just installed a roof rack on the sprinter

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willsway128

Reaction score
7a3816bd853adc8b7006eef28e142fac.jpg
d1c036524f839f3075959a60ca33e791.jpg
f1b048deb787c2d37a53b745b7ba5ce6.jpg
5c5b2cd44e802ce2418a6fd8fb269e80.jpg

it's a Alurack unit. the sides were originally silver, so i painted them a semigloss blk.
look forward to adding a couple solar panels now.

Looks good. You can use it to hide the panels.

yes, I'm thinking of cutting an aluminum ladder up to frame in the solar panels..similar to what i was sketching below
737bae0ad9efe2c41f46eb0ad42c224a.jpg

i think it would be kinda stealthy.

it has 2 options. the sprinter has factory tracs mounted to the roof. or you can use the supplied mounts for Aluracks tracks..

willsway128 said:
it has 2 options. the sprinter has factory tracs mounted to the roof.  or you can use the supplied mounts for  Aluracks  tracks..

Roof-Rack-Perforated-Aluminum-Flooring.jpg

I was thinking going with perforated aluminum, possibly with cut-outs + recessed mounts for panels. I think this would break up the look from the ground so panels wouldn't be obvious?

I like your thought about using a ladder. I couldn't think it through to address some of the problems with that, so please post pics if you get it figured out and looking good!  :)

I'm also considering using 4" PVC pipes on rack as water storage...saw it in a couple pics that got me thinking. Anyone seen it done "cleanly" ?

Brad, so where are you getting aluminum punch plate that's cheap? highdesertranger

yes the aluminum is nice.
there was the one guy i had seen had a fird van with one hooked uo with outside shower. ut looked pretty clean. however the fittings were a bit if a give away,as far as stealth.. but al in all very nicely done. it was painted black as to make it a solar hot water heater.

I'm thinking that with some forethought, fittings can be easily hidden and run to interior in a way that rack mounts camouflage.

As for cheap materials, I'm kinda out of luck there...I live in Key West and there's no getting around either shipping or driving to mainland for the components I will need. I haven't really decided on a budget yet, as this seems to have much in common with boats (break out another thousand), at least in the initial stages. I'll need to prioritize what can get me living free of $1k month rent as quickly as reasonable. I figure to pull the trigger on Sprinter (financed) once I have 20k saved, so hopefully in the spring.

What year Sprinter is that in pics? Really looks nice...any pics of interior build so far?

oh, its "perforated aluminum" and I saw it on this site: http://www.aluminess.com/roof-racks/

yes n the unit could be made to taken off the rack .either for maintenance or to get a better sun angle.. i think this could be something of promise.
as for my sprinter its a 2014, with the turbo 4cyl diesel w 7 speed tranny.
3ab8ef1ee2ddebfec9b4355af3df618b.jpg
15/10/18/d026ea63d98414c1e877794d714db7ce.jpg[/IMG]
that a couple pics of the inside. im sure people dont want to keep seeing the same van pics.

I am using the Yakima mega warrior with the extension and could have used some more space like yours, Having had mine up and running for 2 years the panel on the hi-top are so high
this in itself is a great deterrent plus its attached by 20 ss screws. I have a 4" 10ft long passive water heating system in the works and will post pics as soon as it's up.

I plan to make it easy to remove.