open to not being truthful. the people selling these know they are being dishonest. how could they not know?

while it is true that these are fine for some people. however people need the facts. to say people already know all the facts is just plain wrong. most people who are looking at these are newcomers and have have no idea what they are buying. or they could put something together much cheaper.

the prices of these things is totally outrageous. someone is making a killing off unsuspecting consumers. should we keep quite about it?

like I said if you see people disparaging others let us know. but the truth needs to be told.

highdesertranger

Yes truth is the highest priority.

Portable powerpak is IMO the accurate term to use.

We get people conned by a salesman they're going to run aircon off one! Is it "kind" to let them keep that delusion?

Once someone has all the facts, understands the limitations and still wants to spend all that money, well that's their right, I won't insult them.

The most basic fact is, anything portable by an average person will not "power a van" unless you also carry a real generator, or travel many hours per day.

Maybe screen gadgets, led lighting and a fan, either small or not used too many hours.

Should be able to run a 12V compressor fridge for a while, but not on a mostly-solar setup unless ideal insolation conditions.

Recharging is silly slow, designed to be that way, for people with mains overnight maybe. Any lithium chemistry can fully recharge in an hour or well under, one of the main reasons for going LFP over lead.

I think the OP's point is that there has been a certain amount of snark, which I have noticed, directed at posters who are perceived as....something...perhaps too bourgeois, for lack of a better descriptor. I have noticed it here and there, but have chalked it up to a tendency nowadays to attack anyone who doesn't seem to be in an "in" group. Not unique to this forum, in fact widespread. It's a deadly trend in our society, to cluster up in "in" groups and then attack whoever is perceived as "out."

It sure would be nice to cultivate a culture of welcome and acceptance, regardless of DIY-ness or other status. I can tell you I'm wary of being judged, and so are most others on the road or prepping to hit the road. Those who have been on the forums for years might get a bit comfortable where they sit, but please remember that not everyone is comfortable...at all.

The Dire Wolfess

It is also the case that plain facts plainly stated can often be perceived as attacks, when they go against the mistaken beliefs of the newcomer.

Some are more skilled at gently "breaking the news" about a newbie's ignorance than others.

Some go so far as to say "if they already spent their money, don't make them feel bad about it"

but to me that can lead to other members with the same illusions also wasting* theirs.

*if it is a waste, relative value will of course depend on circumstances

The Kodiak does work for some people. You just have to search to find those reviews and blow off the know-it-alls who say otherwise (since it does not work for them).

I own a Kodiak and have used it on 7 camping trips, including 9 nights at the 2018 RTR. (I am a part-timer). I camp in a 2002 low roof Sprinter, which has a minimal, modular build-out.

We wanted to keep everything portable, since we weren’t sure if we would do a full build-out on our starter van. It’s also nice to have a unit we can use to power tools in our shed at the rear of our backyard. Occasionally, we have brief power outages during monsoon season here in Tucson and we can plug in our fridge and keep it going long enough for the power to be restored. Also nice to come home and the Kodiak will easily run our canister vacuum to clean the van.

I purchased the unit, plus two 50 watt Predator solar panels in November 2017.

My experience has been great, so far!

I was initially shipped a defective Kodiak and later a bad solar panel and the company replaced both promptly and comped me a fast car charger and fast AC charger, plus a carrying case for my solar panels. But everything was working in time for the RTR, which was my main concern.

I power my electronics (phone, iPad, LED lights, cell booster) and my 1cu ft Truckfridge.

The 4 lb solar panels are easy to move and they have slide connectors, so wires are minimized. If I do more forest camping, I may want to buy 2 more panels, but I’ve been fine, so far with my 100 Watts. :)

I love the ease of charging while driving with the fast car charger and then plugging in the panels once I have set up camp. I have never run the battery too low to keep the fridge running.

My only frustration is that the usb outlets are only active when the unit is turned on. I use a cigarette lighter socket adapter to get around this. Inergy told me they would be making that feature available in the next upgrade.

Please don’t ask me any questions about the specs. They are all available on the website: www.inergysolar.com

ps

The lightweight Predator solar panels I purchased are not currently listed on the Inergy website, so I am not sure if they are still available. I am waiting to hear back from the company.

highdesertranger said:
ok here's my take,  to call these solar generators isn't just technically not correct but totally dishonest. 

Other examples:

ATV, All Terrain Vehicles. Can one of these go up a 10 foot, 90 degree rock face? Nope. Can it traverse hot lava beds? Not a chance. So its not really ALL terrain.

Maintenance Free Batteries. Sorta, but not really. Some looking after is required. So it's not actually 'maintenance free'. 

Run flat tires. Yeah, maybe, for a few miles....but not forever. So you can't just run them flat and no worries.

So it comes down to marketing, and you gotta call it something.

Most people with a bit of common sense understand the terms, even though the terms or names may not be 100% accurate. 

I'm not defending, supporting, or bashing the product, but for some members here, they are the cat's meow...the bee's knees. They are pricey, but reading the above posts, it seems they have great customer support, kinda like Apple computers.

The Kodiak provides good value for them. That's all any product ever really needs to do.

:cool:

My 2 cents....

From a completely different angle; but this is important to some folks.

I'm only going to suggest googling 'cobalt mining for lithium batteries'.

There are many, many chemical combinations for lithium batteries. Some use cobalt, some don't.

The Inergy website lists their 90ah battery as Lithium NMC (Lithium Nickel Manganese Cobalt Oxide). I don't know why they chose this over LiFePo4.

LiFePo4 (Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries do not have cobalt and for me represent the best alternative. If I were to build a portable power unit it's the battery I'd use.

Just sayin.

Johnny I assume you are talking about all the horror stories about Cobalt mining in other parts of the world. I assure you it's not just mining for Cobalt, all mining in those counties are the same. pretty prevalent throughout the world, child labor, horrid work conditions, and a total lack of environmental controls. but we Americans want our cheap junk. China is just as bad or worse then all the rest. now where's my iphone and I need to turn up my GE air conditioner. and so on. highdesertranger

Yeah I’m aware of how we kinda take for granted our prosperity at the expense of others…I was past the 15 minute mark when I thought it through…feel free to delete my post if you want.

They call them solar generators because the inverter is built in and they're generating house-hold 120 volt AC and you can recharge them using solar (even though somewhat limited / slow), thus "solar generator" is actually a pretty fitting term... I don't really see anything wrong with that, even if the run-time is of course much shorter on higher loads than a gas or propane generator.

"Portable Powerpack" would not differentiate these devices enough from your common USB battery bank... and as some have tested, the Kodiak is definitely capable of heating up a microwave meal (if you have an efficient microwave model - it can't power the bigger ones)... not necessarily the best application if you want to make it through rest of the night with your CPAP, but not impossible... ;)

For smaller loads and for convenience and portability a Kodiak is a pretty cool package in my opinion.

I've been researching 'solar generators' with portable panels for about a year now for several reasons. I have a fiber glass high-top on my van and don't want to drill holes in it nor do I want a nest of wires and a lot of 'parts' to deal with.

If my van should die and it would be less expensive to get a different one I would be able to move my solar system in minutes vs hours and could do it by myself.

The Kodiak has the fastest recharge time via solar (2 hrs with max panels) vs Goal Zero Yeti 1250 (12-18 hrs with max panels). 2 hrs seems pretty fast to me. (Yes, I understand the times given are under ideal sunlight conditions.)

The 20 lb Kodiak is almost the equivalent of 200 AH of really heavy AGM batteries (because you can only safely use half of the AGM's power or risk a short life span).

According to the Kodiak sales team I have been communicating with it will do everything I want it to - keep my phone and tablet charged, run a 12V chest style compressor fridge, run a low watt microwave to heat up leftovers or cook a micro meal or 2, run LED lights and a fan....

And like the original poster, I would love to hear more reviews from anyone 'already using' the Kodiak.

There is no "generation" involved in inverter functionality.

Only when panels are included is the term justified.

The term is specifically used to make people think carrying one will **replace** the usual need to carry a ICE genny.

Such deception is often baldly stated in the marketing copy.

Often the detailed specs are obfuscated or outright exaggerated, I would say 90+% of units on the market.

There is a continuum of capacity from jumpstarters, big lead ones, little pocket LI ones, up to those harder to carry.

So no bright line, black and white cutoff between big or small.

This "central hub" thread on the topic shows the variety.

https://vanlivingforum.com/showthread.php?tid=23546

My point is that if an average person can easily carry it around, it won't have the sort of capacity most people living in their van need.

Exceptions outlined above.

Yes the Kodiak is relatively high capacity compared to others, convenience and portability are great.

It may well be the best portable powerpak out there.

They have their uses---they're good for people who have minimal power needs, no desire to build their own system, and just want to write a check and have "electricity".

But they also have crippling limitations--they are overpriced and underpowered, and won't run near as much as they give the impression they will.

If they meet your needs, great. But they do not meet most people's needs.

The real problem, of course, is that most people have utterly no idea whatever how much electricity they actually use every day, since it just comes right out of the wall whenever they want it in unlimited quantities. And so most people think any source of 'electricity" is going to be OK and run whatever they want to run. Alas, it ain't so. And for some people, it is a rude awakening to realize how much electricity they actually want to run, and how very hard it is to produce that much in a van.

Sadly, reality can be a bitch.

No doubt there's a lot of "solar generator" bashing here. Funny since most have never owned one. I've said it before, who really gives a rip what they are called. Most everyone out there calls them solar generators, works for me. I swear some people here must lose sleep over the term. Seems like there's more important things in life to worry about.

Still liking my Kodiak a lot. I power a Dometic CFX50W, Maxxair fan, desk fan, TV/DVD plus all of our device charging needs. I also have a 100ah AGM hanging on it in addition to it's internal 90ah battery. I charge it when driving from the ALT, from a portable 100w solar suitcase or a 190w AC power supply and small Sportsman gas generator if necessary. If I ever decide I need to I can pump up to 600w into it.

The best part is I can remove and relocate the entire system in about 1 minute. Money well spent I'd say.

Latest posts