Just a sign of the times I guess...

Van Living Forum

Help Support Van Living Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
slow2day said:
There are some really hairy passes out in the western parts of CO on the TAT that my little bike might not handle. The CDT is a little tamer.

HA!!...a smaller bike is often a better thing then a bigger bike when trail riding. a good friend of mine just completed the ENTIRE T.A.T. riding this contraption!! VVV

View attachment Doug's hack.bmp

(whadda nut!!!) :p

Attachments

• Doug's hack.bmp
    1.7 MB · Views: 17
I remember reading on ADVRider there was a guy who talked of doing it on a HD with a hack but on that thread I thought he was just joking!
Dang, I thought there were spots where that thing would have been too wide but maybe not. At least he didn't have to worry about picking up a heavy bike after taking a spill..LOL.

I don't know, I just might head west taking my time in July/Aug and then early Sept. might be cool enough for crossing UT and NV.

One thing good about getting 85 MPG on a little bike is that you have $ leftover for motels...

Dang DC, this library PC blocks Youtube...

Giant turtles and pizza?

I would take it more as a sign of the people and place. Time may have diminished helpful spirits in many places but I know I feel much more at ease on the road in rural America than I ever do in a city. The rule seems to always prove itself.

The more people you see, the less help you can expect. In North dakota where I grew up and in many places of the country, a strangers help on the road can mean the difference between life and death.

I doubt this instinct is cultivated much where children grow up in 4G bubbles filled with tow trucks and credit cards and triple A discounts. But I think it's alive and well deep down inside, under the judge Judy and Justin Bieber. I don't think a few generations of abysmal social parentage can deny genetic memory her due.

@Patrick:

Very entertaining. I also liked the one about 3 guys riding old 305 Honda DREAMS...

Van update:

Flushed it and it's running cooler but it still leaks and did overheat on a big hill in S. Idaho. Completely different experience this time. The first guy to come along as I sat by the side of the road checked on me and even gave me a 3/4 full jug of coolant. Two other cars stopped while I was letting it cool. My faith in humanity is restored!

I bought a water pump, timing chain set and timing cover gasket set and continued to SLC. Today I needed to stopped 3 times on I-80 to let her cool and add coolant. The forecast for SLC today was 93 but here in Green River,WY it only got to 80, so I kinda lucked out. I'm going to take it slow to Ft.Collins and a buddy there is going to help me fix it this weekend.

nice and easy, keep an eye on that temperature gauge, keep her full of water, and you should be OK.

you're coming into the flatlands now, so that'll help too!