Keeping Cool

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Belchfire

Reaction score
It's gets pretty hot here in the summer and I will be sleeping part of the day up to noon
I can find shady spots but I wonder what can I do additionally to keep cool when sleeping ?

Not much...sleep at night if possible, if not then sleep early morning or late evening. i divide my sleep in half, since i work nights, to achieve this.

Keep where ever you are located in the bed away from the direction of the sun. if your sleeping in the back point the front into the sunrise for example. Use reflective sunshade of course, insulate cab from rear. If you can park near water, it is usually a few degrees cooler.

Cover/insulate every piece of metal in the sleeping area. Any exposed metal becomes a radiating heater into the space. Get a white vehicle if possible, or paint it white, or paint the roof bright white.

Martin, just spent the last forty minutes looking at your $800 conversion page and clicking on all the links. Nice!

But - now I have to take a whole lot of new notes to myself :~) ... thanks! Lots of good info.

Belchfire, not sure if you need stealth, but read on this form from Bob about putting a vent hole with screen on the bottom floor of a van. Then a roof top vent with a fan. The idea was you drawl air from under the van, the coolest spot, and vent it out the top. The vent hole they where taking about has a cap the screws on and seals during driving so not to get fumes in the van.

The noise from the fan would help me sleep - too.

Just read about this swamp cooler design today. Thought it was actually on this forum, but no luck finding it. Either way, the design on this looks doable and the concept is solid. I will be making one this summer to try it myself, hopefully the info helps! See link below...

https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=33842

I seem to recall somewhere here...... plywood on or under a rack on the roof? The idea is that you have a space between, or sumpin' like that? Anybody remember that post?

To find the write-up on roof rack with plywood for shade and solar,

Do this.

Use Van Conversion drop-down at top of page

Select - Inspiration-Charlene's story

Good stuff!

Bob

Bear in mind that all the things we're suggesting are good, but at the best all they will do is keep the van at outside temperature. If it's 110 outside, without these measures it could be 150 inside. With them it will be 110 inside.

Still pretty darned hot!

Bob

Cry said:
Just read about this swamp cooler design today. Thought it was actually on this forum, but no luck finding it. Either way, the design on this looks doable and the concept is solid. I will be making one this summer to try it myself, hopefully the info helps! See link below...

https://eplaya.burningman.com/viewtopic.php?t=33842

Rather than going with a swamp cooler, since they only work in areas of low humidity, the 12v air conditioners will work in any area.  They can be used with or without ice, and in water only mode, they do not need to be continually refilled since it is a closed system.

12v_AC_3.jpg

Attachments

• 12v_AC_3.jpg
    12v_AC_3.jpg
    46.8 KB
Looks like a great idea when in an area where you can use a swamp cooler.

I have a roof rack with plywood on it. this is the second truck I have done this. lowers the temps in my truck at least 10 degrees, because I am always in the shade. getting out of direct sun is the most important thing out west. remember air temps are measured 4 feet off the ground in the shade. this means that ground temps or temps taken in direct sunlight can be 10 to 60 degrees hotter even more, like on asphalt. I don't use ac so this is it. I do want to change the plywood for aluminum sheet. off grid what is this 12v ac the pic will not work for me. highdesertranger

Off Grid 24/7 said:
Rather than going with a swamp cooler, since they only work in areas of low humidity, the 12v air conditioners will work in any area.  They can be used with or without ice, and in water only mode, they do not need to be continually refilled since it is a closed system.

The image doesn't show for me. Googled 12v air conditioner, but not sure if what I found is what you're referring to. One of them was a lil over 400$. If you get a chance can you post a link to a good 12v one? Thnx if you can.

ok I got it now. although that would use less power than a compressor ac it's still going to consume some juice, depending on the fan and pump used. also it would be much easier to mount the cooling box higher than the cooler so that the condensation line gravity feeds back to the cooler instead of trying to make a venturi to suck the water higher. I would also recommend changing the water often, it's going to get disgusting pretty quick. also you are going to need a steady supply of ice, which if you are boondocking isn't going to be cheap. highdesertranger

akrvbob said:
Bear in mind that all the things we're suggesting are good, but at the best all they will do is keep the van at outside temperature. If it's 110 outside, without these measures it could be 150 inside. With them it will be 110 inside.

Still pretty darned hot!

Bob

This is why I plan to hit the mountains (or the coast) as soon as summer arrives, and spend the daytime hours outside the van (in a tent or, better yet, in an air-conditioned building) whenever possible.

I used to have to sleep in an ancient North Texas dormitory with no air conditioning. On the third floor. In late August. It was nasty but survivable. Eventually you just lose consciousness.

We may not be able to change the inside temperature, but with a turn of the key we can change the outside temperature!

Snowbirding works great for me!
Bob

akrvbob said:
We may not be able to change the inside temperature, but with  a turn of the key we can change the outside temperature!

Snowbirding works great for me!
Bob

You raise an interesting philosophical point, Bob.  If I can't go WHERE I want to go WHEN I want or need to be there, am I really living or am I just existing?

Are you truly the "master of your fate, the captain of your soul"?

Regards
John

Are you truly the "master of your fate, the captain of your soul"?

A good question once debated by Seinfeld, George and Cramer......    ;)

Basically, follow the weather you want!  Of course, family, work, etc. sometimes makes that impossible.