Just getting started..

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lovetotravel

Reaction score
Hello to all,

My husband and I are 54 years young.  He will be retiring next August. We live in Southern Mississippi on the coast.  We have just started looking for a van to convert.  We are looking for a high top so he will not have to stoop so low.  He is 6'1.  I am 5'4.  I want to travel the US before I am too old to do so.  I love state parks, National Parks etc.  We will not be doing the solar thing right off, as we just plan to stay where we have elect and water.
Any thoughts on that idea?
We will not be doing this full time- but part time.  We plan on moving to Gulf SHores Alabama, as this is where my son lives and my husband will work part time with him, and then we will travel during slow times.
Hi top vans seem very hard to find down here.  My husband is scared of the older models 1999 etc. but I think with low miles there should not be much of an issue. Ideas on this as well are appreciated.
Any fail proof ideas or tips will be appreciated. must haves, don't bother etc.
Thank you and we look forward to our van life .
Lora and Danny

I too am looking for a high top van or a cargo van and want to do the solar panel thing but I am afraid of being not in a stealth mode while traveling right now all I have is a 2006 Chrysler Town and Country van which is not really much room so what I am asking is how old is too old for a van?

Sent from my VS880 using Tapatalk

Welcome Lora and Danny to the CRVL forums! To help you learn the ins and outs of these forums, this "Tips & Tricks" post lists some helpful information to get you started. We look forward to hearing more from you. highdesertranger

Welcome to the CRVL Forums   :) 

If you want to consider something with room like you seek a Shuttle Van may work and be easier to find than a high top van.  Have more room too.  You may find them with Diesel or Gas.  Maybe even one that can run Propane.    It may be worth trying to locate one in an area where it hasn't had a lot of highway miles on it. 
I live in the Ohio Valley and these things tend to sit around cause the market for them here is so limited.

But read this and see what you think.

http://www.fatherof11.com/shuttle_bus.html

Then look at this old guy's rig

https://vanlivingforum.com/Thread-Here-s-a-nifty-rig-I-saw

This old guy has converted it to suit his needs.  You may not need the trailer like he has at all. 
If you stay in Parks with improved camp grounds there may be bath houses and laundry facilities.  So all you would need is your kitchenette and bedding.  But you can improvise on this idea.

Latest posts