Killed starter battery -- ideas for avoiding same mistake

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol...

Stargazer, would you please teach us some K.I.S.S. classes?

You know, Keep It Simple, Stupid. ;)

Why didn't WE think of that?  Of course, were not able to see the switch so we DO have that excuse to fall back on.

--------------------------------------

Years ago, I drove a Freightliner Columbia that had a problem with the driver door alarm triggering while driving, the computer thought the door was open when it was not.

We could not find that switch ANYWHERE. Door frame? Nope. Door itself? Nope.

Inside the door maybe? Nope...not there either.

After a long search online, in some obscure parts breakdown, we found it:

The switch was INTERNAL, built inside the hollow metal, door hinge arms!

Are they frikking kidding?

So...they held up a $5 door switch and built an ENTIRE 17,000 pound Class 8 Tractor around it?!?!?   :huh:

Jeeze.

We solved it by pulling the 15 amp fuse which ran the door alarm, the power door locks, (only 2)  and the buzzer.

Like I said, K.I.S.S.

The really smart engineers know nothing about the concept.

Hehe!  KISS rules my life.  I postponed getting this Class B for years because it meant I had to deal with all the systems.  I loved my E-150 passenger van that I gutted and built a simple camper.  Coffee can and plastic bags = bathroom.  Coleman stove, water jugs, and a collapsible basin = kitchen.  Solar rechargeable lantern for light.  Recharged iPhone from dash outlet/starter battery.  Xtreme ice chest as fridge.  Battery operated fan and Mr Heater Buddy for climate control.

I have learned a lot the past months.  But even now, I still carry the coffee can (it's the Folger's Aroma Seal ?) to avoid having to dump the holding tanks.  Old habits.

My late husband did all the man stuff; now it's up to me or the people I hire.  I am always afraid I'm gonna screw things up big time but am learning that I can do it (sometimes).   I just take a deep breath and keep telling myself I can do this, especially if I pick others' brains first.

Love the story of the 17,000 pound truck switch! I'm still smiling at that picture in my head.
Best wishes to all.