KLR can haul some weight

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterplumber

Reaction score
So, just in case you don't think you can haul enough weight on a medium dual sport to take a long trip -

IMG_0560.JPG
I weigh about 230 lbs, and in that box are the hubs and new rotors for my son's F250 4x4. I estimate they weigh 150 lbs. With that much weight up high it was a little wobbly stop and go at intersections in town, but once I got moving I had no problems, except the lack of room - felt like I was in India where it's not uncommon for them to care the whole family and a live chicken for dinner on a 125 cc Enfield. It was windy, and the box did catch a fair amount of side wind, so I had to be careful to not get blown across the lanes. It also had no problem climbing a long hill on the way home. When I go back pack hunting I only cary about half that weight and that includes my rifle etc... I've camped off this bike before, but only for a couple days, and I've taken some longer trips, but I always had a place to stay at my destination so I just took a bivy sack for the road. As much as I'd like to have a bigger more comfortable bike for long trips - this one is paid for and super reliable. I'm seriously thinking about trying a month on it in the future sometime hopefully soon - and mostly boondocking to save money.

Attachments

• IMG_0560.JPG
    IMG_0560.JPG
    143.8 KB · Views: 13
passenger weight is 150 to 200 pounds. is that not typical and planned in design for two person motorcycle?

True, but I've ridden this bike 2 up for short distances before. In some ways it's easier as the passenger can move with you, some of the weight is lower, and a person's body is more airodynamic.  That said, I wouldn't want to ride that way long distance on a bike this size, although some do. But you take half that weight and pack the heavy stuff as low as possible, try and keep the shape rounded and tucked in, and it's totally doable. I mainly posted to get people thinking and out there with what they already have. You don't need a Gold Wing to live off of for several months at a time, even boondocking instead of hotels. Bob's recent blogs got me thinking about it, and then I had to haul that load home yesterday. If you look at Bob's pictures he had considerably less on his bike back in the day than many consider "essential" these days.

I toured two-up, with tank and saddlebags, on a Honda Hawk NT650 GT, have gone cross country San Diego CA to York ME on a Yamaha SR500, done endurance riding on all of the three Honda Hawks I've owned. There is replacement for displacement -- it's called will. And not needing to compensate for other areas in your life...

My next big purchase will be a KLR 650. Good choice in bikes. I've watched every YT video on those. The KLR is why I ditched the van idea, and instead will build out a 7x14 cargo trailer with a murphy style bed. Ride safe.

It's true I carried very little on that trip, but you have to remember it was a trip and I wasn't living off of it. I've done a lot of backpacking so the GS850 was the lap of luxury for me. If I was going to live off a bike I would want a big touring bike and a trailer. Very soon I'm going to do a post on the blog about a lady who lives off a Harley and a tear drop trailer.

On my drive up to Alaska last year I saw dozens of KLRs; they are nearly the perfect bike for it. They are perfect for the dirt portions and the construction and can carry plenty for the trip.

I'd say go for it! The KLR is plenty of bike for an extended camping trip as long as you can cruise comfortably at 65.
Bob

masterplumber said:
So, just in case you don't think you can haul enough weight on a medium dual sport to take a long trip -

I weigh about 230 lbs, and in that box are the hubs and new rotors for my son's F250 4x4. I estimate they weigh 150 lbs. 

Now all he needs are treads. (as in tank) to deal with the ice.
I hope Ben has a good trip.  (Lucky !!)

You forgot to mention that the road to your house is like going boondocking.  It is a nice back-road drive. I bet it was interesting with an extra 125 lbs at the tank level. 

If you plan on using that KLR for heavy hauling long term make sure you upgrade the rear sub frame bolts,
It is a requirement and we'll documented fact.
I love my KLR till the end of the earth and back. Had it for many years has 33 K miles on it :heart:

Mconlonx, you're absolutely correct, when there's a will there's a way. I've done some pretty long trips, just not long term boondocking. My biggest issue is I have the most time in the winter, and riding out of Colorado that time of year is hit and miss, and then I have to get home eventually. I,be ridden a couple of bigger bikes, and there is no doubt they are more comfortable. It's just the cost of ownership I can't justify. I've had my KLR for 4 1/2 years and I bet counting purchase, tires, oil changes, etc I have spent less than $4000. 

Milk Hauler, see my last note above. I purchased mine for $2500 with only 3500 miles and quite a few upgrades. That was a good deal, but not out of line with what I've seen. 

Bob, your trip is about the longest I can imagine getting away right now. You're correct, if you were to live off it full time you would need more room, especially for a dog. I think I would choose something like an older BMW GS with a sidecar attached. Could be built fairly cheaply, and still go most everywhere I would want to go. Really the only time I feel my KLR limits me is it's not real comfortable on those 600 to 800 mile highway days - simple solution, slow down and spend more time smelling the roses. 

Got Smart, Ben did get some new/used tires that will get him through until he finishes the harvest season and has some cash. He learned to drive on ice so it's not a big deal to him. He's just still trying to figure out how I drifted my crew cab around back to back appossing corners and still maintaining control :D The extra weight on the bike was fine once I was moving, but no crazy hooligans. 

Gsfish, that sounds like a load that could get a guy in trouble. I hope you were parked for a few days before starting the party, or have lots of drinking buddies :D

USACelt said:
If you plan on using that KLR for heavy hauling long term make sure you upgrade the rear sub frame bolts,
It is a requirement and we'll documented fact.
I love my KLR till the end of the earth and back. Had it for many years has 33 K miles on it   :heart:

Sorry, I forgot to reply to this one. The subframe bolts have been on my to do list for a long time, not sure why I haven't done them as it's fairly simple, especially when you consider I did my own doohickey upgrade right after I purchased it. I think I'll get them ordered ASAP. Going with the grade 8 through bolts rather than just upgrading the strength of the existing ones. I'm also going to upgrade the spring on the rear shock. A lot cheaper than a replacement setup and the stock shock is fine for my purposes. I've also read a number of stories of guys blowing the seals out of heavily loaded bikes with aftermarket nitrogen charged shocks. I already have progressive springs in the forks - a cheap upgrade when you have to replace the fork seals anyway. 

masterplumber said:
I mainly posted to get people thinking and out there with what they already have. You don't need a Gold Wing to live off of for several months at a time, even boondocking instead of hotels. Bob's recent blogs got me thinking about it, and then I had to haul that load home yesterday. If you look at Bob's pictures he had considerably less on his bike back in the day than many consider "essential" these days.

you are absolutely right about not needing a gold wing to do major trips, I travelled from Vancouver to Alaska then to Tennessee and back up to Ontario over 3 1/2 months on a 200 cc Vespa 14,000 ks, the length of New Zealand on a 150cc vespa, across 9000ks in Australia over two months on a 200cc vespa and toured Italy two up on a 250cc scooter for six weeks all very comfortable all without an issue, not even a flat tire. here is a picture of one of the scoots on the Alaska hwy entering the Yukon.All that and only two nights in motels
alaska hwy nrth 064 (Small).jpg

Attachments

• alaska hwy nrth 064 (Small).jpg
    alaska hwy nrth 064 (Small).jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 12
I just found these, this was the reason for one of the hotel rooms
alaska hwy to jasper 013 (Small).jpg

and this the reason for the other
alaska hwy to jasper 053 (Small).jpg

Attachments

• alaska hwy to jasper 013 (Small).jpg
    alaska hwy to jasper 013 (Small).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 12
  • alaska hwy to jasper 053 (Small).jpg
    alaska hwy to jasper 053 (Small).jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 10
My 2005 KLR has about 45,000 miles now, though I haven't been riding much the last couple years. There was about three years where it was my sole transportation. Been on several multistate roadtrips and camping trips, going to D/S meets. I weigh north of 350lbs, and my first trip I had about eighty pounds of gear, mostly on the expanded rear cargo rack. Bad idea, very unstable and that first rack failed half way to Tennessee from Florida, making me have to rope everything on. I made it.
Nest trip, a new rack design, a couple side boxes to get the heavy stuff down low, and MUCH less stuff! Rode up into NC with no trouble. braking distance with a load is longer, so care has to be taken approaching stops.
With my bike's age and miles, I have never 'upgraded' the subframe bolts or done the 'doohickey'. Yeah, I get 'the lectture' from other KLRistas all the time. My bike keeps motoring along nicely, overloaded like a pack mule.

Standard day-to-day trim with original rear rack:
esres9.jpg

On a road trip with leather side bags:
1zd66w3.jpg

LeeRevell said:
My 2005 KLR has about 45,000 miles now, though I haven't been riding much the last couple years.  There was about three years where it was my sole transportation.  Been on several multistate roadtrips and camping trips, going to D/S meets.  I weigh north of 350lbs, and my first trip I had about eighty pounds of gear, mostly on the expanded rear cargo rack.  Bad idea, very unstable and that first rack failed half way to Tennessee from Florida,  making me have to rope everything on.  I made it.
Nest trip, a new rack design, a couple side boxes to get the heavy stuff down low, and MUCH less stuff!  Rode up into NC with no trouble.   braking distance with a load is longer, so care has to be taken approaching stops.
With my bike's age and miles, I have never 'upgraded' the subframe bolts or done the 'doohickey'.   Yeah, I get 'the lectture' from other KLRistas all the time.  My bike keeps motoring along nicely, overloaded like a pack mule.

Standard day-to-day trim with original rear rack:
esres9.jpg

On a road trip with leather side bags:
1zd66w3.jpg

Glad to see it has worked for you :cool:

Attachments

• 10552456_10152397107919215_6491330647466665244_n.jpg
    10552456_10152397107919215_6491330647466665244_n.jpg
    42.8 KB · Views: 12
masterplumber said:
. He's just still trying to figure out how I drifted my crew cab around back to back opposing corners and still maintaining control :D  

We talked about that.  He has not learned the basic lesson from CARS.  One day it will hit him.   ;)

My KLR handles load better than any other bike I've loaded up or rode 2up. The first time I rode it 2 up it suprised me how well it did even on 4x4 roads, saddlebags loaded with ammo and clothes were near unnoticeable.
As long as you remember the KLR is a 30 year old big bore dirtbike with good street manners it will treat you right. A lot of people get a KLR and expect it to be a modern bike, it's not. Even the newest models have less than great brakes and suspension and vibrate like a 650 thumper should.
Kawasaki does cheap out on fasteners but they are still my favorite manufacture.

minimotos95 said:
My KLR handles load better than any other bike I've loaded up or rode 2up. The first time I rode it 2 up it suprised me how well it did even on 4x4 roads, saddlebags loaded with ammo and clothes were near unnoticeable.
As long as you remember the KLR is a 30 year old big bore dirtbike with good street manners it will treat you right. A lot of people get a KLR and expect it to be a modern bike, it's not. Even the newest models have less than great brakes and suspension and vibrate like a 650 thumper should.
Kawasaki does cheap out on fasteners but they are still my favorite manufacture.

They actually finally addressed the seat and suspension just this year or last. Part of what I like about it is the simple nature - a large part. I carry a tool roll that measures maybe 3'' in diameter, and a couple other tools like tire spoons, a small ball pein hammer, a chain breaker, and I think that's about it. I feel comfortable that should anything break I can completely rebuild the bike with what I have with me. But it's also so reliable since it's so simple that the only issues I've had on the road so far are: a couple flats from running over unseen things; a broken chain that I should have replaced before I headed out - it didn't look bad when I left, and I kept it oiled, but a 3000 mile trip can be hard on things like that, especially when the rain washes off the oil at highway speeds; and a random no starter issue that turned out to be just a piece fluff in the contacts of the button. I fixed them all myself easily and kept on rolling

Some owners have retro-fitted their KLRs with the earlier kickstart, but it is not jus a quick swap in. The side plate is changed of course, and other internals need to be modded. Ask over on the KLRWorld forum, someone there will let you know what all is required. I have at times missed this, compared to my old Honda I had in high school. I did push start the KLR once, down a parking garage ramp, when the battery failed. But it was not fun.
Some of us are carrying those wee LiFo batteries as backups.

I read about adding a kick starter a few years ago - it seems if I remember correctly that when they made the clutch larger or something like that the internals would no longer fit. Basically you would have to weaken a critical part to gain the kick start. I'd sure love to have one as a back up though, along with the lower first gear the 600 had.

95 or 96 was the last year where the kickstarter parts were basically drop in, like Masterplumber said they then changed the clutch or something. I tried finding the parts when I first got my KLR but couldn't find anything. If you want to do the swap finding a cheap 600 parts bike would be the easiest route.